New Mexico first state to say no high school football

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I thought his comment captured the essence of it. They do strongly recommend sending kids back to school.
Yes they do.
They recommend doing it in a SAFE manner, and list about a million recommendations to do that. To the uniformed reader who just sees “They Strongly Recommend in Person Schools”, although true, it really shortchanges their message - imo. Also, some of the reasoning, partially based upon impact on minorities and poorer people is interesting. So, I do not disagree with the statement, only trying to inform those that there is much more to the story.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

hoopitup

Feb 8, 2012
West Des Moines
School is a hell of a lot more necessary than a football game.

My guess is the people crying the loudest about things being cancelled are also the last people to even consider wearing a mask because of their "freedom."

Fact of the matter is we could've sported masks two months ago and be basically in the clear right now but many Americans decided they were too cool for that. Now we all get to pay for their stupidity.

I totally agree here. By pushing for the economy to open and arguing "you cannot make me wear a mask because it violates my rights", we are paying for it down the road. There was foresight for this but our government did not put it into play. It's a major fail on their part and we are paying consequences now and for the next several months. The big question of whether there will be sports this fall would be yes had we chose to act responsibly. Now we are paying for it.

I don't think you can make a call yet on calling off fall sports. It's not fair to anyone. You want to tell kids who live for sports/activities on July 10 they can't do the thing they love for the next school year? That's going to turn a lot of kids off.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Yes they do.
They recommend doing it in a SAFE manner, and list about a million recommendations to do that. To the uniformed reader who just sees “They Strongly Recommend in Person Schools”, although true, it really shortchanges their message - imo. Also, some of the reasoning, partially based upon impact on minorities and poorer people is interesting. So, I do not disagree with the statement, only trying to inform those that there is much more to the story.

My statement doesn't "shortchange" anything. It was a response to a person who said we don't need in-person school, when a professional organization of doctors has said just the opposite. Of course the schools need to be safe in doing so. The point is that kids need social interaction, and we need to be working as best we can to make that happen, instead of just blindly following the "cancel everything" mentality.

Last edited:

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
My statement doesn't "shortchange" anything. It a response to a person who said we don't need in-person school, when a professional organization of doctors has said just the opposite. Of course the schools need to be safe in doing so. The point is that kids need the social interaction, and we need to be working as best we can to make that happen, instead of just blindly following the "cancel everything" mentality.
Glad to hear we agree.
I stand by my statement, I think many people need to fully understand the context of the statement. Obviously, you were well aware of the in depth set of recommendations that accompanied their statement. Others may not have been. Just trying to give people that need, or desire it, the full set of facts. A lot goes into making schools safe enough for in person classes.
Let’s all work towards making that happen to best protect our students and educators and staff.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
It would be foolish for Iowa HS not to flip fall and spring sports. Baseball and softball teams are going down every day.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I'm sure not. Is there liability if someone happens to die from a football-related injury? I'm not sure how all that works but there is already a certain amount of risk and liability in playing football before considering the vrius.

there’s a big difference between a freak tragic accident, and a highly contagious communicable virus.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
If that is the mentality of the player/their family, they shouldnt participate in the first place. Dont most, if not all, schools require the signing of a participation waiver? Language could be added to include COVID to those.

cool make sure to volunteer your kids first

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
yikes this is getting dicey now. These are minor children were talking about at this level. At some point the empathy to give a **** about these kids long term health has to take precedence.

You do realize who you’re talking to?

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Didn't the American Academy of Pediatrics a couple of weeks ago quite strongly state that we do need in-person school?

You did read the entire report where they said, in fact yes socialization is recommended.

but then they listed a whole bunch of qualifications on opening schools.

and in states like Florida and here in Texas none of those suggestions have been followed

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
You did read the entire report where they said, in fact yes socialization is recommended.

but then they listed a whole bunch of qualifications on opening schools.

and in states like Florida and here in Texas none of those suggestions have been followed

Exactly. Good post.

Of course it's best for all kids to go to school in person. But the American Academy of Pediatrics did NOT say it must happen at all costs. That why I said it wasn't a necessity. It's not more important than people's lives.

And I really doubt that we as a country have what it takes to do it safely. I've seen no evidence of it yet anyway.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Exactly. Good post.

Of course it's best for all kids to go to school in person. But the American Academy of Pediatrics did NOT say it must happen at all costs. That why I said it wasn't a necessity. It's not more important than people's lives.

