Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Meanwhile Gary Barta in Iowa City on this issue, and another "issue":

EnergeticFeistyHectorsdolphin-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
This is Jamie Pollard's way of saying "We need football or there may never be football again for a lot of schools".

ISU will survive without a year of football; however...

Bye bye state of Iowa sports media.
Bye bye most other sports at ISU
Bye bye MAC and Mountain west conferences; most FCS schools
Bye bye big development project that they had in the works

Well said.

Reactions: cyclone4L

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Great statement from Jamie. I appreciate the candor and openness. It's an impossibly hard decision, and it sounds like things are being constantly monitored and reevaluated.

Basically I share his stance that he can understand why some would want fall sports canceled, and maybe that's what winds up happening, but at least go into it eyes-wide-open about what that will do to our athletic department, smaller athletic departments, student athletes and the local economy.

Reactions: motorcy90

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
40% of the conference calls Texas home, their numbers are exploding down there, Dallas county alone had 1000 new cases yesterday, and Houston had even more.
We are two weeks from the start of fall camp and people think we can still have a season?
It really does not matter what the numbers are in Iowa or Kansas, the only states that matter are Texas and Oklahoma, they make up 60% of the conference teams, and those are trending up, and until they drop substantially we will not be playing.

Numbers drop to what exactly? It’s the wrong question all together.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I must have missed this. Link?

Yes, I did see Okie trying to move up the schedule, but NOWHERE did it say they aren't going to play.

Re-read my post. I wasn't clear but I was saying Texas and OU will play no matter what.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Who the hell would save enough to go through something like this? If that's the line, then almost nobody in any organization of any kind is blameless.

It's not done nearly as much anymore as it should have been. I've been playing around with it but I think at least 10% of the profits going into retained earnings every year is a good number. Then you can grow the buisness with it or get through slow patches. This is a big hit but with $80 million budget each year I would expect them to at least hold back what ~$5 million per year. Wouldn't take long to build up a sizeable fund at that rate. Now ISU has not had $80 million budgets for long (thanks JP) but other schools have. But I imagine that also makes it tough to continually ask for more donations when you have a large cash fund on hand. And that is where this growth at all costs really comes back to haunt us.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It's not done nearly as much anymore as it should have been. I've been playing around with it but I think at least 10% of the profits going into retained earnings every year is a good number. Then you can grow the buisness with it or get through slow patches. This is a big hit but with $80 million budget each year I would expect them to at least hold back what ~$5 million per year. Wouldn't take long to build up a sizeable fund at that rate. Now ISU has not had $80 million budgets for long (thanks JP) but other schools have. But I imagine that also makes it tough to continually ask for more donations when you have a large cash fund on hand. And that is where this growth at all costs really comes back to haunt us.

It makes sense to have some. Should everyone save for a once a century type event? I doubt that's realistic.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Great statement from Jamie. I appreciate the candor and openness. It's an impossibly hard decision, and it sounds like things are being constantly monitored and reevaluated.

Basically I share his stance that he can understand why some would want fall sports canceled, and maybe that's what winds up happening, but at least go into it eyes-wide-open about what that will do to our athletic department, smaller athletic departments, student athletes and the local economy.

When I read the email its says to me that JP is laying the ground work for not having a season, and the cost of a 40 million dollars deficit if that does occur.
If the season is cancelled, the university will have the funds to make up the difference for a year, some sports may be cut short term, but we only have 18 varsity sports now and must maintain at least 12 teams to be considered a conference school. There will be a huge push to bring in more donations.

Lets just hope that we can play this fall, even if it is without fans to bring in TV revenue.

Last edited:

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Do you know how non-profits work?

Would you like an answer for the good ones, or the Cave answer for the scam types? And we have yet another possibility because these are some sort of government type entity. How many books is the IRS code again?

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
He makes it sound cut and dry. Trust me, with Pollard, if he was able to save money for an emergency fund, he would have.
I agree. I am sure that they have an emergency fund, but I can't imagine that an emergency fund for an athletic department that is non profit is large enough to cover almost a year's worth of expenses in anticipation of no income for that long. They could have already been tapping into those reserves to minimize the impact to this point.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
It makes sense to have some. Should everyone save for a once a century type event? I doubt that's realistic.

Recessions will come regardless and they are fairly often. I think the problem is that nobody believes in having some cash or savings anymore. That has been the most amazing part of this whole thing to me.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I really appreciate JP writing this letter and do not envy the position he is in at all. No great options at all.

I do disagree with this statement he made though.... “Some people have incorrectly framed the issue as safety versus revenue generation.”

That is EXACTLY what the issue is all about.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron