OT: That's It, I Quit!

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I have boring quitting stories. One basically had a guy steal a book I left in a truck the week I was leaving because he claimed we were not allowed to read while working (it was done while sitting there and waiting for other things...pretty much everyone had a book they carried with them).

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Not a quitting story but I remember once we were asked to fill out an employee survey at the restaurant I worked at. Basically a way to make sure employees' thoughts and concerns were heard. I remember writing something to the effect "Sometimes I feel like my requests for certain times off are not listened to."

Couple days later the manager (owners son) pulls me into the office and yells/bullies me for "going around saying how bad the management is". That business is no longer in business though I don't think it's because of the manager...just an interesting story popping back into my head 15 years later.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
I left a job I was good at within 6-12 months of a promotion because my boss at the time was 1. a sociopath who would get enraged easily and not let anything go, even after months and 2. deliberately slow played my development so that I was still working for him longer (and making him more money because I was good at my job). He had no idea I was looking. Didn't even have a formal interview for the new job (job I'm currently in) and got an offer.

Went into his office on a Friday at 4 (we were both leaving at 5) and told him I got this offer and that I was going to accept because it was better pay, better hours, and the boss wasn't a psycho. He was shocked and pleaded with me to stay. Asked me to take the weekend to decide (I already had my mind made up) and give him my final answer on Monday. I told him, "No, I don't think I will".

Left 2 weeks later and have never been happier. I still talk with some of my former co-workers. They said he has since gotten more enraged and is still confused to as why I left. He acts like a jilted lover. I've run into him a couple of times since and he refused to acknowledge me.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I worked for a engineering company in Story County and was their top sales guy, but since It wasn't a commission based pay grade, I got straight salary. Business got tough with the ag economy and ag consolidations that were going. Had a friend recommend a position for me. I interviewed for it with the owner of the company at Wallaby's over lunch, was offered the position, but I counter offered for 30% increase of more of my current salary, and he agreed!!

I told my boss that someone approached with a job offer, and that I wasn't actively looking for a different job. I knew full well with the salary I was offered, they wouldn't match it. I played them like a fiddle and loved every moment. So my boss took me to lunch and him hawed around, meanwhile I'm just sitting back enjoying lunch. When he said they could only offer me $1,000 raise, I pulled my resignation letter out and gave it to him. Totally caught him off guard. I had told him what my timeline was on the job offer and he acted like I was going to do this all along. I told him "yes, I was but I gave you first chance to get me to where I needed to be and you kept stringing me along." Even to the point he wanted me to give him reasons why I needed a salary increase! JFC!! I was like "you know my sales history and what I do day in and day out." That was the beginning of the end. I left in good terms, they even gave me a going away party. Earlier in the year I ran into my old boss and we sat and talked about everything. I told him that I knew he was doing what ownership gave him to offer me. I have no hard feeling against him, just the money hungry family ownership. I thank the good Lord for where I am at today.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I have no hard feeling against him, just the money hungry family ownership. I thank the good Lord for where I am at today.

Your story sounded similar to mine, in a way. I left my first company for family reasons. They had this "company first" culture where you moved or traveled wherever they needed you to on a moments notice, and you "deal with the family stuff later." Once our first child was born, we weren't willing to sign up for that anymore. When I gave my notice, I told my boss we wanted to settle in the midwest so we could stay close to family and not have to worry about being relocated on a whim.

He begged me to reconsider quitting, and said he'd take it all the way to the VP of the company and come up with something to get me to stay. I gave him 48 hours to respond. So, two days later, he calls me in, sits me down and says "Ok. I've vetted this with the VP...you can move to either Phoenix, or Edmonton. It's entirely up to you." I knew at that point, it was over, because they hadn't even listened to what I said.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Your story sounded similar to mine, in a way. I left my first company for family reasons. They had this "company first" culture where you moved or traveled wherever they needed you to on a moments notice, and you "deal with the family stuff later." Once our first child was born, we weren't willing to sign up for that anymore. When I gave my notice, I told my boss we wanted to settle in the midwest so we could stay close to family and not have to worry about being relocated on a whim.

He begged me to reconsider quitting, and said he'd take it all the way to the VP of the company and come up with something to get me to stay. I gave him 48 hours to respond. So, two days later, he calls me in, sits me down and says "Ok. I've vetted this with the VP...you can move to either Phoenix, or Edmonton. It's entirely up to you." I knew at that point, it was over, because they hadn't even listened to what I said.

