How do you take your cob

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Grew up boiling and then just butter and salt.

Last few years have grilled with husk on. Great benefit is when slicing off stalk end of cob, the husk and silk slide off pretty easy.

If it's just me, I am not too proud to just microwave. Again slicing stalk end- not a lot of silk cleanup.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Can someone explain to me a sure fire way to do corn on the grill that is good? Or maybe even smoked? I did it a couple times last year on the grill and it was fine but just didn’t do much for me. I’m not sure I was using the right approach though.

And @bsaltyman you should be kicked out of this thread for spreading trash like that. We’re you raised by hawk fans??!

StormnClone58

Jan 24, 2008
West Des Moines
Can someone explain to me a sure fire way to do corn on the grill that is good? Or maybe even smoked? I did it a couple times last year on the grill and it was fine but just didn’t do much for me. I’m not sure I was using the right approach though.

And @bsaltyman you should be kicked out of this thread for spreading trash like that. We’re you raised by hawk fans??!

i personally have not try this yet, but as someone else said and as ive ‘heard’... soak the corn in water 30-60 mins before putting onto the grill.

I will be testing this out tonight, so i will report back what i find out.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
i personally have not try this yet, but as someone else said and as ive ‘heard’... soak the corn in water 30-60 mins before putting onto the grill.

I will be testing this out tonight, so i will report back what i find out.
Yep. Did that. Didn’t seem to have the same amount of flavor or something. Could of been the corn but I doubt it. It was a good batch.

bsaltyman

Drinker of beer
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
tenor.gif

Look at me. I’m JM4CY, and I’m too fancy to eat corn on the cob anyway other than horizontal rows. Unless, of course I have one of my servants feed it to me kernel by kernel on a golden spoon.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
tenor.gif

Look at me. I’m JM4CY, and I’m too fancy to eat corn on the cob anyway other than horizontal rows. Unless, of course I have one of my servants feed it to me kernel by kernel on a golden spoon.
Not a pretentious prick, salty. I just prefer to eat corn like a normal Iowan.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

A friend of mine husks it, butters it, wraps it in a wet paper towel, then wraps it in foil and grills it.

I'll give him credit, it cooked evenly and was pretty damn good, but I didn't notice a significant difference in that and boiling it to justify the extra work.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Cold and plain. Cook it up whatever way seems easiest at the time, toss in the fridge, eat it without butter or salt hours later.

It's wrong, I know.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Cold and plain. Cook it up whatever way seems easiest at the time, toss in the fridge, eat it without butter or salt hours later.

It's wrong, I know.

It's not wrong. I love it this way.