Gas mileage at altitude - explain like I'm 6

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
When I Ask Jeeves, he says MPG at altitude goes UP due to manifold air pressure (or Johnson rods rotated) or something and that lower octane fuel - in this case 85 - is a better alternative. I recently (in the last 5 days) moved to CoSprings from Spokane. 2,500' vs. 6,500' and my milage has gone down.

Can a car guy/gal, or engineer with communication skills explain it as if I'm 6?

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I wouldn’t expect a huge difference either way given a 4000’ difference in a modern, FI vehicle.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The air is less dense at altitude and therefore assists the aerodynamics of your vehicle, making it more fuel efficient.

Signed,

someone that knows nothing about the topic and just made that **** up

Reactions: aauummm

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Clearly, at this new higher altitude, you’re driving uphill both ways.
/thread

Reactions: SpokaneCY

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
As altitude increases, air gets thinner. At higher altitudes, the same volume of thinner air contains less oxygen to combust with the fuel. Combustion efficiency goes down.

Generally speaking, an engine loses three percent of its rated power for every 1,000 feet of altitude gained.

Edit: I should add that a computer chip in your car tries to control the fuel to air ratio for your driving conditions. It will take it some time to figure out your typical air density has changed and will stop sending as much gas for every cycle. You'll still have less power but you won't be wasting as much gas to get that lesser power output. Same reason why lower octane gas is ok.

Last edited:

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
As altitude increases, air gets thinner. At higher altitudes, the same volume of thinner air contains less oxygen to combust with the fuel. Combustion efficiency goes down.

Generally speaking, an engine loses three percent of its rated power for every 1,000 feet of altitude gained.
Agree.

Also: "Turbocharging at elevation
is an efficient way to minimize horsepower loss due to elevation and lower air density. At high elevations turbochargers compress more air into the engine cylinders making up for the lower air density allowing the engine to produce power as if it was at sea level."

So the OP needs to get a turbocharged car to improve power and gas mileage. However as someone noted above, 4,000 ft elevation rise isn't much and isn't enough to worry about.

Last edited:

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

Edit: I should add that a computer chip in your car tries to control the fuel to air ratio for your driving conditions. It will take it some time to figure out your typical air density has changed and will stop sending as much gas for every cycle. You'll still have less power but you won't be wasting as much gas to get that lesser power output. Same reason why lower octane gas is ok.

I HAVE noticed less oomph from my CRV sex-mobile...

And you confirmed what Jeeves said but you DID provide way more detail on the why... Greatly appreciated!

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Agree. "Turbocharging at elevation is an efficient way to minimize horsepower loss due to elevation and lower air density. At high elevations turbochargers compress more air into the engine cylinders making up for the lower air density allowing the engine to produce power as if it was at sea level."

So the OP needs to get a turbocharged car to improve power and gas mileage. However as someone noted above, 4,000 ft elevation rise isn't much and isn't enough to worry about.

Kinda sounding like the car just has to learn the new driving environment.

Reactions: aauummm

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
BTW, my gallons per week rate the last four months is out ******* standing.

And, I'm a flatlander with no weed, just lots and lots of wine.