Overcoming Life's Obstacles

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Ok ill share.

For most of my life ive snored. About 3 yrs ago my wife told me that my snoring had gotten louder and that it seemed like i was holding my breathe too long. There were some nights where it was so bad she would move to the couch (facepalm) to be able to sleep. At that time, i brushed it off and told her id figure it out. I didnt.

I began to have problems with severe acid reflux, night sweats, and i would wake myself up throughout the night gasping for air.

Then, I began to have problems with daytime drowsiness, feeling like crap, and weight gain. It got so bad i began to fall asleep at work, and my work performance started to decline.

At this time i did my research and sought out my doctor for a referral for a sleep study.

Took a couple weeks to get my sleep study set up, but i able to do the ‘at home’ study. Sleep dr told me they’d have my results in about a week and call me. Sleep dr called me back 2 days after my study to tell me i had SEVERE obstructive sleep apnea, and that he wanted me to get set up for a cpap machine. Few days later i visited the medical equipment people and got my cpap.

First night i was only able to use it for about 6 hours, but i felt immensely better.

i have been ‘compliant‘ with my cpap since the day ive gotten it, and almost immediately following things started to get better. While im not excited about the recurring monthly monitoring charges, i will accept them if it means i can live my life to the fullest.

My biggest regret in life thus far, is that i didnt ask for help earlier.
Got a cpap at age 31. Game changer. It’s weird. It’s sucks as first. Testing is awful. But so worth it.

I’ve since lost about 30 lbs and not sure how necessary it still is but I still use it willingly.

There’s another massive life hurdle I’ve overcome but I’ll keep that one behind the curtain. Anyone can overcome many many things if they ask for help and accept what life’s thrown at them.

Last edited:

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Definitely anxiety and depression. Have worked extremely hard over the years but just this past march got food poisoning one evening and basically was in a full panic attack for the next month.

Slowly getting back to where I was before. One thing I’ve learned is I can never stop working on it. I need to continue working out, practicing meditation/mindfulness along with proper nutrition/supplements.

With that being said I have been suffering from Low T as well. First discovered it a few years ago and just recently started working with a great urologist who we are putting together a plan to address this. It won’t be a magic bullet but hopefully it helps with some issues like fatigue, brain fog, recovery, etc. I have total T of a 65 year old and the one that really matters is the free T which is at the level of an 80+ year old...I’m only 30.

edit to add: anyone that is struggling with any of these things please reach out. I’ll be happy to help in anyway I can. Sometimes even just talking about it with someone else can help. Knowing you aren’t the only one is very important to remember.

Last edited:

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Alcohol is no solution. Before depression and anxiety became known, many of us used it to deal with these things. It never ends well.

One more add, and I think this is why it can strike in college. Caffeine and alcohol both dehydrate but strip minerals from the body including Mg.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Threads like these remind me when I’m feeling sorry for myself, that a great majority of people in the world have been through far worse and persevered.

Any 'problems' I have or have ever had are equivalent to having one briefly untied shoe compared to what some people go through regularly.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I've been taking a Mg optimizer just about everyday now. I have no problems and dont have to worry about any of the other stuff. Do NOT take the oxide form or any calcium pills. Those exacerbate the issue. Mine is a Mg malate with B6, K, and taurine.

Can you link me to an Mg Optimizer? I have the oxide form but would be willing to try something different.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I feel like I haven’t any at all. Extremely blessed with a loving, healthy family and a good job. Sometimes I get down on myself on the “what-ifs” of different career paths. I feel like I settled. But that’s just me being a whiney *****. Nothing bordering on depression.

I sometimes am worried “I’m due.” Which is a terrible thought with children. Enjoy ever day.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
One more add, and I think this is why it can strike in college. Caffeine and alcohol both dehydrate but strip minerals from the body including Mg.
I should mention if I drink I only have one to two to take the edge off. I have ocd so I obsessed about not overdoing alcohol. I think substance use is a type of ocd.

Regarding caffeine, I have avoided like the plague for about a year now, but since I'm making progress, I am trying to add it some. The purpose is to teach myself I can do whatever I want and not worry about having a panic attack. In order to overcome anxiety, you have to seek it and learn to detach yourself from the feelings.

Reactions: ISU22CY

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I should mention if I drink I only have one to two to take the edge off. I have ocd so I obsessed about not overdoing alcohol. I think substance use is a type of ocd.

After developing anxiety, alcohol makes me extremely depressed for days following. Drinking a six pack with the boys wasn't a big deal fifteen years ago - next day was like nothing happened. Now I feel horrible for days and it isn't a hangover. I can drink two or three. Any more than that and I'm in a funk for a while.

joker

Oct 4, 2012
I've suffered from anxiety and depression.
I now take magnesium supplements a few times a week, not sure if it helps.
I also have a cpap machine and has helped a ton with sleeping and day time drowsiness.
I got laid off last week, and I fully expect the anxiety and depression to ramp up.
I drink way to much, but it helps me to forget a lot of the bad things going on right now.

I tried talking with a therapist, it helped, then she was gone for 10 weeks for a medical issue, haven't seen her since.

Being able to just talk to someone is what helps me. Although, it has to be someone not close to me. I think of it as a sort of confession.

safmusic

May 30, 2006
3 steps to emotional healing. You can do yourself. I use for previous anger issues, etc. For depression, anxiety, PTSD. Go to "praying medic" on utube. I got several of his short books for people I know having problems to help them walk thru their problems. It is not me. Seems to be helping immensely for most. Some have so deep that may take a bit longer, or multiple uses. Be much help with or without therapist. May help speed up the process...most it does.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
After developing anxiety, alcohol makes me extremely depressed for days following. Drinking a six pack with the boys wasn't a big deal fifteen years ago - next day was like nothing happened. Now I feel horrible for days and it isn't a hangover. I can drink two or three. Any more than that and I'm in a funk for a while.

I don't experience anxiety or anything (that I'm aware of) but over the years I've definitely found myself feeling depressed for a day or two after even moderate drinking.

Really interesting that I never really noticed that for all the years I regularly drank.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
I suffered my first anxiety attack in Dubuque right after I did a program for work where I had to present before a large crowd. It started with heart palpations and got out of control. I was so scared I thought I was about to die.

The next 10 years or so we're awful. During that period, I lost my father to lung cancer, my brother to a drunk driver, and my father-in-law to suicide. My anxiety attacks kept coming and I lived in constant fear. But I had 3 kids and a wife to support so I knew I had to somehow keep it together.

I slowly got better bit by bit. When the attacks came, I kept telling myself 3 things over and over. 1) I'm not going to die, 2) this feeling will pass, and 3) I must focus on what's going outside my body, not inside.

I also stumbled upon near death experience research and I started devouring everything I could related to the topic. I found immense comfort in knowing God was there for my dad, my brother, and my father-in-law, and he'll be there for me and my family when our time comes.

20 years later and I still get pretty anxious at times, still have palpations, and still have some sleepless nights, but I'm so much better. I just pray my kids don't inherit this trait from me.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I suffered my first anxiety attack in Dubuque right after I did a program for work where I had to present before a large crowd. It started with heart palpations and got out of control. I was so scared I thought I was about to die.

The next 10 years or so we're awful. During that period, I lost my father to lung cancer, my brother to a drunk driver, and my father-in-law to suicide. My anxiety attacks kept coming and I lived in constant fear. But I had 3 kids and a wife to support so I knew I had to somehow keep it together.

I slowly got better bit by bit. When the attacks came, I kept telling myself 3 things over and over. 1) I'm not going to die, 2) this feeling will pass, and 3) I must focus on what's going outside my body, not inside.

I also stumbled upon near death experience research and I started devouring everything I could related to the topic. I found immense comfort in knowing God was there for my dad, my brother, and my father-in-law, and he'll be there for me and my family when our time comes.

