Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Would be a real shame if Fran lucked* into recruiting a legitimate NPOY, and he never plays in the NCAA Tournament.

*I don't think anyone envisioned Garza becoming the caliber of player he is
He played in the NCAA tournament.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
This is such an underrated part of the whole Luka saga. As a first generation American on his mother’s side he isn’t counted against the American player cap in Eurobasket. So he will get tremendous offers from the highest level European teams. Guys who fit that category are really valuable.
You can make BANK over seas. People don't realize that. Far more money than you can make playing as an end of the bench guy in the NBA.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Interesting that he’s announcing day before the deadline..

if he knew he was returning I’d think he’s announce now..

or maybe he’s going up until the last day to make use of every day he can to woo an nba team?

We will also know fate of cfball by then. If fball is cancelled there ain’t gonna be a b-ball season

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
He gone. His draft stock isn’t going to be any higher next season, and who knows if there will even be a season this year?

Also, why does his Dad run his life? Can’t Luka speak for himself?

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
Garza played in it his sophomore year but yes, it would certainly be incredibly unlucky that he didn't get a shot to play in the tournament the two years he was playing at his highest level. If Iowa would've made a little run on the back of Luka last year, that would've helped his exposure too.
I selfishly hope he stays put and is able to play this season. No matter what the outcome of the season is for the Hawks, I just want to watch him play because I enjoy the hell out of it. It made watching Hawkeye basketball games must see TV at my house for the first time in a long while.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I selfishly hope he stays put and is able to play this season. No matter what the outcome of the season is for the Hawks, I just want to watch him play because I enjoy the hell out of it. It made watching Hawkeye basketball games must see TV at my house for the first time in a long while.
We know how you feel.. We've gone through this many times, including this year with Tyrese. My mindset has always been go get paid young man.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Wow. Big swing and a miss here.

Not really. Garza was a nice young player, but completely forgettable. Clearly. You have to admit it would sting if you have a 1st team AA caliber player, and he never plays at that level in the tourney.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Not really. Garza was a nice young player, but completely forgettable. Clearly. You have to admit it would sting if you have a 1st team AA caliber player, and he never plays at that level in the tourney.
Garza is not someone you forget. If he leaves, his legacy will always be "what could've been". That sucks but seems like it'll be the reality of it.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Garza is not someone you forget. If he leaves, his legacy will always be "what could've been". That sucks but seems like it'll be the reality of it.

Unless you're an Iowa fan, Luka Garza was a forgettable player as a freshman and sophomore. A nice player, but forgettable.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Unless you're an Iowa fan, Luka Garza was a forgettable player as a freshman and sophomore. A nice player, but forgettable.
I'm sure he's going to be remembered more for his tremendous junior year and not his first two years.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
We know how you feel.. We've gone through this many times, including this year with Tyrese. My mindset has always been go get paid young man.

I still believe Garza will return to Iowa. I will never disagree with a player deciding to go professional there is a small time frame for a pro career and set up their future earnings.

Tyrese and Garza are in different categories though there isn't any real way TH can improve his stock over being a top 10 pick where as Garza is unlikely to be drafted. Garza needs to be at peace with being rich overseas to take the risk now with an outside chance of a 2 way contract.

I do see an argument Luka's stock is peak regardless. Not having individual workouts and the NBA combine where he's going up against more NBA prototype prospects helps his case. I don't think those workouts will be kind to him next year. Scouts are just going off his production against Big 10 posts last year which are of lesser quality and make him look adequate. Not really a knock on Garza he just has lateral movement limitations the NBA requires. I am not sure what more Fran can do to get him to improve those skills and improve his stock either.

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
That's not how you stated it to begin with. Fran also didn't "luck" into him. He was in on him early. Fran also thinks every player he recruits could be an AA. He just happened to be right this time. If you want to question anything it would be how much credit Fran deserves for his development.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I'm sure he's going to be remembered more for his tremendous junior year and not his first two years.

A tremendous junior year that wasn't finished. It's going to get lost with no post season of any kind and how covid has played out.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
That's not how you stated it to begin with. Fran also didn't "luck" into him. He was in on him early. Fran also thinks every player he recruits could be an AA. He just happened to be right this time. If you want to question anything it would be how much credit Fran deserves for his development.

You're right. I made a mistake. I forgot about Iowa's epic 1st round win over Cincinnati two seasons ago. Garza might as well be a different player when compared to his role/play in that season.

A borderline top 100 player that's an honorable mention type his first two seasons suddenly transforming into a NPOY candidate requires a little luck in that it is rare. It's not an insult. I would be sour if ISU had that caliber of a player, and he didn't get to play at that level in the tournament.

For the record, I think Garza comes back, but Covid has thrown a massive wrench into the decision.