***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Think its getting told you wont play at your current school

I thought it was a little more than, "You are going to be nothing more than a benchwarmer." I thought it was more something like, "We need your scholarship for a better option, so you are not welcome back to the team." I thought that was a run-off.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I thought it was a little more than, "You are going to be nothing more than a benchwarmer." I thought it was more something like, "We need your scholarship for a better option, so you are not welcome back to the team." I thought that was a run-off.
I'm guessing it does depend on the language used, but if the coach tells you that he believes you're going to have a better opportunity somewhere else, I think that's essentially a nice way of putting "we'd like you to leave".

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I'm guessing it does depend on the language used, but if the coach tells you that he believes you're going to have a better opportunity somewhere else, I think that's essentially a nice way of putting "we'd like you to leave".

Yeah, I would agree that the phrasing would matter. I think there's got to be a clear division between a coach telling a guy, "Your minutes are likely to be limited," but you are welcome back because you might develop later and/or you are useful in the locker room and practice. Or, more properly, the coach has not found somebody better yet to fill your spot. Compared that to saying, "You might want to explore other options" when the program is linked to a high-profile transfer to replace you on the scholarship chart.

When somebody tells me that, I know I am no longer welcome.

Jun 16, 2020
www.isucyclonesports.com
Here’s a bit more on Transfer Target Javian Davis: https://www.isucyclonesports.com/blog/cyclone-transfer-target-javian-davis
Iowa State did recruit him out of high school and he looks solid, was a bit up and down last season, but I think he could help the Cyclones. Not sure how hard the coaching staff will go at him, however, will all the talented bigs the Cyclones already have. He would add much needed experience though.

Attachments

• D0E77306-DE6C-4319-B8BB-F7AA083D25FE.jpeg
    D0E77306-DE6C-4319-B8BB-F7AA083D25FE.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 17

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Here’s a bit more on Transfer Target Javian Davis: https://www.isucyclonesports.com/blog/cyclone-transfer-target-javian-davis
Iowa State did recruit him out of high school and he looks solid, was a bit up and down last season, but I think he could help the Cyclones. Not sure how hard the coaching staff will go at him, however, will all the talented bigs the Cyclones already have. He would add much needed experience though.

If he was a sit one, play three, then he would (1.) not clog up the 4-5 crowd and (2.) essentially replace Solomon Young after next year. Big men take extra time to develop, too, so having that year to grow as a player could really help him.

Young = 6'9" 242
Davis = 6'9" 242

Going through his freshman numbers...

PRPG! = 1.4 (roughly that of a low-quality bench guy)
MIN = 39.2%
ORTG = 110.9 (and that is pretty good, freshman Solo was 113.0)
USG = 17.9%
TS = 62.1% (very good)
OR = 9.7% (acceptable/good here)
DR = 14.9% (not as good here)
AST = 4.7%
TO = 19.6% (and this is pretty scary, definitely needs to improve here)
FT% = 61.5% (this too, otherwise it is going to be hack-a-Javian)
3% = 25.0% (on 2/8, so not an outside guy)

I do not know what he adds on defense, but based on the above, he was pretty good for a freshman big man in the SEC. I think he is worth a take assuming he has to redshirt to work on his strength and his free throw shooting.

The guy above shooting 80%+ from the line would be a very good player and be able to replace Solomon in the lineup. Maybe not as a starter, but he should be at least as good as Solomon was as a freshman and sophomore.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
If he was a sit one, play three, then he would (1.) not clog up the 4-5 crowd and (2.) essentially replace Solomon Young after next year. Big men take extra time to develop, too, so having that year to grow as a player could really help him.

Young = 6'9" 242
Davis = 6'9" 242

Going through his freshman numbers...

PRPG! = 1.4 (roughly that of a low-quality bench guy)
MIN = 39.2%
ORTG = 110.9 (and that is pretty good, freshman Solo was 113.0)
USG = 17.9%
TS = 62.1% (very good)
OR = 9.7% (acceptable/good here)
DR = 14.9% (not as good here)
AST = 4.7%
TO = 19.6% (and this is pretty scary, definitely needs to improve here)
FT% = 61.5% (this too, otherwise it is going to be hack-a-Javian)
3% = 25.0% (on 2/8, so not an outside guy)

I do not know what he adds on defense, but based on the above, he was pretty good for a freshman big man in the SEC. I think he is worth a take assuming he has to redshirt to work on his strength and his free throw shooting.

The guy above shooting 80%+ from the line would be a very good player and be able to replace Solomon in the lineup. Maybe not as a starter, but he should be at least as good as Solomon was as a freshman and sophomore.
When did Solo grow an inch?

davehon

Apr 4, 2015
If ISU were to land another transfer we need a 3 year guy sit one play 2. Not that it matters a ton but next year we have Bolton, Conditt, Gibson, Harris and Johnson. That's alot to replace, would be nice not to have to replace another guy.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
If ISU were to land another transfer we need a 3 year guy sit one play 2. Not that it matters a ton but next year we have Bolton, Conditt, Gibson, Harris and Johnson. That's alot to replace, would be nice not to have to replace another guy.

Totally get your thought process... but things change so fast from one year to the next it is just better to plan for next year and maybe the year after. The best rule is take the best talent now and figure out the roster later.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Totally get your thought process... but things change so fast from one year to the next it is just better to plan for next year and maybe the year after. The best rule is take the best talent now and figure out the roster later.

Agreed, but a sit-one play-one guy means potentially six seniors the year after next. We saw what happens last year when your roster goes off a cliff. Add to that with any other transfers or somebody like Xavier Foster going pro early.

That guy better be Shayok (or at least a very good player) to be worth it.

Last edited:

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

A GT TRUE PG would be the homerun. Our 2020 class is already in place to replace those guys. I'd like to see a solid 21 & 22 class to build on their talent.

davehon

Apr 4, 2015
A GT TRUE PG would be the homerun. Our 2020 class is already in place to replace those guys. I'd like to see a solid 21 & 22 class to build on their talent.
I agree. You take talent and then adjust later. I would live for another strong class for 21 and 22. But if we take a sit one play still this year it better be Shayok type rather than a Talley type.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids