How are camps going on but we may not have football?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CycloneVet917

Jul 9, 2020
Under Armour camp is happening today. The Elite 11 happened. FBU camps are happening.

How can all these camps be happening but football games may not? What's the difference?

I would understand if they said no fans, just tv only... but to not play at all would be odd with everything else going on.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Under Armour camp is happening today. The Elite 11 happened. FBU camps are happening.

How can all these camps be happening but football games may not? What's the difference?

I would understand if they said no fans, just tv only... but to not play at all would be odd with everything else going on.
I can only guess that the number of participants and duration play a factor. A week vs 4 months. Also possible that these groups are more easily sheltered from the masses. Plus, hard to determine the motivation and priorities of those running these events. Not much of an answer, but the best I could come up with.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Because we're planning on having a football season. Have to prepare like there will be, at least until the plug is pulled.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
We have high schools still doing summer workouts in San Antonio. They aren’t stopping, regardless of numbers.

I don’t think the season, or in person school, will happen, at least full time. but they are going ahead like normal.

be safe

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Part of it is that it's a lot easier for these camps to not have to take responsibility for anyone who gets it (since they'll be gone by the time they test positive) and it won't be their problem any more.

The question with sports is what is going to happen once someone on a team tests positive during the season? Does that mean that the entire team has to sit out until they all test negative? Or just the players who the individual interacted with the most? Is it even worth playing any more if each team has half of their starting lineup out because they're quarantining? These are all just things to think about and we won't really know the answers until a league is forced to confront the situation.

The camps don't have to worry about any of these questions since athletes are just there for a day or a few days or weeks.

Apr 19, 2006
Camps that are still going on are not at colleges/universities, and more than likely at private facilities. Liability is huge.

We have kids who are doing camps for multiple sports and they are being held on college campus.

What worries me is that kids will get sick from attending these camps for sports that aren't in season and ruin their football season and possibly their next sports as well.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Shorter duration and only being around the other campers is different than longer duration and being around thousands of other college students.

There's already been summer camps that have experienced outbreaks so I'd be surprised if these didn't have the same outcome.

Word was that cases traced back to a hockey tourney in Ashland, WI, that could be further traced back to someone attending that knew they had Covid.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
We have kids who are doing camps for multiple sports and they are being held on college campus.

What worries me is that kids will get sick from attending these camps for sports that aren't in season and ruin their football season and possibly their next sports as well.

I'm curious - are the on-campus events at big public universities? From what I know, they have been very risk-averse. Smaller/private colleges/universities seem to be still running some, from what I know. Some conferences have gone as far as banning all summer camps (although those restrictions may have lifted some.)

The more "private" camps, like Georges' basketball camp are still going on (last I knew there were still openings, sign up now!) Meanwhile, I'm looking at cancelling a Cub Scouts' campout, as the county park is leery of us having a total of 25 participants. Outdoors. Where we can be very distanced.

Reactions: bozclone

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Large AAU basketball tournaments are happening. Indianapolis hosted approximately 500 teams in two different AAU tournaments the weekend of July 6th. They estimated about 6000 players attended.

Travel softball tournaments are also happening. I have a co-worker that is at a softball "World Series" event in Tennessee this week with his daughter.

Yet everyone is focused on College football.

Apr 19, 2006
I'm curious - are the on-campus events at big public universities? From what I know, they have been very risk-averse. Smaller/private colleges/universities seem to be still running some, from what I know. Some conferences have gone as far as banning all summer camps (although those restrictions may have lifted some.)

The more "private" camps, like Georges' basketball camp are still going on (last I knew there were still openings, sign up now!) Meanwhile, I'm looking at cancelling a Cub Scouts' campout, as the county park is leery of us having a total of 25 participants. Outdoors. Where we can be very distanced.

These are team camps, one is in Ames, one is at Grandview, and I'm not sure where the other two are at, they are all in Iowa and if I had to guess there won't be more then 20 teams there.