Star Wars - How to Properly View

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Just do it this way, and you will be gravy:

- A New Hope (4)
- Empire Strikes Back (5)
- Return of the Jedi (6)
- Phantom Menace (1)
- Attack of the Clones (2)
- Revenge of the Sith (3)
- The Force Awakens (7)
- The Last Jedi (8)
- Rise of Skywalker (9)
- Rogue One (Indy)

I have never seen Solo, so I have no suggestions there.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
What is the deal with rogue one? Why is it not in the line up or vary in where people place it? NO spoilers please.....

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
What is the deal with rogue one? Why is it not in the line up or vary in where people place it? NO spoilers please.....
It's the prequel to A New Hope, but really not focused on the main characters of the other movies.

Seriously though, just watch 4,5,6, and Rogue One and you're good.

Reactions: JM4CY

Jonyrose

Oct 5, 2017

it has very few of the characters from the others and simply sets up a new hope. It can be stand alone or can be included as a prelude to a new hope. I think most people consider it as something different than the trilogy

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Thanks fellas. I think my boy and I will start with 4 then travel through 5 and 6 then see where we’re at. Being new to these, albeit decades late to the party, they have been explained to me but I could never make heads or tails of what they where trying to describe. Seems like it’s better without so much detail and just watch 4-6 and then make some decisions.

Also, my son is 5. There isn’t anything that’s gonna freak him out is there? He’s seen most of the Marvel movies...

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
There is some truth to this. If the first 3 (4, 5, 6) don’t trip your trigger, 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9 aren’t going to either. Rogue One is a good flick though, and is deserving of a viewing no matter what one thinks of the others.

RO is an acceptable sci-fi war action movie, but it lacks the transcendent magic of 456. It is worth watching once to kill two hours, though. It is the only other SW film that I consider even watchable, however. The rest are all different kinds of terrible.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
My kids can’t sit through any Star Wars movie, except The Force Awakens. I would say go with The Force Awakens and if it’s a hit then go back and watch the original trilogy (A New Hope, Empire, Return of the Jedi).

Edit: There’s a viewing called “Machete Order” which is
4 (A New Hope)
5 (Empire Strikes Back)
2 (Attack of the Clones)
3 (Revenge of the Sith)
6 (Return of the Jedi)

This was before the latest movies. The idea behind this is that movies 4 & 5, part of the original trilogy, set up the prequels. Episode 1 (The Phantom Menace) is a decent film but a lot of the plot points are brought up in movies 2 & 3 which is why Ep 1 is omitted. You end with the climatic finale in episode 6 and then can roll into the newer films.

https://www.wired.com/2012/02/machete-order-star-wars/

https://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2011/11/11/the-star-wars-saga-suggested-viewing-order/

My kids seem to have trouble sitting through them too. Seems like today's movies are faster paced without as much dialogue. I remember watching 4,5,6 and thinking that they were the best things I've ever seen. I still think those movies hold up, but my kids would much rather watch the Marvel movies.

I'd actually like to hear what the OP thinks of 4,5,6 seeing them for the first time.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
My kids seem to have trouble sitting through them too. Seems like today's movies are faster paced without as much dialogue. I remember watching 4,5,6 and thinking that they were the best things I've ever seen. I still think those movies hold up, but my kids would much rather watch the Marvel movies.

I'd actually like to hear what the OP thinks of 4,5,6 seeing them for the first time.
I will report back for sure! I’ll give you the 5 yr olds thoughts as well. Although I talked him into watching them with me because one of his little buddies told us he loved the movies so I’m sure that will sway his view.

Reactions: arobb

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

I actually have the opposite problem with Jar Jar Abrams and the Marvel films — their pace is so fast it gives me whiplash. Their loop of “quips BOOM action scene rushed character scene BOOM action” and etc. with some level of randomization between the sequences just wears on me. I bet you could watch many of them together at the same time, and they would hit the same plot points at about the same time over and over again for each film.

None are bad, most are mediocre, and a few are great — I loved the original Iron Man for its freshness and for being a somewhat serious commentary on the human cost of American foreign policy, and the Guardians films were great fun. Some of that shine has come off, though, given their “specialness” has declined as other Marvel films are starting to crib and overuse their tropes (e.g., a more comedic and self-parodic tone, clumsy oafs as heroes, a soundtrack consisting of 70s pop and soul hits, etc.) in other films.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe4Cy

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I actually have the opposite problem with Jar Jar Abrams and the Marvel films — their pace is so fast it gives me whiplash. Their loop of “quips BOOM action scene rushed character scene BOOM action” and etc. with some level of randomization between the sequences just wears on me. I bet you could watch many of them together at the same time, and they would hit the same plot points at about the same time over and over again.

Not all of them are bad — I loved the original Iron Man for its freshness and for being a somewhat serious commentary on the human cost of American foreign policy, and the Guardians films were great fun. Some of that shine has come off, though, given their “specialness” has declined as other Marvel films are starting to crib and overuse their tropes (e.g., a more comedic and self-parodic tone, clumsy oafs as heroes, a soundtrack consisting of 70s pop hits, etc.) in other films.

They absolutely have fallen into a formula. Not that I didn't enjoy them...as a comic book fan growing up, it was great to see some of those characters/stories come to life. I did love Iron Man 1, Guardians 1, Thor Ragnarok and Infinity War, but I gotta say I'm not super excited for anything new there. With all the main characters fleshed out, I don't know what much else they can do that is exciting. Same with Star Wars, although I did love the Mandalorian and will be looking forward to Obi-Wan.

Reactions: Joe4Cy

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
They absolutely have fallen into a formula. Not that I didn't enjoy them...as a comic book fan growing up, it was great to see some of those characters/stories come to life. I did love Iron Man 1, Guardians 1, Thor Ragnarok and Infinity War, but I gotta say I'm not super excited for anything new there. With all the main characters fleshed out, I don't know what much else they can do that is exciting. Same with Star Wars, although I did love the Mandalorian and will be looking forward to Obi-Wan.
Talk to me about the Mandalorian. When is it appropriate to start watching it?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Talk to me about the Mandalorian. When is it appropriate to start watching it?

Tough to say as it's only gone through one season. By chronological, it starts 5 years after episode 6.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
1. A New Hope
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Rogue One
5. Don't watch any of the other ones.
Came here to say this, but I enjoyed solo too and the mandalorian