The Athletic article ($) - Steve Prohm has plenty of reasons to believe we’ll see the good Iowa St

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
"Despite their issues last season, the Cyclones retained their Hilton Magic, finishing 11-6 at home."

I'm excited for the coming season, but that quote is way off base. Hilton was not special or intimidating in any way last season, which only amplified the disappointment.

agree.

let's break down that 11-6

Wins
  • Mississippi Valley State
  • Northern Illinois
  • Southern Miss
  • UMKC
  • Seton Hall (best home win of the season, imo)
  • Purdue Fort Wayne
  • Oklahoma
  • Oklahoma State
  • Kansas State
  • Texas
  • TCU
Losses
  • Iowa by 16 points
  • FAMU (worst home loss in school history?)
  • Kansas by 26 points
  • Baylor by 14 points
  • TTU by 30 points
  • West Virginia

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Hinson seems like he could be that guy, and I absolutely loved what I heard from and about Coleman-Lands.

Here's the article that really stuck with me on him.

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...re-than-basketball-player-much-more/96313718/

"La Lumiere basketball coach Shane Heirman, wanting Jalen Coleman-Lands’ father to know how his son is spending lunch. You’re not going to believe this, Heirman is saying, but Jalen isn’t eating with his teammates or friends. He’s finding kids at the northwest Indiana boarding school who are alone, and he’s sitting down to eat with them.

A year later, the phone rings, and this time it’s …

Illinois assistant coach Jamall Walker, calling to ask Piankhi Lands a question:

“Do you know your son is mentoring five or six freshmen on the football team?”

No, Piankhi tells him. He did not. But he can’t say he’s surprised, because this is how Piankhi and his wife, Dionne, raised their children: Be aware of your surroundings. There’s always a way to impact someone else’s life. Find it."

Everything about that screams leadership to me.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
"This group, it feels more like the teams in the past. They fit how we want to do things."

Wasn't this the talking point from last year's off-season, too? I swear every article said "don't worry about losing all that talent from an iffy 9-9 team from a year ago, this team fits better, has more chemistry, plays for each other better, etc etc to make up for the lost talent"

Edit to add: not a subscriber so I didn't and can't read the article, I just thought the snipped quote was interesting.

Last edited:

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
This season the goal should be just get to the tournament. Doesn’t matter if it’s a play in game, just get there. Next year we can start to build off our core group of freshman.
But you have to WIN the play-in game to actually be IN THE TOURNAMENT.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
"This group, it feels more like the teams in the past. They fit how we want to do things."

Wasn't this the talking point from last year's off-season, too? I swear every article said "don't worry about losing all that talent from an iffy 9-9 team from a year ago, this team fits better, has more chemistry, plays for each other better, etc etc to make up for the lost talent"

it does seem like every year theres a quote on chemistry or something

even this quote from Conditt in the article has me scratching my head

“We lost a lot of games, and we should hold ourselves accountable, and we do,’’ says junior George Conditt. “But it wasn’t our coaches, or this, that and third. We all got tired of hearing people talk about our coaches. It’s attacking me, our staff, everything we’re about, what Iowa State means.’’

so George says they need to hold themselves accountable but then lists of reasons why its not their fault?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Too bad there won't be fans in Hilton to maintain our great advantage. If there are college athletics this year it's going to be so weird.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I would think given the current cultural climate we are in I would be shocked if Hinson is not granted a waiver as I don't think the NCCA wants to risk the possible PR repercussions that may happen given the reason he has cited for transferring. I don't know what the story is with Harris but if we get both waivers that obviously increases our outlook on the season.

I kind of like how there hasn't been a lot of hype so far about Foster which is nice not to put such high expectations on the kid. He probably is the wild card factor with our season as if he is able to adapt and play some meaningful minutes if not even eventually challenge for a starting spot as a stretch 4 he add another element to the offense. He probably will have an adjustment period though as there aren't many kids in Iowa that can even match up with a 7 footer in HS to really prepare him for what he is going to go through in the Big 12.

I'm in the crowd of making the NCCA tourney is the goal this year as that gets the program back on track in the right direction. I don't care how we get there or what seed we get, anything is better than the mess we had last year.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
it does seem like every year theres a quote on chemistry or something

even this quote from Conditt in the article has me scratching my head

“We lost a lot of games, and we should hold ourselves accountable, and we do,’’ says junior George Conditt. “But it wasn’t our coaches, or this, that and third. We all got tired of hearing people talk about our coaches. It’s attacking me, our staff, everything we’re about, what Iowa State means.’’

so George says they need to hold themselves accountable but then lists of reasons why its not their fault?
I think he meant the players need to own it, leave the coaches out of it, it wasn't their fault. I get where you're coming from I think we're just over analyzing here.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I think he meant the players need to own it, leave the coaches out of it, it wasn't their fault. I get where you're coming from I think we're just over analyzing here.

if anything the coaches should be more at blame. Theyre the adults making 6 figures.

It's not Conditts fault steve whiffed on the 2019 recruiting class and cant coach an out of bounds play.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
if anything the coaches should be more at blame. Theyre the adults making 6 figures.

It's not Conditts fault steve whiffed on the 2019 recruiting class and cant coach an out of bounds play.
Ya, I see that angle as a fan, but as a player I like what George is saying. He wants to take ownership of their low performance and I think that's a great sign. I assume that they haven't been putting the extra work in like the past classes did.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
"Despite their issues last season, the Cyclones retained their Hilton Magic, finishing 11-6 at home."

I'm excited for the coming season, but that quote is way off base. Hilton was not special or intimidating in any way last season, which only amplified the disappointment.
Because people forgot what Hilton Magic actually is and was. People just assumed it was a high powered team that wins every game. Historically that's not what Hilton Magic was.

ChickenNuggetMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2017
Minneapolis

They should’ve added “including the worst home loss ever”

Reactions: CascadeClone

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I'm kind of serious that they might not count this season as sitting out if it's cancelled, blueblood programs exempt obviously.
The rules do not say a word about season of competition. It is an academic year in residence so as long as they are enrolled as students they would fulfill the requirements as written today.

Academic year in residence: Under the basic transfer regulations, you must spend an academic year in residence at the school to which you are transferring. If you transfer from a four-year college to an NCAA school, you must complete one academic year in residence at the new school before you can play for or receive travel expenses from the new school, unless you qualify for a transfer exception or waiver. To satisfy an academic year in residence, you must be enrolled in and successfully complete a full-time program of studies for two-full semesters or three-full quarters. Summer school terms and part-time enrollment do not count toward fulfilling an academic year in residence.

cycub51

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2009
Somewhere Iowa
Given NCAA history I hope they are cleared for 21/22 season after this season is cancelled.

The rule doesn’t state sitting out one season. It’s something along the lines of one year of residency at new school if I remember correctly.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Ya, I see that angle as a fan, but as a player I like what George is saying. He wants to take ownership of their low performance and I think that's a great sign. I assume that they haven't been putting the extra work in like the past classes did.

I'm tired of hearing Conditt talk a big game. I think he's a good kid with good intentions, but put the work in, then talk.

Reactions: ISU84

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
There are ~350 teams in DI.

200 think they'll make the tourney
100 think they're a bubble team.
50 think they'll have to settle for the NIT.

Making the tourney this year for us would be insane.

I'd settle for just not sucking at home, and getting back to 0.500 overall.

Reactions: heitclone

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Because people forgot what Hilton Magic actually is and was. People just assumed it was a high powered team that wins every game. Historically that's not what Hilton Magic was.

We didn't cheer loud enough to win more games last season!!!!! lol

We know what Hilton Magic is. But it takes a team that shows effort and a coach that shows he's prepared. No amount of cheering was going to spur us to a win last season. They were awful.