Formula One starts this weekend, am I the only fan?

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
Poor Williams, only 11 cars running at the end, and they were number 11. Next week could be a repeat on reliability, I doubt they can get much done in 5 days before practice starts next Friday.
I was present for every lap of every practice session and race for the entire run of the Ruan Grand Prix. The flood and subsequent cancellation put them in a finacial bind, then replacing the Trans-Am with NASCAR West (or whatever it was, I don't remeber) killed it. A couple of my favorite memories were both from the World Challenge Series; watching the Lotus run about three laps while on fire and watching the Archer Bros Talons storm to the front when it starting raining. That was better than any advertisment for the advantages of all wheel drive.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Poor Williams, only 11 cars running at the end, and they were number 11. Next week could be a repeat on reliability, I doubt they can get much done in 5 days before practice starts next Friday.
I was present for every lap of every practice session and race for the entire run of the Ruan Grand Prix. The flood and subsequent cancellation put them in a finacial bind, then replacing the Trans-Am with NASCAR West (or whatever it was, I don't remeber) killed it. A couple of my favorite memories were both from the World Challenge Series; watching the Lotus run about three laps while on fire and watching the Archer Bros Talons storm to the front when it starting raining. That was better than any advertisment for the advantages of all wheel drive.
Would have been weird to see Latifi score points in his rookie debut, especially in a Williams given their cars as of late, but he really did have the opportunity.

When's the last time a race had 9 retirements?

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Finally got through the race on my dvr. Great race to start the season I’m a big Mclaren fan so seeing Norris finish on the podium after their drought makes me really happy and excited for the season.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Finally got through the race on my dvr. Great race to start the season I’m a big Mclaren fan so seeing Norris finish on the podium after their drought makes me really happy and excited for the season.
Yeah, would be pretty sweet if they could somehow challenge for a top-3 constructors' finish this year after the financial troubles and Zak switching roles.

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
Would have been weird to see Latifi score points in his rookie debut, especially in a Williams given their cars as of late, but he really did have the opportunity.

When's the last time a race had 9 retirements?
I remember the 1996 Monaco GP, 3 cars running at the end, and Ligiers's last win with Oliver Panis' only victory. The cars are way more reliable than they used to be, partly from necessity due to engine and part restrictions.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Vettel won't be racing next year unless Red Bull decide to kick Albon to the curb. As cut throat as Red Bull is that wouldn't surprise me.
I think Albon would have to have a pretty disappointing year for that to happen though. But agree, the way we saw Max and Danny play out and then Max and Pierre, I don't think Horner is one to beat around the bush.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I think Albon would have to have a pretty disappointing year for that to happen though. But agree, the way we saw Max and Danny play out and then Max and Pierre, I don't think Horner is one to beat around the bush.
I mean this doesn't mean anything but Vettel sounds like he's interested if RBR is.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I mean this doesn't mean anything but Vettel sounds like he's interested if RBR is.

Saw that. I saw Verstappen spoke on it again to the defense of Albon though but.. it's also not his choice to make so doesn't really mean anything like you said.

“I was just trying to be polite and nice by saying I could imagine it,” said Verstappen, regarding his comments on TV. “I think at the moment the team is very happy with both of us and I am really happy with Alex as a team mate. He’s first of all a very nice guy in the team, which is good for everyone.

"He’s good with setups, so we both give good feedback to the team. And he’s a fast guy. So I don’t think there is any reason to change, and I think Christian and Helmut can back that up. It’s also not up to me to decide these things.”

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...n-would-prefer-to.6rC5OsifstIe237yLfl2FT.html

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I can't find the link right now but I read this morning where Helmut Marko told Vettel he'd better plan on sitting next year out.
Yeah, watching the first practice for this weekend right now and Horner just said on the radio that it's a definite no on Vettel to Red Bull. They like the pairing they've got.

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
There is going to be a race at Mugello. Famous track, MotoGP races there, I don't know how well it will be for F1. No long straights followed by sharp curves, which seems to be a requirement for passing in F1.

KCCLONE712

Jun 29, 2011
I love F1 but I much rather watch on TV these days. The first few races I saw were in person were with the V10 unrestricted rev limit. The sound/feel was simply amazing. I've been to a couple of races since 2014 and it so disappointing.

Watching the "classic" cars race around the track is so much more gratifying.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Wet qualifications today, caused a good delay.

Really some interesting results though. Racing Point really struggled in the wet, Sergio didn't even get to the second session. Stroll is P13.

Russell had a really nice showing for Williams, P12.

Leclerc and Vettel switched roles this time, Charles didn't make it to the last session.

Gasly looked pretty good.

Danny started slow in the first session, looked decent in the second, but really wonder if his crash yesterday got in his mind as I don't think his time ever improved positions for him.

Ocon looked sluggish to start but wow. I thought he looked really rusty last week and so far through this weekend given the time differences between him and Danny- but by the last session, he looked great. P5 has to feel good.

Sainz P3, so McLaren looks poised to lead the middle pack but Norris' grid penalty bumps his P6.

Verstappen almost had a wreck in the very last turn but escaped and kept P2. Albon still looks young, not quite up to pace in the rain.

Mercedes and Red Bull are the clear 1, 2.

Last edited:

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Wet qualifications today, caused a good delay.

Really some interesting results though. Racing Point really struggled in the wet, Sergio didn't even get to the second session. Stroll is P13.

Russell had a really nice showing for Williams, P12.

Leclerc and Vettel switched roles this time, Charles didn't make it to the last session.

Gasly looked pretty good.

Danny started slow in the first session, looked decent in the second, but really wonder if his crash yesterday got in his mind as I don't think his time ever improved positions for him.

Ocon looked sluggish to start but wow. I thought he looked really rusty last week and so far though this weekend given the time differences between him and Danny- but by the last session, he looked great. P5 has to be his best qualy ever.

Sainz P3, so McLaren looks poised to lead the middle pack but Norris' grid penalty bumps his P6.

Verstappen almost had a wreck in the very last turn but escaped and kept P2. Albon still looks young, not quite up to pace in the rain.

Mercedes and Red Bull are the clear 1, 2.
Also... Grosjean went off track on his outlap in the first session and then they had to switch up tires and by the time he got back out there he only had enough time for a couple laps. I don't know if he even got a time on the board.

I'm honestly kinda shocked at how many chances he gets. Some of that is the car but... mistake after mistake.

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
Also... Grosjean went off track on his outlap in the first session and then they had to switch up tires and by the time he got back out there he only had enough time for a couple laps. I don't know if he even got a time on the board.

I'm honestly kinda shocked at how many chances he gets. Some of that is the car but... mistake after mistake.
Agree, I was hoping Haas could do better, but they are slipping towards the very bottom. And they haven't help themselves by keeping Grosjean year after year. If you are going to be a bottom feeder at least give some young Americans a taste of F1.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Agree, I was hoping Haas could do better, but they are slipping towards the very bottom. And they haven't help themselves by keeping Grosjean year after year. If you are going to be a bottom feeder at least give some young Americans a taste of F1.
Yeah, the team is kind of a mess. Brake issues last week, Magnussen's car had battery issues so he couldn't even get out there for the first practice yesterday..

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
And Leclerc knocks Seb into a lap one retirement catching air on turn three's inside curb..

Ferrari not helping themselves.