Wings - Flats or Drumsticks?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

What kind of wing do you like?

• Total voters

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
I'm flats all the way. Like some of the other posters said, I think it's partially because I can clean the meat off the bone. I also like dipping my wings in blue cheese or ranch dressing, and I feel like flats are easier to dip. Drummies have too much cartilage, tendons, etc. that make them a little more difficult to eat.

Damn, now I'm cravings wings...

Reactions: Dandy

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
In a past life I was a drummies person. Now I prefer flats. Easy to twist the bones, get two separate pieces and clean them off in one shot, all meat, no tendon. And as was previously mentioned, condiment dipping is easier this way as well.

I will confess until this thread, I had never heard them called flats. I think I just called them "the other ones".

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Easily the best wings I have ever had were the Vietnamese fish sauce wings at Pok Pok in Portland, Oregon. They didn't make you choose, and just gave yout the full wing; drumette, flat and flapper. And I guarantee you will suck every single edible molecule off of them. They're that good.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
When I'm in Iowa, I often have to make a trek past Ames on I-35. If I go into town, Pizza Pit wings and pizza is why. Last time I was there, it was a comforting feeling to be drinking by myself on a Sunday afternoon.
Wait you were drinking in Pizza Pit by yourself? Should have came downstairs to Welch Ave Station and ordered from upstairs and enjoyed Sunday drinking company!

Reactions: JP4CY

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
They were always called flaps and drumsticks where I come from. As for the poll, drumsticks is the correct answer and it shouldn't even be a debate.

On a side note, a guy who worked at wingstop once told me that no one orders bone-in wings when bonelss are available. I thought he was nuts. Bone-in wings are much, much better. IMO.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Wait you were drinking in Pizza Pit by yourself? Should have came downstairs to Welch Ave Station and ordered from upstairs and enjoyed Sunday drinking company!

I should have clarified - I was at Welch Ave. There just wasn't anyone in there. I don't remember what time of year it was but I'm sure it was summer, and it was early in the day.

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
They were always called flaps and drumsticks where I come from. As for the poll, drumsticks is the correct answer and it shouldn't even be a debate.

On a side note, a guy who worked at wingstop once told me that no one orders bone-in wings when bonelss are available. I thought he was nuts. Bone-in wings are much, much better. IMO.

They shouldn't even be referred to as wings, they are nuggets, not wings "boneless" or not. Bone-in 4 Life for this guy

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Pizza pit has wings????!!!!!!
I'd like Pizza Pit wings if they didn't bread them. Not really my thing.
giphy.gif

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT

I can't handle the boneless wing people. They are glorified chicken nuggets and should not be called "wings", IMO.

Reactions: Cycloneracer

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
here's the deal...if cooked correctly, the drummies can be as good...but let's be honest, some people leave them too soft and fatty...they gotta be cooked until crisp.

but when there's a grip of wings near, I grab the flats.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
The Peanut in KC had full wing "wings", and they were excellent.

My wife worked at 9th and Broadway until they moved buildings. I destroyed a lot of beer an wings at the Peanut waiting for her to get off work and carpool home.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
The Peanut in KC had full wing "wings", and they were excellent.

I've been ordering wings from Hooties Hamburger Barn on GrubHub. They are huge and give you a choice of flaps or drumsticks. Great wings. Come to find out, they're just Hooter's wings. Hooter's is also on Grubhub. Now I've had Hooter's wings and let me tell you these are not them. Hooter's wings suck big time. They're almost like wings that you reheat a little too long in a microwave and they become hard. At least the ones I had were. I think they have new wings that they sell under the Hootie's Hamburger Barn label to generate more business, because the wings I get there are not on the Hooter's menu. Believe me, I've looked. The hamburgers they sell aren't on the Hooter's menu either. Applebee's does the same thing with a "restaurant" they call Neighborhood Wings. It just sells wings and some sides, but it comes from the same place. I thought the whole idea was odd and a little deceitful.