Star Wars - How to Properly View

Joe4Cy

Mar 5, 2010
Urbandale
www.comedyxp.tv
...I bet you could watch many of them together at the same time, and they would hit the same plot points at about the same time over and over again for each film. ...

For sure. There are even writing "guides" or "manuals" available if you want to write a movie script available. Paraphrasing: by Page X of your script, your main character should have A, B, and C. And then big action scene.

Don't get me wrong, I love movies, although not a cine-file. It does get tiring watching approximately the same move over and over. I mean really, what's the difference between Iron Man and Ant Man?

Back to Star Wars: once you make it through 4, 5, 6, and you have Disney+, jump into the Mandelorian.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
For sure. There are even writing "guides" or "manuals" available if you want to write a movie script available. Paraphrasing: by Page X of your script, your main character should have A, B, and C. And then big action scene.

Don't get me wrong, I love movies, although not a cine-file. It does get tiring watching approximately the same move over and over. I mean really, what's the difference between Iron Man and Ant Man?

Back to Star Wars: once you make it through 4, 5, 6, and you have Disney+, jump into the Mandelorian.

I read Save the Cat! when I was in college, so yeah, I am familiar.

The bad things about that --

Whenever a script follows the, well, "script," my brain picks up on it pretty early, and the rest of the movie becomes pretty boring. I can see the screenplay writers thinking and checking the boxes as we work the rest of the way through it. That is roughly how I feel about most Marvel films and why some people can rave about them (when they are looking for spectacle and entertainment) while I find most of them pretty forgettable.

The good thing about it --

While knowledge of this has made a lot of "good" films into mediocre ones for me, I think it allows me to truly drink in the great ones more. Those can include the films that follow the formula but are so good and immersive that you forget about it (e.g., Mad Mad: Fury Road) or those who break the mold and can truly surprise you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe4Cy

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
First watch
1. Star Wars
2. The Empire Strikes Back
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Revenge of the Sith Prequel Tale
5. Rogue One Prequel Tale
6. The Mandalorian series

Second watch if you're loving Star Wars:
7. The Force Awakens
8. The Last Jedi
9. The Rise of Skywalker
10. Animated Clone Wars and Rebels series
11. Solo

Don't watch
The phantom menace
Attack of the clones

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
15e452f57aebf25ac5b6b93475640227.jpg

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Easier said than done. I'm a laserdisc hobbiest for this reason.
I burned copies of the "Despecialized" editions the community pieced together onto BluRays. I'm glad I have them, and they're my preferred way of watching the OT, but no normal person is going to jump through all the hoops necessary to watch/own them

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I burned copies of the "Despecialized" editions the community pieced together onto BluRays. I'm glad I have them, and they're my preferred way of watching the OT, but no normal person is going to jump through all the hoops necessary to watch/own them

Most who think they're getting theatrical cut are just getting a less altered version.

I've seen the despecialized but grown attached to the hulking laserdisc players. At one point I had about 400 other movies on the platform but now just 100 of my favorites. The discs weigh a ton when you move, way heavier than a vinyl record the same size.

Reactions: Bader

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Boy I am just breezing over these posts because I don’t want anything spoiled but I felt there was going to be a wonderful debate today. I can’t even understand (YET) wtf people are even talking about.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
All I have to say is "Wookie family", the god awful Wookie family

Whenever somebody pulls the "I wish they would have stuck to the original plan with The Return of the Jedi and had the wookies/Kashyyyk instead of the ewoks/Endor," I always counter, "So you wanted to have Chewie's family in ROTJ instead? You think that Lumpy and Itchy got screwed and should have been on the big screen?"

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Boy I am just breezing over these posts because I don’t want anything spoiled but I felt there was going to be a wonderful debate today. I can’t even understand (YET) wtf people are even talking about.

Can't go wrong with just watching the original trilogy first. The first two are universally loved and even the few who may not like Return of the Jedi will admit it'll be your kid's favorite.

I actually think RotJ is the darkest and most adult in many ways but others prefer to fixate on teddy bears.

If you watch the original trilogy and love it Rogue One and The Mandalorian are perfect love letters to the original trilogy.

Reactions: JM4CY

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Can't go wrong with just watching the original trilogy first. The first two are universally loved and even the few who may not like Return of the Jedi will admit it'll be your kid's favorite.

I actually think RotJ is the darkest and most adult in many ways but others prefer to fixate on teddy bears.

If you watch the original trilogy and love it Rogue One and The Mandalorian are perfect love letters to the original trilogy.

This podcast clip has a very articulate defense of ROTJ and the teddy bears --

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
To date I have 5 Agrees and 4 Disagrees on this.

Let's discuss the franchise more here. How can it be so revered with:
- Jar Jar
- 1978 Holiday Special which was awful and should have been our first clue where the franchise was headed
- Ewoks
- Director's Cuts of 4,5,6 which moved things around
- Solo
- Renaming a movie, are you serious?

Seriously only 4 and 5 are worth watching again.

It’s revered because of the Original trilogy, not the prequels or holiday special or sequels or directors cuts. Those other things are only popular or even worth watching because of people’s affinity for 4,5,6.

Why do people still love those movies? They were so ground breaking back in the day. They introduced a world that no one dreamed could be shown in a movie theatre. Character development was off the charts good. So was the score. Effects were beyond what anyone had ever seen. Just the imagination that those movies spurred in a whole generation of kids...unreal.

Watch the behind the scenes stuff from the mandalorian on Disney plus. That’s an incredibly diverse group of directors who are there because of the impact those movies had on them.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
e2umw1q.png

Funny you say this. Theres a game called Battlefront 2 where they added content to the game called Ewok Hunt (I think). The premise of the match is for the Ewok to kill the storm troopers in the dark. As Strom troopers die, they spawn as ewoks. The storm troopers need to survive long enough in the night for a shuttle to come and pick them up.

I don't have the game myself, but I have watched YouTube videos of it.

Reactions: NetflixAndClone

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Funny you say this. Theres a game called Battlefront 2 where they added content to the game called Ewok Hunt (I think). The premise of the match is for the Ewok to kill the storm troopers in the dark. As Strom troopers die, they spawn as ewoks. The storm troopers need to survive long enough in the night for a shuttle to come and pick them up.

I don't have the game myself, but I have watched YouTube videos of it.
I have the game, yeah I love that game mode. The map is pitch black for stormtroopers but you get a flashlight. The flashlights has juice for about 30 secs until you need to charge it. Ewoks get spears and night vision.

gets pretty wild when all the stormtroopers are rushing to the shuttle and everyone is dropping like flies to little 3 feet tall teddy bears.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Finished 4,5,6 Finally. Little JM wanted a light saber and a skyWalker figure for Xmas so I think he liked it. I enjoyed it thoroughly. I’m kinda bummed every says the rest of them suck. Watching rogue one now.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
It's kind of crazy how 60% of the series is unwatchable garbage... But the other 40 is great.