20 years later and I still get pretty anxious at times, still have palpations, and still have some sleepless nights, but I'm so much better. I just pray my kids don't inherit this trait from me.
I was told by my therapist that there is some research that shows anxiety is linked to a mother's ability to handle distress. I am happy to hear it's manageable for you!

cydeeps

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 7, 2010
Sorry, this is going to be kinda long:

A random (and first), severe, panic attack I had towards the end of my college years sent me down a path of constant anxiety, which elevated into OCD (which I Iater came to learn is really just a particular manifestation of anxiety).There were many days where I would be at work pretending like everything was fine, but I would be staring at my computer screen obsessing over the latest anxious thought. Sometimes this would go on for hours. I would be in conversations with my friends and family, but couldn't truly listen because the anxious thoughts were too terrifyingly distracting. This sent me down a long path of learning how to manage mental health. It was a really tough journey at first because it was all very new and terrifying. After countless hours of research, meditation, books, and podcasts, I am at a place where I can't even remember the last time I had some sort of debilitating anxiety. In my current mental state I don't think it's possible because I don't fear anxiety anymore (the act of fearing anxiety/panic attacks itself is often what pushes people over the edge into panic attacks or severe anxiety).

A few things that really helped me:
  • Good ol' Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT): This helped most at the beginning when I had no idea wtf was going on and needed a professional to get me started down the right path of helping myself
  • Researching how anxiety works, what the chemical and behavioral mechanisms are that make it happen. Knowledge was power for me.
  • Reading various self-improvement/psychology books. Just the 2 most impactful for me:
    • For anyone with severe panic attacks I would absolutely recommend "DARE" by Barry McDonagh. This was probably 90% of what cured me of my fairly constant panic attacks
    • "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F**K" by Mark Manson added a ton of perspective to any anxieties I had
  • Meditation: I can't recommend meditation enough. Not just for people that struggle with diagnosed mental health issues, but to improve mental fitness in general. You hear so much about exercising the body to maintain physical health, but there is not near as much written about the importance of meditation in maintaining mental health. I recommend the "Headspace" app or "Waking Up" app for getting started with meditation.
  • Learning that anything I was feeling or thinking, no matter how horrible I thought it was, someone else had probably felt that exact same thing before, and had gotten through it. You are not alone. This really gave me hope.
Looking back, it is amazing how blind I was to the world of mental health issues until it impacted me.I am oddly thankful to have had that panic attack back in college. It led me down a journey of trying to see myself and the world around me more clearly which I think will help me make a more positive impact on others.

Reactions: Joe4Cy

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I've suffered from anxiety and depression.
I now take magnesium supplements a few times a week, not sure if it helps.
I also have a cpap machine and has helped a ton with sleeping and day time drowsiness.
I got laid off last week, and I fully expect the anxiety and depression to ramp up.
I drink way to much, but it helps me to forget a lot of the bad things going on right now.

I tried talking with a therapist, it helped, then she was gone for 10 weeks for a medical issue, haven't seen her since.

Being able to just talk to someone is what helps me. Although, it has to be someone not close to me. I think of it as a sort of confession.
If you haven't see if you can do some sessions with someone in your therapists office. Usually they have contingency plans in place to spread out work loads in emergencies like that. If cost is an issue see if your local NAMI chapter has any groups that may apply to you. Hope you feel better.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I've seen meditation mentioned a few times. I'm just starting to figure out what is going on and still have a ton of work to do, but this was recommended by a doctor without any real guidance. The better half installed a meditation app on my phone and asked me to use it. First time went ok. The second time made me so angry I wanted to find the person behind the voice and strangle her. I threw my headphones across the room.

