Star Wars Expanded Universe Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
When I think Mandalorian I think Filoni. He is Lucas without the hubris. They need to put the whole future of Star Wars in his and Favreau's hands now!

The Mandalorian, Clone Wars, and Rebels shows are the best (canon) SW stories after the original trilogy. More Filoni please on the future of Star Wars.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
I don't care if they do this or not. As a Star Wars fan this is just fooling around on the edges.

I just want as much Darth Vader content like the end of Rogue One that we can get. It bothers me that the way things have gone wit the gaps between the films we've been robbed of this huge potential for entertainment.

It ought to be possible to craft a story arc that involves badass Vader and characters we've not met yet. It's a big galaxy after all.

Basically read the Vader comics if you haven't. I would love movies based on them along with the doctor aphra comics.

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014
If the Kenobi series doesn't have Vader they are doing something wrong.

My guess as to the rumors, it makes sense there might be differences from the prequel and sequel teams on where to take the next phase of star wars. It might not necessarily mean the sequels never happened. They just aren't the launch point for further stories.

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
This is the way the ending of Rise of Skywalker should have been!!
If they had done it this way, the movie would have been MUCH better!

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Watched The Force Awakens again this weekend in my first trip back to the theater (only us and one other family we already hang out with were there). For all of the arguments against it, that it's derivative and stuff, I really have to say it's a phenomenal theater movie. I have a big ol' screen in my house but especially the scenes where Rey and Finn are flying the Falcon for the first time, and when Poe and the Resistance show up to rescue Han and Finn are just breathtaking.

Moreover, it really showed the promise that TLJ and RoS failed to deliver on. It was derivative but I always thought that was on purpose. I thought it was meant to signal that we as fans were in good hands and we were safe with the vision Disney had for the series. That obviously wasn't the case with the lack of plans. While I'll defend TLJ until I die they clearly were not in tune with what the fans wanted, and these movies are designed to please fans. I'm confident they'll do better going forward but man that really showed.

Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://deadline.com/2020/07/star-w...animated-series-ordered-by-disney-1202984190/

It was announced today that Disney+'s next new animated Star Wars series is a new "Bad Batch" series, which is a spin-off of the new Bad Batch characters introduced in the final season of Clone Wars. I personally really loved those characters and thought they were one of the best parts of the final season, so I find this idea intriguing? What about you guys? Did any of you guys see them in the final season? Did you like their episodes?

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
On a different note, in order to set me up to finally watch the new final season of Clone Wars, I re-watched all of the Clone Wars season again for a second time. I've gotta admit, the series still holds up and may have even been better the second time around than the first. As for the final season, I thought the first arc and final third arc were great, but didn't love the middle second one. Overall, I call it a win for a season.

After finishing that, I've moved on to finally watching Star Wars Resistance for the first time and am 16 episodes in on the first season. While there are certain things, characters, and arcs to like, I can't say I'm overall super impressed. One of its biggest problems is how they portray the main character Kaz as kind of a big anime-inspired goof, which just doesn't play well and ends up being super annoying over time. Maybe he plays better with kids, but he just doesn't work for me. Me not loving the Ezra main character in Rebels is also what held me back in that series from overly loving it, even though Ezra was much more likable than Kaz. We'll see where the series goes from here. There are other supporting characters I do enjoy in Resistance and I actually have really enjoyed the new animation route they went with the series. I'd be curious what other people's thoughts are on both the final season of Clone Wars and Resistance, so please share!!!

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
https://deadline.com/2020/07/star-w...animated-series-ordered-by-disney-1202984190/

It was announced today that Disney+'s next new animated Star Wars series is a new "Bad Batch" series, which is a spin-off of the new Bad Batch characters introduced in the final season of Clone Wars. I personally really loved those characters and thought they were one of the best parts of the final season, so I find this idea intriguing? What about you guys? Did any of you guys see them in the final season? Did you like their episodes?

I like the clones, and the Bad Batch had a whole comics run, but I'm not sure we need more from them. Obviously I'll watch it but I'm ready to leave that period of time behind.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I like the clones, and the Bad Batch had a whole comics run, but I'm not sure we need more from them. Obviously I'll watch it but I'm ready to leave that period of time behind.

I'm at least glad that the new series won't just go back to them in the Clone Wars, hence moving back in time, but will rather move forward with them after the Clone Wars and what they do afterwards. Therefore, we are at least somewhat hashing out a new time period.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
On a different note, in order to set me up to finally watch the new final season of Clone Wars, I re-watched all of the Clone Wars season again for a second time. I've gotta admit, the series still holds up and may have even been better the second time around than the first. As for the final season, I thought the first arc and final third arc were great, but didn't love the middle second one. Overall, I call it a win for a season.

After finishing that, I've moved on to finally watching Star Wars Resistance for the first time and am 16 episodes in on the first season. While there are certain things, characters, and arcs to like, I can't say I'm overall super impressed. One of its biggest problems is how they portray the main character Kaz as kind of a big anime-inspired goof, which just doesn't play well and ends up being super annoying over time. Maybe he plays better with kids, but he just doesn't work for me. Me not loving the Ezra main character in Rebels is also what held me back in that series from overly loving it, even though Ezra was much more likable than Kaz. We'll see where the series goes from here. There are other supporting characters I do enjoy in Resistance and I actually have really enjoyed the new animation route they went with the series. I'd be curious what other people's thoughts are on both the final season of Clone Wars and Resistance, so please share!!!

I agree with the final season of the Clone Wars. The middle got slow, however the front and end were great. I also got to rewatch the Clone Wars due to my son going through it. (He's watching Rebels now.)

Kaz is the worst part of The Resistance and is essentially the Jar Jar of that series. Ezra from Rebels is significantly better than Kaz. Ezra is a kid while Kaz is supposed to be an adult pilot and spy. Ezra also matures during the series while I have yet to see any maturity out of Kaz. I'm close to giving up on The Resistance.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I agree with the final season of the Clone Wars. The middle got slow, however the front and end were great. I also got to rewatch the Clone Wars due to my son going through it. (He's watching Rebels now.)

Kaz is the worst part of The Resistance and is essentially the Jar Jar of that series. Ezra from Rebels is significantly better than Kaz. Ezra is a kid while Kaz is supposed to be an adult pilot and spy. Ezra also matures during the series while I have yet to see any maturity out of Kaz. I'm close to giving up on The Resistance.

Yeah, I hate that Kaz is an adult that acts like a 10 year old. Not that Ezra was exactly mature as he was just a kid, but it seems Ezra at his least mature is more mature than Kaz at his most, and like you said, Kaz is technically an adult in this series. At the beginning, he was a full-time New Republic pilot.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

Totally agree. Ezra was slightly annoying but overall I could deal with that. Kaz was over the top annoying and I quit watching after 3 episodes.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
https://www.cbr.com/lando-donald-glover-star-wars-disney-plus-rumor/

Latest rumor is that Disney+ is developing a Londo series starting Donald Glover. Honestly, I'd personally be very interested in this. To me, Donald as Lando was probably the very best part of the Solo movie. In fact, I'd much rather see a Lando series than a follow-up Solo one.

A few seasons of how Lando gambled/worked his way to being in charge of Cloud City would be interesting. Showing him working with good and bad guys.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'll watch all of this stuff. But man, can we get some SW content that is about people we don't already know?

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
I'll watch all of this stuff. But man, can we get some SW content that is about people we don't already know?

Agree mostly but I'd like some connection to what we know or at least during the same general timeline as the Skywalker saga. I'm not excited at all about the High Republic stuff coming out.