And I really doubt that we as a country have what it takes to do it safely. I've seen no evidence of it yet anyway.

absolutely not. They just canceled fiesta here in San Antonio, which they had rescheduled for November.

We’re now overrunning hospitals in the city as well. But at least we are still under reporting deaths so people don’t have to pretend it is a crisis.

Reactions: Cyclad

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
absolutely not. They just canceled fiesta here in San Antonio, which they had rescheduled for November.

We’re now overrunning hospitals in the city as well. But at least we are still under reporting deaths so people don’t have to pretend it is a crisis.

Here's what's going to start in Des Moines this weekend at Wells Fargo Arena. A Nike Basketball Tournament with over 120 games going on in the next few weeks. Just watch the following video and try not to cringe. We're never going to have in person school or sports this fall folks. We don't have what it takes to pull it off I'm afraid.

https://www.weareiowa.com/video/spo...ment/524-a990acd9-605e-4749-b49d-d61e73a3661e

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Here's what's going to start in Des Moines this weekend at Wells Fargo Arena. A Nike Basketball Tournament with over 120 games going on in the next few weeks. Just watch the following video and try not to cringe. We're never going to have in person school or sports this fall folks. We don't have what it takes to pull it off I'm afraid.

https://www.weareiowa.com/video/spo...ment/524-a990acd9-605e-4749-b49d-d61e73a3661e

If we all pretend hard enough, there is no pandemic.

Reactions: Cyclad

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
We all hope to have a fall sports season in both HS and College, but people throwing out the idea that if its too much of a risk to have sports, then we its too much of a risk to have school is really missing the bigger picture.
The population of any school district is very limited each day to the students and staff, plus a few others that happen to stop by the school. That number is totally different than people that will attend a sporting event. Many in the crowd are outside your local area, so its impossible to say for certain that everyone that is at the game is virus free. I cannot envision any school taking temperatures for the fans as they enter the stadium, and turning them away if they are higher than normal. But its very doable to take the temp of every student and staff entering a school building.

It sucks we may not have sports this fall, but its the world we currently live in, and no amount of complaining about it, is going to change that fact.

No, at this point I really don't believe this is true for everybody. There are a lot of people hoping for No football and school completely online.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
No, at this point I really don't believe this is true for everybody. There are a lot of people hoping for No football and school completely online.

I definitely wanted in person school this fall and all sports, both in HS and college, but in order to have that we needed to do what the scientists all said back in April and May..... and not wait until now to do something about it. Now is FAR too late, so we're screwed.

I sure hope everyone that ruined it for everyone else had a great summer come this fall when we're all shut down again.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
As a High School teacher and a Middle School FB Coach this is how I see it in Iowa. There will be less than zero leadership from the state on fall sports. I can see schools trying to play HS football, but getting hammered harder than we are in BB/SB due to contact. No games at the Middle School level, but still having practices and scrimmages so kids still learn the skills.

Most schools will start in person, and most won't have mask required due to the feedback they get from parents who say they won't send kids if mask are required (of course there are also parents who say if masks aren't required they won't send there kids). Schools are in a tough situation with little leadership from the top. You're looking at $8,000/kid in state funding, so if 30% say they aren't sending their kids, schools will have a tough row to hoe. There will be a lack of subs this fall and we will see a high percentage of teachers leave the profession.

That is just my opinion, but I think it'll be ugly.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
If that's your take, surely you're against them playing football at all until they're adults, no? Football is pretty dangerous, even when there aren't new viruses to worry about. Probably should add driving to the list - that's more deadly than the others combined. Think of the children!
just wrap every one in climate controlled and hepa filtered/purified bubbles indoors, plugged into the matrix for entertainment, soylent green will be provided by feeding tube.. it's the only way to keep anyone safe from anything that might cause harm...

Today Iowa announced 744 new cases, its getting worse out there not better, and this virus is going to be with us for awhile.
and has probably been here longer then thought as well...

I think if next year rolls around and we're in the same place we are now in terms of the virus, then we will have sports again despite the risk because the long term negatives of eliminating team sports for multiple years are worth the risk.
so why cancel now?? who knows when this will actually end....

Some states are playing youth football and baseball right now. In New Jersey, my brother's kid had his youth baseball game on Wednesday.
yeah co-workers son has been playing travel ball since the beginning of June tournament every weekend..

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron