Jamie Pollard letter on falls sports

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Recessions will come regardless and they are fairly often. I think the problem is that nobody believes in having some cash or savings anymore. That has been the most amazing part of this whole thing to me.

Our entire monetary system is designed to force this as much as possible (luckily some ignore that and still save anyway).

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
40% of the conference calls Texas home, their numbers are exploding down there, Dallas county alone had 1000 new cases yesterday, and Houston had even more.
We are two weeks from the start of fall camp and people think we can still have a season?
It really does not matter what the numbers are in Iowa or Kansas, the only states that matter are Texas and Oklahoma, they make up 60% of the conference teams, and those are trending up, and until they drop substantially we will not be playing.

While all this is true for the general populations of those states and for the potential of fans attending games, it does not necessarily apply to the teams playing games. The teams are already isolated from the general population to some extent in a normal year - spending large amounts of their time at team activities, flying or driving to games in private planes or buses. They just need to add extra measures now.

The number of cases in the city where the team is based is not completely relevant. For one, many of the players will have spent the summer home with their families, not in the city or even state where their team is based. For another, if we are going to have a season, the teams (players and staff) have to isolate themselves from the general population. Even in states with relatively low numbers, you have to be careful but even more so for the teams based in areas with hot spots. I mean - the NBA is in Florida. We'll see how that goes, but there's no indication that the virus is running through the NBA like wildfire.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I really appreciate JP writing this letter and do not envy the position he is in at all. No great options at all.

I do disagree with this statement he made though.... “Some people have incorrectly framed the issue as safety versus revenue generation.”

That is EXACTLY what the issue is all about.

Any responsible leader has to look at the whole picture, as there are real effects on the other side. As have been mentioned, a whole lot of people suddenly out of a job, entire sports programs disappearing, etc.

Life is risky, but somehow we manage to try to live it anyway.

Pseudonym

Apr 7, 2009
San Francisco, California
As much as I love ISU and respect what Pollard has done. Starting off with a cursory nod to student athlete's health, and then spending the remaining 90% talking about business issues(from a non-profit that specifically claims to be amateur athletics), doesn't really do much for me. There are at least half a dozen people in ISU athletics making more than the CEO of my company does--even though we do $5b in revenue/$700m in profit last year with 15k+ employees. I truly do not have a ton of sympathy, the budgets of college athletics has gotten way out of hand in the past 20 years--now they've put themselves in a position to be forced to take all of their medicine in one lump sum.

There is no realistic chance of a football season happening this fall--lets admit it and move on. a spring season is our best bet.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Plus it's a department within the university. Just because it doesn't use taxpayer funds (now) doesn't mean it is some sort of stand alone organization outside of the university.

And, like someone showed years ago, the university money was replaced by student fees, so that's really a misnomer when they say there's no money from the University.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Any responsible leader has to look at the whole picture, as there are real effects on the other side. As have been mentioned, a whole lot of people suddenly out of a job, entire sports programs disappearing, etc.

Life is risky, but somehow we manage to try to live it anyway.

Agree, but ultimately he’s still balancing safety with revenue generation even if he thinks he isn’t.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
This is for Iowa State University as a whole (includes Athletics which is not shown separately).

https://www.auditor.iowa.gov/reports/file/59948/embed

1. Page 14 - you will see ISU showed $97 million in income (profit) for FY 19.
2. page 13 - ISU has $551 million in unrestricted funds meaning they can use this money for any purposes. The other funds listed there are all reserved for the purposes noted and can only be used for those purposes.
3. Page 12 - ISU has $146 million of cash and cash equivalents.
4. Page 12 - ISU has $829 million of investments.

Items 3 & 4 are profits accumulated from prior years to be used on the items noted in #2.

As you see not for profits do have profit that they set aside for future needs.

Reactions: BCClone

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Pollard says that athletics takes no University money, is that a choice or is it legally-required? Would the University as a whole have some lying around to spare one-time for this?

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
As much as I love ISU and respect what Pollard has done. Starting off with a cursory nod to student athlete's health, and then spending the remaining 90% talking about business issues(from a non-profit that specifically claims to be amateur athletics), doesn't really do much for me. There are at least half a dozen people in ISU athletics making more than the CEO of my company does--even though we do $5b in revenue/$700m in profit last year with 15k+ employees. I truly do not have a ton of sympathy, the budgets of college athletics has gotten way out of hand in the past 20 years--now they've put themselves in a position to be forced to take all of their medicine in one lump sum.

There is no realistic chance of a football season happening this fall--lets admit it and move on. a spring season is our best bet.
But how will spring be any different? Same thing was said in the spring about summer/fall. Same thing. I guess will be said in the spring but the issues will always be the same especially if you are going to allow fans at games.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames

This is an NCAA issue more than Pollard. ISU is pretty much forced to keep up with other schools due to the rat race of college sports. This is the downside of following the group think though.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Pollard says that athletics takes no University money, is that a choice or is it legally-required? Would the University as a whole have some lying around to spare one-time for this?

see post 92.

The State had a push to get the Athletic departments self sustainable, nothing legally required but strongly pushed.

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
Having the not-for-profit label hurts departments in that they cannot stock away money for a rainy day/pandemic. What they receive, they have to spend. Period

Cannot wait to watch Cyclones games from my couch this fall. (newborn soon or I'd be going)
Nebraska has $90 million in a rainy day fund thru their foundation. There are ways to save.