Comet Neowise

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
This was the best picture I got this morning. I know a great place in a pretty dark zone about 50 miles from Omaha. I might take a run up there some evening this week to see if I can get a photo then. Should be real dark as we're approaching the new moon

Comet.jpg

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Well, tonight was very spur of the moment, and I paid for it. No RAW with one camera and bad focus with the other. *sigh* At least this weekend I'll have access to darker skies and better foreground options. Prepare, dummy.

P7150258ms.jpg

Reactions: cstrunk

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Well, tonight was very spur of the moment, and I paid for it. No RAW with one camera and bad focus with the other. *sigh* At least this weekend I'll have access to darker skies and better foreground options. Prepare, dummy.

View attachment 73578
If the sky is clear this evening I might drive out just a little southeast of Oakland. It's nice and dark and there is a barn that I should be able to get into the foreground to make a better composition. I think we have another week or so. I think it will be closest to earth on the 22nd. Unfortunately the moon won't rise until later so light for the barn will be minimal but I have an idea for that.
Capture.JPG

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
anyone know the best times to see it for Thur, Fri,Sat,etc....?
About an hour past sunset under the Big Dipper. It's a lot harder to see than they make it seem. I found it by taking a picture of the sky. Then I could make it out with the naked eye.
Comet-Neowise-2.png

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
If the sky is clear this evening I might drive out just a little southeast of Oakland. It's nice and dark and there is a barn that I should be able to get into the foreground to make a better composition. I think we have another week or so. I think it will be closest to earth on the 22nd. Unfortunately the moon won't rise until later so light for the barn will be minimal but I have an idea for that.
View attachment 73579

I'll be in the loess hills of western Iowa this weekend, so hopefully I can get equipment, technique, setting and conditions to align. I have done my first experiments with image stacking and it does amazing things to tail visibility.

anyone know the best times to see it for Thur, Fri,Sat,etc....?
The best days will be when the NW sky is clearest. From about 9:45 on you can find it with binoculars. For me no binoculars were needed after 10. By 11 it is getting a bit low, so your elevation and viewing conditions may limit how late you can see it. So far it has gotten a little more visible every day, when weather is favorable.

P7150261-9_SLSms.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: aauummm and simply1

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
The Loess Hills scenic overlook will get you dark skies. Nothing there though for any sort of cool composition

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Went out and saw it tuesday night west of Walford. There was a little bit of cloud, and I could not see it with my slight nearsightedness. My son could see it with his 20/20 though!

It was easy to find and see in binoculars.

Going back out tonight, should be better conditions, and taking the 8" telescope. Wish I knew how to do photography with it, but haven't taken the time yet to figure that out.

Also, if you are out there, look behind to the southeast for very bright Jupiter and fairly bright Saturn next to each other.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
The Loess Hills scenic overlook will get you dark skies. Nothing there though for any sort of cool composition
If you are talking about the one near Loveland, I'll be about 25 miles NE of there. Hilltops should have real good line of sight. Nearby buildings like the barn you spotted would be a bonus.

Reactions: aauummm

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Went out and saw it tuesday night west of Walford. There was a little bit of cloud, and I could not see it with my slight nearsightedness. My son could see it with his 20/20 though!

It was easy to find and see in binoculars.

Going back out tonight, should be better conditions, and taking the 8" telescope. Wish I knew how to do photography with it, but haven't taken the time yet to figure that out.

Also, if you are out there, look behind to the southeast for very bright Jupiter and fairly bright Saturn next to each other.
With a steady hand you could get something by carefully holding the phone up to the eyepiece. No guarantees though, since I don't know your phone, scope or eyepieces.

You are correct on Jupiter and Saturn. This is one month ago, just left of the Milky Way. They haven't changed relative position much since then.

_MG_3708_Lum_AI_ms.jpg

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
If you are talking about the one near Loveland, I'll be about 25 miles NE of there. Hilltops should have real good line of sight. Nearby buildings like the barn you spotted would be a bonus.
The one I am talking about is much closer to Moorhead than Loveland

Attachments

• Comet.jpg
    Comet.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 5

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Spur of the moment I got my kids out of bed around 11 and we all drove west of Grimes to see the comet. We could all see it without the binoculars but get an even better view them. We have a weak telescope, I might bring it out tonight and try to catch another view.

I thought it was worth getting them out and seeing something like this. My guess they won't be around in 6,800 years when this one comes back. :)

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I live on the North edge of Cedar Rapids and saw it with the naked eye last night about 10:15. Walked to end of street near a cornfield to get away from as much light pollution at possible. It was easy to spot but would have been way cooler with spotting scope or binoculars.

Set my phone's camera to night vision and tried to take some pics but all I got was fireflies. o_O

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I live on the North edge of Cedar Rapids and saw it with the naked eye last night about 10:15. Walked to end of street near a cornfield to get away from as much light pollution at possible. It was easy to spot but would have been way cooler with spotting scope or binoculars.

Set my phone's camera to night vision and tried to take some pics but all I got was fireflies. o_O

We went east of CR a couple miles and saw it last night. We could see it with the naked eye, but it did look better through binoculars. We tried to take pictures, but we lack either the equipment or skills needed

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
I found it with binoculars from my driveway just after 10. That hadn't worked on a couple previous attempts. Then the clouds wiped it away.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
We went east of CR a couple miles and saw it last night. We could see it with the naked eye, but it did look better through binoculars. We tried to take pictures, but we lack either the equipment or skills needed
Minimum recommended gear/settings:
  • Tripod
  • Shutter release (or self-timer)
  • 50mm to 300mm focal length (Long lenses make getting the comet in the frame difficult. Wider allows some foreground or horizon for context.)
  • f2.8 - f4
  • 2 sec. - 4 sec. exposure
  • ISO 800 - 3200
If you can meet these targets you can then fine tune for your conditions.

Help Support Us

Become a patron