Worst ISU Football Team You've Watched

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
The discussion about how sports were during our college years would be an interesting thread -- see who had the best and worst overall experiences. Plus it'd give another chance for the younger CF members to laugh at us geezers for how old we are. ;)

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Being a student from 2014-2019 wasn't bad.. 3 Big 12 Tourney Championships, a Sweet 16, 3 good football seasons resulting in 3 bowl appearances and some awesome upsets at JTS. I got lucky it sounds like.
That would be a good time period. I was fall of 10 to spring of 14. I think that was pretty lucky too. Only 1 really bad football season and 1 really tough basketball one. Got to see Hilton come back to life.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I was in Ames from fall 2005 to fall 2010.

******* terrible timing for sports.

A few bright spots (e.g., winning our last game in Lincoln and clowning Iowa somehow) but mostly just a series of disasters, especially for basketball.

WBB and VB were really good, though.

Reactions: Statefan10

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
OK, so not the most uplifting thread, but I think we're pretty used to discussing our abysmal history as a football program. Which ISU was the most hopeless that you watched in person? The 0-10-1 team was obviously terrible, but I was too young to catch any of those games.

Listening to the 77-14 beatdown from Nebraska in 1997 was bad, but the worst team I've seen play was McCarney's 2003 squad. Seneca was gone, and we were counting on Austin Flynn to keep the "momentum" from 2000-2002 going. I don't remember if he got hurt or benched, but we went from Flynn to Waye Terry to Cris Love at QB. They were outscored 343-71 in Big 12 play. I had a good time at the Kansas State game, which we lost 45-0.

the 80’s. Pick one.

VegasCy

Dec 16, 2018
1964: 0-9-1

Only win was against Drake, only tie was 0-0, and held to 7 points or fewer in all but 2 games.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
Fall of 2006 through Spring of 2010 sure would have been a crappy time to be a student going to games.
It certainly was. Only thing we had to hang our hats on was the bowl win in ‘09 and that was probably the most boring game I’ve watched. The road trip was fun though.

Reactions: awd4cy

NebraskaCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 3, 2009
Omaha
I think the 2003 team actually had some talent. We won 7 games the year before and after. They just lacked leadership and the team appeared to quit down the stretch.

The 2014 team had a little talent too, but man, that year ended about as bad as a college football team could get.

I don't have a great recollection of the '97 team but that team was 1-10 and simply one of the least talented teams in all of football. We had no business being on the same field as the good teams in the big 12. 77-14 where Nebraska was playing with us in the 2nd quarter is a good example. .. it was what, 63-0 at the half?

'97 was the year we beat a horrible Baylor team at home for our only win and the students tore down the goal posts. That was the last time they have ever come down. Fans have bent the posts, but have never broken them.

I was at the Nebraska game. It was my sophomore year, and my allegiance to my childhood team was starting to flip. I wanted to root for the cyclones in that game, but it got out of hand so quick. 7 1/2 minutes into the game and the score was 28-0. They had 7 possessions in the first half and 7 TDs, culminating with a Frost QB sneak as time expired at halftime. My HS buddy and I went back to his dorms at that point.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
That KU ice bowl was a freakin blast. The crowd was rowdy as hell and pretty much anything in the stands was fair game. Easily in my top 5 JTS games.

The Colorado blizzard game Nov. of 91' made the KU game of 13' seem like a nice winter evening. The worst season/game........seen too many. However, the one game that sticks out in my mind is a game against OU in the mid 80's where the Sooner starters came out with sweats on to the start of the second half.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
100% agree. May have been more liquor bottles than people in the stands....

I "remember" at one point a couple of Ames police officers walked down our aisle and noticed flasks, bottles, and cans everywhere. LOL the officers just looked at each other, shook their heads, laughed, and just walked away.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
'97 was the year we beat a horrible Baylor team at home for our only win and the students tore down the goal posts. That was the last time they have ever come down. Fans have bent the posts, but have never broken them.

I was at the Nebraska game. It was my sophomore year, and my allegiance to my childhood team was starting to flip. I wanted to root for the cyclones in that game, but it got out of hand so quick. 7 1/2 minutes into the game and the score was 28-0. They had 7 possessions in the first half and 7 TDs, culminating with a Frost QB sneak as time expired at halftime. My HS buddy and I went back to his dorms at that point.

I was in high school at the time but staying with my brother (student) for the weekend and I may or may not have assisted in tearing those goalposts down. After they came down the students carried them out of JTS and threw them in lake laverne.

Reactions: Statefan10

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
The discussion about how sports were during our college years would be an interesting thread -- see who had the best and worst overall experiences. Plus it'd give another chance for the younger CF members to laugh at us geezers for how old we are. ;)

I was at ISU from 2003-2008. I was in marching band for the 2004, 2005, and 2006 FB seasons. It was a mixed bag of sports for me during my time at ISU. 2003 FB was awful, but I didn't pay it much attention. Got to go to two bowl games while in marching band: Independence Bowl and Texas Bowl. 2006 was an abysmal team, but got to see McCarney go out with a bang.

BBall during that time wasn't great. I think I may have attended 2 or 3 mens bball games my entire time at ISU. I saw the Morgan/Stinson/Blaylock/Clark years where the biggest highlight was almost reaching the finals of the NIT. I've honestly never really followed ISU Bball for this reason, I think. It wasn't great when I was there, so I never really got hooked on it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron