****OFFICIAL 2020 MINNESOTA TWINS THREAD****

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
While we keep waiting for the season to start up-- here's a Twins trivia question (I guessed wrong)--- "What Twins HOFer has the highest WAR?

I’ll go Kirby but I’m guessing a more sneaky one. Probably Carew

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Here's the actual numbers-- Bert 94.5, Carew 81.3, Harmon 60.4, Kirby 51.1, and, although not in the HOF he's one of the most talented Twins ever, Tony O 43.1.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Here's the actual numbers-- Bert 94.5, Carew 81.3, Harmon 60.4, Kirby 51.1, and, although not in the HOF he's one of the most talented Twins ever, Tony O 43.1.
That’s good trivia! I’ll be remembering that one.

You know that actually makes quite a bit of sense. If I remember right, Bert leveraged hard his baseball analytics the last few years he was eligible to sway voters. One of those cases where the stats really helped him a lot. I’m glad he got in.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Here’s another one that might be a little easier. Who has hit the most homers in the Dome?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Jim Thome or Mike Sweeney ...

But Hrbek for my final answer.
Hrbie is correct. Almost 300 of them which almost surprised more than anything.

Also, Thome is a good answer. I need to look up what visitor has hit the most. I know Cecil Fielder has hit a lot in there. The big hurt too. I saw Junior hit one off of Kirbys cheek when they had him up on that curtain in right.

Another Fun story: circa 1998 I saw Cecil hit one off the top of the dome I swear to god was near straight above the warning track in left. Everyone in there was like my god that would of left the building. Long ass Ground rule double.

Reactions: CTTB78

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
Hrbie is correct. Almost 300 of them which almost surprised more than anything.

Also, Thome is a good answer. I need to look up what visitor has hit the most. I know Cecil Fielder has hit a lot in there. The big hurt too. I saw Junior hit one off of Kirbys cheek when they had him up on that curtain in right.

Another Fun story: circa 1998 I saw Cecil hit one off the top of the dome I swear to god was near straight above the warning track in left. Everyone in there was like my god that would of left the building. Long ass Ground rule double.

I went to a lot of mid and late 90s games at the dome. Family tickets were $3 and you could run the bases after the game.

Reactions: CTTB78

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Here's a weird Twins trivia question that I've won a buck or two on-- Name the only MLB player born on a train?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I went to a lot of mid and late 90s games at the dome. Family tickets were $3 and you could run the bases after the game.
Nothing like running the bases. I was kid in that era though. Got my ass chewed for running out of line once to touch the left field wall.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
.....You know that actually makes quite a bit of sense. If I remember right, Bert leveraged hard his baseball analytics the last few years he was eligible to sway voters. One of those cases where the stats really helped him a lot. I’m glad he got in.

Agree. Still remember listening to Herb Carneal's call when a 19 year old kid with the best curveball in the game debuted for the Twins. Bert was absolutely dominant and his 60 shutouts (his most mind blowing stat) will never be seen again.

Last edited:

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Buxton picked up an injury? Didnt hear thr severity on the radio

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Buxton picked up an injury? Didnt hear thr severity on the radio
They didn’t say. They took him in for an MRI or something and Rocco was fairly optimistic but was cautious. They had to cart him off of the field. Will know more today.

He didn’t even make it to opening day................o_O

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Fun Blyleven story.....as a young lad I was at the Met for a doubleheader against the Washington Senators. Blyleven, a rookie at the time, pitched the opener and won. After the game, I waited around for autographs. Blyleven comes out of the clubhouse carrying a couple cases of Heineken....we kids mobbed him, and after he put his beer in his trunk he signed for all of us. Great guy. He had a brand new Ford Thunderbird with a trunk remote, none of us had ever seen anything like that before.

Got Oliva's auto the same day. He sat on the hood of his car and talked with a bunch of us kids for 15-20 minutes. He was hard to understand, but he obviously loved interacting with kids. Another great guy.

Those kinds of things simply don't happen anymore.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Fun Blyleven story.....as a young lad I was at the Met for a doubleheader against the Washington Senators. Blyleven, a rookie at the time, pitched the opener and won. After the game, I waited around for autographs. Blyleven comes out of the clubhouse carrying a couple cases of Heineken....we kids mobbed him, and after he put his beer in his trunk he signed for all of us. Great guy. He had a brand new Ford Thunderbird with a trunk remote, none of us had ever seen anything like that before.

Got Oliva's auto the same day. He sat on the hood of his car and talked with a bunch of us kids for 15-20 minutes. He was hard to understand, but he obviously loved interacting with kids. Another great guy.

Those kinds of things simply don't happen anymore.
One might say that day “you were hereby circled”

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
From Star Tribune late this afternoon:

"Twins center fielder Byron Buxton has been diagnosed with a left mid-foot sprain and is day-to-day, the team announced."

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron