Jeep wrangler(s)

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
My wife and I made the terrible decision to come back to Iowa after living in CoS to be around our stupid families once the first kid was born. Crazy thing was moving there and two houses down lived Pantherhoks.

My experience was in the area you could either get anywhere with a reasonable 4WD. Definitely some places in the San Isabel forest and between Canon City and Walsenburg where a Wrangler would be handy.

Granted up in the high ground in the CoS having no doors or roof would be incredible.

Have a brew at Phantom Canyon for me.

Will definitely check out Phantom Canyon. Got here (CoS) yesterday and am still smiling with the mountains right outside...

Reactions: cyclonesurveyor

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
So the Bronco was introduced today. Thoughts? The silhouette looks a lot like a Jeep to me. Seems super capable off road for the dozen or so people who actually need that capability.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
So the Bronco was introduced today. Thoughts? The silhouette looks a lot like a Jeep to me. Seems super capable off road for the dozen or so people who actually need that capability.

I've been watching this for a while and I think it looks good. It's a nice retro meets now like the FJ was.

The problem I have with it is the price. MSRP starts at 30k and goes up from there. I think that Detroit is really missing an opportunity for a fun top-down entry level SUV like a Amigo or Tracker was, but I also think they are missing an entry level sports coupe like a Grand Prix or Beretta.

The new Bronco will be a niche car at that price and they will run one or two models over 6-10 years and then it will be gone. Too bad.

• Dumb
Reactions: 3rdCoastClone

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
reliability and quality will be the biggest questions with it....

The problem I have with it is the price. MSRP starts at 30k and goes up from there. I think that Detroit is really missing an opportunity for a fun top-down entry level SUV like a Amigo or Tracker was, but I also think they are missing an entry level sports coupe like a Grand Prix or Beretta.
as a Trooper owner a new Amigo would be awesome and my parents had a Tracker until I was about 6 or 7 also... but the the current crop of entry level sports cars are great though.. Veloster, Civic SI, GTI.

Reactions: Macloney

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
reliability and quality will be the biggest questions with it....

as a Trooper owner a new Amigo would be awesome and my parents had a Tracker until I was about 6 or 7 also... but the the current crop of entry level sports cars are great though.. Veloster, Civic SI, GTI.

I agree about the Civic and GTI, but I was saying that the Big 3 are missing out on those markets. Something sporty besides a Camaro or Mustang.

• Dumb

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I think that Detroit is really missing an opportunity for a fun top-down entry level SUV like a Amigo or Tracker was, but I also think they are missing an entry level sports coupe like a Grand Prix or Beretta.
If there were a market for sub-$30k topless SUVs that was profitable, I'm sure there would be a bunch of choices.

As for entry level sports coupes, there is already the Mazda Miata/Fiat 124, Subaru BRZ/Toyota FRS/Toyota 86. And if you need a V8 and a full-size car theres always the Mustang and Camaro. There are options, but the fact that you don't see them like Civics, Accords and Camrys is because they are niche vehicles.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I agree about the Civic and GTI, but I was saying that the Big 3 are missing out on those markets. Something sporty besides a Camaro or Mustang.
Sonic is decent but not really a sport compact/hot hatch.. and Ford had the Fiesta and Focus ST lines. but both base Camaro/Mustang start at around $25K and get you a hell of a lot of bang for your buck really.. both turbo 4s have more HP and torque then previous V8s even..

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
You guys make it sound like I am going to be waiting forever for a reboot of the Amigo or Cavalier SS.

I heard Al Cowlings was getting the first white one off the line:

636361513911155748-AXX-MELTDOW-OJ.jpg

• Dumb

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
You guys make it sound like I am going to be waiting forever for a reboot of the Amigo or Cavalier SS.

I heard Al Cowlings was getting the first white one off the line:

636361513911155748-AXX-MELTDOW-OJ.jpg
For a new one? Probably, yes. But there are use Chevy Cobalt SSs out there, or Dodge SRT-4, or the Focus ST if you want domestic. But it seems like the Big 3 are basically paring down to trucks, SUVs and performance cars while imports are making the best sedans and interesting but relatively low volume trucks and crossovers. If you want a "regular car" from Ford, your only option is the Fusion. Otherwise its Mustang, GT, SUV SUV truck SUV truck truck truck Transit. Taking a quick look at other websites, Chevy is the only one that makes more than one sedan. I know you could buy sedans from Cadillac/Buick, Lincoln or Chrysler but those are the higher class brands and I think we're focusing on entry level stuff.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
For a new one? Probably, yes. But there are use Chevy Cobalt SSs out there, or Dodge SRT-4, or the Focus ST if you want domestic. But it seems like the Big 3 are basically paring down to trucks, SUVs and performance cars while imports are making the best sedans and interesting but relatively low volume trucks and crossovers. If you want a "regular car" from Ford, your only option is the Fusion. Otherwise its Mustang, GT, SUV SUV truck SUV truck truck truck Transit. Taking a quick look at other websites, Chevy is the only one that makes more than one sedan. I know you could buy sedans from Cadillac/Buick, Lincoln or Chrysler but those are the higher class brands and I think we're focusing on entry level stuff.

Chevy is dropping the Impala which leaves the Malibu as the only non-compact car in the lineup.

Last model year of the Fusion is 2021.

I am actually an Acura guy, but I work in a GM plant and I get a little heartbroken when I see what Detroit has become.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
The Bronco is obviously competing with the Jeeps, but also the trendy small sized sub 35-40k sports suvs like the RAV4, CRV and most comparably the new Blazer.

I think the Bronco will do well just like the Blazer as it caters to a rapidly growing demographic while also giving options to more outdoorsy types.

I know several people that have Jeeps and the one thing I hear a lot is about the reliability issues (I think it competes with Dodge for least reliable most years). That and the prices just keep going up somewhat under the radar by making everything even remotely handy costly upgrades.

I like Ford but have been a Toyota guy for the past 10 years and don’t see that changing considering what you get for the price in comparison to even domestic brands.

I would agree with others though that if you must go Jeep, either get a Cherokee or Sahara rather that Rubicon.