Star Trek Universe Thread

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Taking advantage of the CBS freebe trial. Did Picard, was okay.

Now five episode into Season 1 of Discovery. Sorta not too bad but am I supposed to like or have any sympathy for any of these characters? The "star", Michael, is one huge *******. How are we supposed to buy into a complete ******* being beloved by her old captain and given opportunity after opportunity? Like she doesn't give a **** about anyone and suddenly gets all empathetic about a poor alien critter being abused? Yeah, yeah, I get it, character arc, self discovery, redemption etc and she will save the universe. I am hoping some Klingon burns her down. :rolleyes:

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Taking advantage of the CBS freebe trial. Did Picard, was okay.

Now five episode into Season 1 of Discovery. Sorta not too bad but am I supposed to like or have any sympathy for any of these characters? The "star", Michael, is one huge *******. How are we supposed to buy into a complete ******* being beloved by her old captain and given opportunity after opportunity? Like she doesn't give a **** about anyone and suddenly gets all empathetic about a poor alien critter being abused? Yeah, yeah, I get it, character arc, self discovery, redemption etc and she will save the universe. I am hoping some Klingon burns her down. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'd say one of the biggest criticisms of Discovery S1 was how they started out portraying Michael. I will say that at least for me, I thought her character got better as the season progress, which then continued on into S2. After both, is she my favorite Star Trek character? Naw, but I like her enough now. I'd be curious other people's thoughts as well.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Yeah, I'd say one of the biggest criticisms of Discovery S1 was how they started out portraying Michael. I will say that at least for me, I thought her character got better as the season progress, which then continued on into S2. After both, is she my favorite Star Trek character? Naw, but I like her enough now. I'd be curious other people's thoughts as well.

I had a pretty similar impression.

Discovery started off fairly rough those first 3-4 episodes. But that's pretty much star trek tradition to start off rough. The back half of the first season was a big step up and the second season was great.

Reactions: Triggermv

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
We watched and liked Picard. The final episode was a bit of a mess (a LOT of questions if you started to think about it too much). But overall, we thought it was good and are looking forward to season 2, whenever that ends up happening.

Never watched Discovery. I just never had an interest for some reason. Maybe someday, but my heart's just not in it.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I know it was panned as the worst Star trek series, but I like Star Trek Enterprise. The show was horrible under budgeted, which made some episodes hard to watch. There were at least a couple episodes where they went to a planet that looks exactly like CA and set up Wal-Mart tents.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I know it was panned as the worst Star trek series, but I like Star Trek Enterprise. The show was horrible under budgeted, which made some episodes hard to watch. There were at least a couple episodes where they went to a planet that looks exactly like CA and set up Wal-Mart tents.

I go rock climbing and hiking a lot around LA and a few times a month I'm pretty sure I'm in the "arena" Gorn battle scene. I've hiked to the 60s batcave entrance a few times. Where they shot MASH and original planet of the apes is also a park now.

I just finished Voyager for the first time so I've watched all trek series and movies other than Enterprise and the three new seasons I'll likely binge at some time. TOS, TNg and ds9 I think I've probably seen most more than once.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Finally finished ST Discovery last night. Cancelling CBS streaming thingie now since the rest of their stuff is just recycled network TV shows and here isn't a single CBS show I even watch. Discovery was just okay. Maybe I reup for Picard Season 2 but not sure sure I will even bother watching another season of the adventures of Michael when I do that.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
https://deadline.com/2020/07/star-t...re-date-cbs-all-access-teaser-art-1202975062/

Well, we finally have an announcement for when we get to see our next Star Trek show. Star Trek Lower Decks is set to arrive August 6th to CBS All Access. I'm intrigued enough to check out the show, even though it is animated. Plus, I'm just craving anything Star Trek right now. Anyone else plan on watching?

I will check it out. Is there an ETA on Discovery Season 3 yet? It’s going to be awesome to have 4 trek shows running at the same time!

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I will check it out. Is there an ETA on Discovery Season 3 yet? It’s going to be awesome to have 4 trek shows running at the same time!

Naw, I don't think it has been announced yet. Plus, Covid-19 I'm sure threw everything off. That is the nice thing about animated shows/features right now, as those can at least still continue on in their development.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

The first Star Trek: Below Deck trailer dropped, which I think looks alright so far. We'll see. Still can't say I'm teething with a ton of anticipation for this, but I'm hopeful it is enough to scratch my Star Trek itch for now.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

The first Star Trek: Below Deck trailer dropped, which I think looks alright so far. We'll see. Still can't say I'm teething with a ton of anticipation for this, but I'm hopeful it is enough to scratch my Star Trek itch for now.

So, I hadn't seen or ever heard about this until now, even though I'm a big Star Trek fan. Anyway, looks like a cartoon that is visually appealing to kids, but is really meant for adults? Either way, I'll definitely check it out.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
So, I hadn't seen or ever heard about this until now, even though I'm a big Star Trek fan. Anyway, looks like a cartoon that is visually appealing to kids, but is really meant for adults? Either way, I'll definitely check it out.

One of the shows creators worked on Rick & Morty and also created Solar Opposites (on Hulu) which has that same visual style.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
STP_logo_071520_untilted_no_bg_300dpi-720x465.jpg

The series will premiere on Nickelodeon in 2021 and is described as a CG-animated series that will follow "a group of lawless teens who discover a derelict Starfleet ship and use it to search for adventure, meaning and salvation.” It will be written by Emmy-winning writers Kevin Hageman and Dan Hageman, known for Trollhunters, The LEGO movie, and Ninjago.
https://www.ign.com/articles/star-trek-prodigy-animated-show-comic-con-2020-panel

Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

While I kind of thought the trailer for Star Trek: Lower Decks somewhat left a bit to be desired, I've already read a couple fairly positive reviews about the series, which is good to see. Definitely makes me a bit more excited to watch.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I've been very impressed with Lower Decks - captures the vibe of a 2000s sitcom set in the Star Trek universe. Ensign's Mariner and Boimler are great. Mariner steals the show with Commander Riker penache, yet no ambition to move up in rank - and why not when she can make her own fun? It's been my observation that most Star Trek fans (especially fans of the original series) have no sense of humor when it comes to poking fun at Star Trek's expense. I don't think this series is necessarily targeted at Star Trek fans anyways, and is more an entry point to getting new fans into the Star Trek universe. This is a series that I would have watched on Adult Swim (is that still a thing?) in college. I wouldn't recommend it for your kids - ten minutes into the pilot episode and you would understand why. This series is great for fans of Rick & Morty/Futurama/similar scifi series.

Side-note: does anyone else have problems with their streaming device during commercials on CBS All Access? I have my subscription as an add-on in Amazon Prime Video and am streaming from an Apple TV 4K. When the show approaches a commercial break I'll lose video or audio and won't get it back after the commercials are done. I'll even back out of the app and sign back in (which is a pain because I have Prime Video password protected so my kids don't buy anything, so I have to sign in every time). This has happened consistently with CBS All Access shows (happened with Picard earlier this year). I can't figure out if it's a bug with CBS All Access, Prime Video or Both - or maybe it's an iOS thing? Any thoughts?