Yeah I remember feeling guilty for taking 2 days off for my first born.....wife was not happy and still reminds me almost 9 years later. I also remember that boss (who I like overall) basically hinted to try not to be gone when my kids are sick....ect...see if grandparents around. Mentioned how he grew up oldschool where the women took care of kids...yikes haha.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I have one that was interesting. A fellow co-worker (Robert) and I were thick as thieves and had worked together for most of the first seven years of our careers at two different companies. We both had the same titles but had different responsibilities. It was IT work and we were on a high profile project, each of us front and center.

A small firm was looking for a full-time IT guy and it looked to be a sweet gig. A friend recommended both of us, so we were interviewing against each other. I received a job offer and then had to do the awkward "so, I got the job" thing, not knowing if he had received a flush letter yet.

Turns out, he was also offered the same job and they wanted to hire both of us. He was sitting at his desk trying to figure out how to tell me the same thing I was trying to figure out how to tell him.

We discussed it and flipped a coin to see who got to turn in their notice first. I won. Off to the manager's office I go and inform him I'm leaving. He's disappointed but he understands. We talk for a good long time, rehashing some old memories. Finally he says, "hey, you don't know if Robert is looking around, do you? I'm screwed with one of you leaving and would be absolutely hosed if you're both gone." I tried my best to maintain my poker face but apparently I gave it away. Next thing I heard was the door opening and the manager screaming "ROBERT! GET IN HERE!"

Walked past Robert and he says "WTF did you say to him?" I just said sorry.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
pour quality but hoping someone here has one of these exits after quitting for the big gig (NSFW)!

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah I remember feeling guilty for taking 2 days off for my first born.....wife was not happy and still reminds me almost 9 years later. I also remember that boss (who I like overall) basically hinted to try not to be gone when my kids are sick....ect...see if grandparents around. Mentioned how he grew up oldschool where the women took care of kids...yikes haha.

Sadly, this is familiar to me. I remember a co-worker took 1.5 weeks off when his first child was born and our engineering manager said "Jesus Christ, TWO WEEKS?! Why does he need more than a day?" What. an. a-hole.

Reactions: wxman1

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Sadly, this is familiar to me. I remember a co-worker took 1.5 weeks off when his first child was born and our engineering manager said "Jesus Christ, TWO WEEKS?! Why does he need more than a day?" What. an. a-hole.

I have a family member who's coworker met with the boss about time off and was told "well remember you already took time off for your mother's funeral?" i dont condone violence but would have been hard for me to not punch that boss in the face.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Was a tellar while at ISU and my Jr year we get a new branch mgr and she was a real pain and wanted to bring in all new staff. I had requested a Saturday off for the KU vs ISU basketball game and was approved. Game week comes and she puts me on the schedule to work that Saturday. All week we go back and forth and she wont budge on my already approved request so I call in sick so I can go to the game. Walk in the following Monday to start my shift and she fires me because I refuse to quit.

Fast forward a year and I interview for a job during career week and it is her husband doing the interview ... didnt get that job.

Fast forward another 2 years and I go into new employee training and you betcha one of the HR people doing the training is my friend the branch manager. That was an awkard 2 days of training.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I don't have any personal stories, but I do have one about a co-worker.

This guy was a nice guy, but very cheap. Like carpooled with 3 other guys, never went out for lunch, would split a check down to the penny if you went out. But he was a really, really, really good project engineer. We joked that he wore an "S" on his chest, and he always got the jobs that were the toughest. He always came through, and much like his personal life, he came in under budget on just about all of them.

So he'd been working for the company for like 35 years. Since he was so cheap, he'd max'd out his 401k (also had pension plan, the good one where his age plus years of service meant he qualified for the whole thing by the time he was 55). It'd been a while since he had a raise. So he went in to ask for one. Of course, they told him no (he was at the top of his "job class level" and needed to be a manager to get bumped up to the next level).

So he goes back to his office, types out his retirement letter, and walks back to his boss. I think you had to give 60 days notice or something to retire. Has his retirement ceremony on Day 60, shows back up on Day 61 working for an engineering contractor with a big grin on his face.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I have a family member who's coworker met with the boss about time off and was told "well remember you already took time off for your mother's funeral?" i dont condone violence but would have been hard for me to not punch that boss in the face.

Yeah stories like this are just hard to imagine, definitely today. Luckily my company is pretty lax on time off, but as a supervisor, I've not yet declined any PTO requests. My stance is if you've earned the time (and aren't taking advantage at the disadvantage of others) - take some time for you. If/when someone above me has a problem with it, I'll gladly defend my choice to approve.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Yeah stories like this are just hard to imagine, definitely today. Luckily my company is pretty lax on time off, but as a supervisor, I've not yet declined any PTO requests. My stance is if you've earned the time (and aren't taking advantage at the disadvantage of others) - take some time for you. If/when someone above me has a problem with it, I'll gladly defend my choice to approve.

I love my company because there is literally no time off. You just don't work when you want to take PTO, vacations, Dr. Appts ect. We all work from home (even before pandemic) and bosses know quickly if you're doing work and getting revenue.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I've never really quit jobs in a crazy fashion but I was in the crossfire of a quitting.

I was consulting on this project and it was highly stressful for everyone involved for numerous reasons but basically it was cursed.

Multiple people died on this project. 1 to cancer which was known. 2 guys died on their way to work on a patch of black ice, they carpooled together for 15 years. Another person took their own life. We had several people quit for various reasons and no one knew what to do. Even people from my employer quit their job because of this project. I gained a few dozen pounds from stress drinking and eating in 6 months.

It was just utter chaos and frankly it was the worst project I've ever had and it had nothing to do with the technology failing or anything.

But this last guy to quit. We were waiting on him to come to a meeting Yada Yada. Well we eventually get an email of a video of him in London England telling the whole IT department to go **** themselves and listed out people and their transgressions. This was a Midwest customer so he flew to London overnight or something because he was in the office the day before. The video went on for 15 min and it was just stunning. Then he followed it up with basically a "suck my balls" joke and showed his whole uh... Package. He then proceeded to have some sort of script across dozens of email accounts that would send a picture of his balls and tell the receiver to suck them. All day people were receiving them. They would block the email address and he would have another one start sending them. I bet you I still have a picture of it somewhere in my email.

I was close to quitting as well because of that project. My manager would not help me at all. He was counting down to retirement and just stopped caring. There was a re-org and my new manager got me off the project in 2 days and said I should've been off months prior. He instantly gained my respect and was the best manager I've ever had.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I've never really quit jobs in a crazy fashion but I was in the crossfire of a quitting.

I was consulting on this project and it was highly stressful for everyone involved for numerous reasons but basically it was cursed.

Multiple people died on this project. 1 to cancer which was known. 2 guys died on their way to work on a patch of black ice, they carpooled together for 15 years. Another person took their own life. We had several people quit for various reasons and no one knew what to do. Even people from my employer quit their job because of this project. I gained a few dozen pounds from stress drinking and eating in 6 months.

It was just utter chaos and frankly it was the worst project I've ever had and it had nothing to do with the technology failing or anything.

But this last guy to quit. We were waiting on him to come to a meeting Yada Yada. Well we eventually get an email of a video of him in London England telling the whole IT department to go **** themselves and listed out people and their transgressions. This was a Midwest customer so he flew to London overnight or something because he was in the office the day before. The video went on for 15 min and it was just stunning. Then he followed it up with basically a "suck my balls" joke and showed his whole uh... Package. He then proceeded to have some sort of script across dozens of email accounts that would send a picture of his balls and tell the receiver to suck them. All day people were receiving them. They would block the email address and he would have another one start sending them. I bet you I still have a picture of it somewhere in my email.

I was close to quitting as well because of that project. My manager would not help me at all. He was counting down to retirement and just stopped caring. There was a re-org and my new manager got me off the project in 2 days and said I should've been off months prior. He instantly gained my respect and was the best manager I've ever had.

Wow. That tops anything I have by a mile.

Reactions: mj4cy

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
So, I have a question for you about PTO. I used to go round and round with my old boss about this. My brother was getting married at Christmas time a few years ago. A huge number of relatives were flying in, and it was going to be a whole week of celebrating. The wedding was a couple hours away, so I had planned on spending the week with my family at the site of the wedding.
And so, 6 months before, I submitted a PTO request for the week between Christmas and New year's. I tentatively put it on the vacation calendar, and thought I'd be good to go.
Well, my PTO request sat unapproved for months. I reminded my boss a few times but he told me not to worry about. November 1st rolls up and two more people on my team request the same week off. Now, my boss sees there's an issue and tells us we can't all have the time off, and that we need to figure it out.

I went to my coworkers and explained my situation. One of them said that he wanted to go out of town for the holidays. And the other said "well, I take that week off every year. It's tradition". Nobody wanted to budge. We went back to the boss, and he said "you guys figure it out"

Again, we talked about it, and nobody was willing to cancel their plans. I pointed out that I hadn't taken extra time off around Christmas in about 4 years, and backed it up with data from the vacation calendar. The second guy hadn't taken time off during Christmas for a couple years, and true to his word, the third guy had taken Christmas week off every year for as far back as the vacation calendar went.

Still, nobody would budge.

Armed with the vacation calendar data, we went back to the boss. He looked at the data, considered it for a bit, and said "You guys figure it out"

Effectively, he said that it wasn't a matter for management. I pointed out that I was pretty sure that conflict resolution was in fact a function of management. And we had a ****ing conflict. He didn't see it that way.