It seems peak anxiety is not a time to jump into meditation with no guidance. :confused::)

cydeeps

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 7, 2010
I've seen meditation mentioned a few times. I'm just starting to figure out what is going on and still have a ton of work to do, but this was recommended by a doctor without any real guidance. The better half installed a meditation app on my phone and asked me to use it. First time went ok. The second time made me so angry I wanted to find the person behind the voice and strangle her. I threw my headphones across the room.

It seems peak anxiety is not a time to jump into meditation with no guidance. :confused::)

I would HIGHLY recommend the Headspace app for learning meditation. Like you said, it can be a frustrating experience if you aren't eased into it, and I think Headspace does a great job at teaching you the fundamentals at a reasonable pace.

Reactions: Joe4Cy

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011

I think some people, and I'm not saying you think of mediation as something you perfect or win. It's not something you'll ever do perfectly but even a "bad" meditation session isn't ever going to hurt. But by and large I feel like it's like any habit, eventually you can calm your brain within a minute or two and feel pretty rested within about 15.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I would HIGHLY recommend the Headspace app for learning meditation. Like you said, it can be a frustrating experience if you aren't eased into it, and I think Headspace does a great job at teaching you the fundamentals at a reasonable pace.

I bought a subscription to 10% Happier this year. It’s been ok. My one critique is there’s lots of little mini lessons, but not really a cohesive plan. To me, it seems better for someone more experienced.

I’ll probably subscribe to Headspace or Waking Up in 2021. If we’re still here.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Sorry, this is going to be kinda long:

A random (and first), severe, panic attack I had towards the end of my college years sent me down a path of constant anxiety, which elevated into OCD (which I Iater came to learn is really just a particular manifestation of anxiety).There were many days where I would be at work pretending like everything was fine, but I would be staring at my computer screen obsessing over the latest anxious thought. Sometimes this would go on for hours. I would be in conversations with my friends and family, but couldn't truly listen because the anxious thoughts were too terrifyingly distracting. This sent me down a long path of learning how to manage mental health. It was a really tough journey at first because it was all very new and terrifying. After countless hours of research, meditation, books, and podcasts, I am at a place where I can't even remember the last time I had some sort of debilitating anxiety. In my current mental state I don't think it's possible because I don't fear anxiety anymore (the act of fearing anxiety/panic attacks itself is often what pushes people over the edge into panic attacks or severe anxiety).

A few things that really helped me:
  • Good ol' Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT): This helped most at the beginning when I had no idea wtf was going on and needed a professional to get me started down the right path of helping myself
  • Researching how anxiety works, what the chemical and behavioral mechanisms are that make it happen. Knowledge was power for me.
  • Reading various self-improvement/psychology books. Just the 2 most impactful for me:
    • For anyone with severe panic attacks I would absolutely recommend "DARE" by Barry McDonagh. This was probably 90% of what cured me of my fairly constant panic attacks
    • "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F**K" by Mark Manson added a ton of perspective to any anxieties I had
  • Meditation: I can't recommend meditation enough. Not just for people that struggle with diagnosed mental health issues, but to improve mental fitness in general. You hear so much about exercising the body to maintain physical health, but there is not near as much written about the importance of meditation in maintaining mental health. I recommend the "Headspace" app or "Waking Up" app for getting started with meditation.
  • Learning that anything I was feeling or thinking, no matter how horrible I thought it was, someone else had probably felt that exact same thing before, and had gotten through it. You are not alone. This really gave me hope.
Looking back, it is amazing how blind I was to the world of mental health issues until it impacted me.I am oddly thankful to have had that panic attack back in college. It led me down a journey of trying to see myself and the world around me more clearly which I think will help me make a more positive impact on others.
I want to say I'm proud of you and congratulations! As a fellow ocd sufferer, I understand the Hell of it!

My first panic attack happened in fifth grade and the last time I had a panic attack was within the last month, I'm 28. I have had hundreds if not thousands of panic attacks during that time. I have fears of being so small in the universe and things that are far away. In college, I struggled to study because every letter I would write would trigger me to think of a fear! It is debilitating!