In the end, I ended up driving back from the wedding site to work two days, the second guy did the same, and the third guy took the full week off, just like tradition dictated.

I get that staff should be able to work out a schedule, but when there is a conflict like that, that's exactly what management is there for

What's funny, is I really liked my boss. We got along really well, and he was a great manager, whom I had a fantastic rapport with. We just didn't agree on this. We would joke about it quite a bit and give each other grief about it, but neither of us ever saw the other's perspective

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
So, I have a question for you about PTO. I used to go round and round with my old boss about this. My brother was getting married at Christmas time a few years ago. A huge number of relatives were flying in, and it was going to be a whole week of celebrating. The wedding was a couple hours away, so I had planned on spending the week with my family at the site of the wedding.
And so, 6 months before, I submitted a PTO request for the week between Christmas and New year's. I tentatively put it on the vacation calendar, and thought I'd be good to go.
Well, my PTO request sat unapproved for months. I reminded my boss a few times but he told me not to worry about. November 1st rolls up and two more people on my team request the same week off. Now, my boss sees there's an issue and tells us we can't all have the time off, and that we need to figure it out.

I went to my coworkers and explained my situation. One of them said that he wanted to go out of town for the holidays. And the other said "well, I take that week off every year. It's tradition". Nobody wanted to budge. We went back to the boss, and he said "you guys figure it out"

Again, we talked about it, and nobody was willing to cancel their plans. I pointed out that I hadn't taken extra time off around Christmas in about 4 years, and backed it up with data from the vacation calendar. The second guy hadn't taken time off during Christmas for a couple years, and true to his word, the third guy had taken Christmas week off every year for as far back as the vacation calendar went.

Still, nobody would budge.

Armed with the vacation calendar data, we went back to the boss. He looked at the data, considered it for a bit, and said "You guys figure it out"

Effectively, he said that it wasn't a matter for management. I pointed out that I was pretty sure that conflict resolution was in fact a function of management. And we had a ****ing conflict. He didn't see it that way.

In the end, I ended up driving back from the wedding site to work two days, the second guy did the same, and the third guy took the full week off, just like tradition dictated.

I get that staff should be able to work out a schedule, but when there is a conflict like that, that's exactly what management is there for

What's funny, is I really liked my boss. We got along really well, and he was a great manager, whom I had a fantastic rapport with. We just didn't agree on this. We would joke about it quite a bit and give each other grief about it, but neither of us ever saw the other's perspective

Yea there's a number of ways this could go. I don't think there's any that are wrong but I think there's one that's more right in my opinion. But even then it's hard.

That other person that took that week off every year could've been more senior or been there longer than you and that's what the manager kinda defaults to in his head.

He could have been a bad manager and not want to piss anyone off and said "not my problem" to remain "friends" with everyone. This is what I think it was and I think it's a sign of a bad manager in general. Even if you're on the extreme side of being friends with your employees you still have to make decisions occasionally.

You could do first in first approved. This is the most fair to me personally but there has to be some guidelines or else you will eventually get into a bad situation. Seen it at a local government where people either request multiple years in advance or the entire vacation schedule is set by January 3rd. Good luck having any nuance in that and it's like vultures when someone retires and wants that vacation week.

You could also go the route you mentioned about who hasn't taken that week off in a long time if it's a busy season week.

In the end it's these little things that separate a good manager from a great manager

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
The only job I've ever quit without giving appropriate notice was a short stint in the kitchen at hickory park. I was assigned to the meat slicer station and given zero training. I was basically told to not cut my finger off and what depth to set the slicer at.

Hadn't had anyone complain about my work at all until about two weeks in when the owner suddenly started berating me like I had just committed some unforgivable sin. I tried to tell him that this was the first time I was being told any of what he was complaining about but he kept on literally screaming over me. I can't remember the exact wording he used but insinuated if I wasn't smart enough to grasp the training I had been given then maybe I wasn't cut out for the job. He told me to go take a break, to which I said, "sure, it's going to be a long one". I left my smelly hickory park shirt in the parking lot and never came back.

Within a three or four months I had quickly worked my way up to co-managing a kitchen at another well known ames restaurant and finished out my college years there being appreciated for my hard work.

I'm thankful for the experience. It taught me to not get taken advantage of at a job that not everyone treats their workers poorly.
Yes. “The old man”, as everyone called him, was a prick. I started at buns like everyone, went to toppings, then grill, then slicer and eventually bbq grill and send out. I liked slicer the best. I can still smell those nasty smelling maroon stained smoked T-shirt’s and hats now.