My Wife Didn't Waste Her Cancer

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
So sorry for your loss......but THANK YOU for sharing your story and your humanity. I ended up going to your caring bridge site and reading about your wife and your family last night. I am thankful to learn more about your wife and to see her perspective/courage/faith (and yours).

Thank you.

Reactions: Acylum

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I went through a similar situation with my mom. Like your wife, she was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer in May 2017 and was only 55 years old. She went through several rounds of chemo, but it never really touched the cancer. Radiation helped, but could only do so much since it had already spread to several other organs when it was discovered. Also, she was a healthy person who never smoked as well. I was thankful I got the opportunity to take her to the Oklahoma State game this past fall, just her and I. Was pretty much the last time she was able to really get out of the house and do anything. She ended up passing away in December. It’s definitely doesn’t seem fair at all. I feel for you because I know how hard it is to see someone you love go through that. I’m sure your wife was a wonderful person.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
When I was reading her obituary in the Ames paper the other day, I kept thinking to myself: "Do I know her? It really seems like I know her, but I honestly don't think I've met her. Why do I think I know her?"

Maybe it was the Cyclone connection, maybe it was the year she was born, maybe it was one of those "things" for which the meaning becomes clear when it should.

Perhaps I just needed to read this post of yours to realize that while I didn't know her, I do know her, through you and your sharing. Peace to you.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
I've only read the last four or five posts on Caring Bridge. May I have just half of the strength and resolve and humor and peace that Judy showed whenever my time may come.

May God bless you, Steve, and your family.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
When I was reading her obituary in the Ames paper the other day, I kept thinking to myself: "Do I know her? It really seems like I know her, but I honestly don't think I've met her. Why do I think I know her?"

Maybe it was the Cyclone connection, maybe it was the year she was born, maybe it was one of those "things" for which the meaning becomes clear when it should.

Perhaps I just needed to read this post of yours to realize that while I didn't know her, I do know her, through you and your sharing. Peace to you.

She was a friend and liked by just about everyone she ever met, so it is very possible that you did encounter her somewhere along the way.

Reactions: cyfanatic

NEPatriotscy

Sep 3, 2006
It was an honor to be mentioned on the Quarantine podcast Sunday night. I’m just now getting back to the place where I want to be posting on the site.

I have been blessed with great family and friends. A great church family and professional colleagues. Great neighbors. And I have a great online community in CycloneFanatic.com (that has had many offline manifestations too).

When I first signed up on the site, I choose the username “Cycsk” because I wanted my real identity to be hidden in plain view (and I liked having a simple, but unpronounceable username). In the spirit of Cyclone Jerry, I’m “Cyclone Steve Kemp (Cyc-sk).” Over the years, I have become more open about my identity, particularly when we do things like the Camping World Bowl tailgate fundraiser. So, now, let’s open it up wide.

View attachment 73416

My wife Judy was fantastic and so supportive of my vocation and avocations, like Iowa State sports. We live in Ames, so we get tons of opportunities to attend. She was more of a gymnastics, swimming & diving, and volleyball fan, but also enjoyed basketball and football when the weather was good. Gymnastics was my “entry drug” for Iowa State sports. We got connected to the program during its heyday through our daughter’s participation in the Cardinal Gymnastics Club and couldn’t believe that we were able to have personal relationships with All-American caliber athletes. We came from Chicago where sports were great, but inaccessible, especially when compared to Ames. Judy never quite understood my enjoyment (addiction) of Cyclone Fanatic, yet she supported me in all the extra things related to it, as well as our large community tailgating before football games.

This photo was taken one day after her diagnosis with Stage IV lung cancer in 2017. It never seemed fair that someone who was a non-smoker and so health-conscious for all her life would be stricken. You can see by the look on her beautiful face that she was going to pursue “life over cancer,” not just be a victim of a cruel disease.

I could go on and on about how wonderful she was (as I alternate between writing something like this and being a blubbering idiot sobbing and swearing about the loss). If you want to experience some of her journey and lessons for yourself, she kept a very transparent and thoughtful journal on CaringBridge.com (www.caringbridge.org/visit/judykemp/journal). She didn’t want to “waste her cancer,” so she tried to use her three-years of experience, research, and reflection to educate and encourage readers on all sorts of health, medical, and faith matters.

If you don’t want to go down the emotional roller roaster of her CaringBridge.com journal, here is my summary of the main things for which she advocated:

· Donate to Caring Bridge. This has been such a wonderful vehicle for her to support so many others.

· Invest in health. Take seriously matters of nutrition, exercise, and rest, even if they are contrary to the Standard American Diet (which is SAD). We always have vegan options at our tailgates.

· Pursue Life Over Cancer. Her oncologist, Dr. Keith Block wrote a book by this title that has so much to offer about life and health, regardless of whether you have cancer. However, if you know anyone with cancer, refer them to the Block Center for Integrative Cancer Treatment. We actually looked forward to our tri-weekly trips for chemo because of our wonderful community of patients and staff.

· Embrace Isaiah 40:31. Find your strength in the Lord, not in yourself or your circumstances.

My dear Judy was the best!
I'm VERY saddened to hear this. Stay strong. May Judy's memory be eternal!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I listened to the podcast again over the weekend and I have one correction for @brentblum @ChrisMWilliams

Generally, I give people very good deals on tickets . . . way under market value . . . such as camping out in Denver for NCAA tickets so we could buy up the good ones when they got released, sell them at cost to Cyclone fans, and prevent scalpers from getting them . . . but I have been known to "subsidize the ticket fund" by gouging a bandwagon fan wanting a ticket at the last minute for the CyHok game.

Reactions: bozclone

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I listened to the podcast again over the weekend and I have one correction for @brentblum @ChrisMWilliams

Generally, I give people very good deals on tickets . . . way under market value . . . such as camping out in Denver for NCAA tickets so we could buy up the good ones when they got released, sell them at cost to Cyclone fans, and prevent scalpers from getting them . . . but I have been known to "subsidize the ticket fund" by gouging a bandwagon fan wanting a ticket at the last minute for the CyHok game.

If it was a Hawk fan you gouged, thank you for your service

Reactions: clone4life82

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
If it was a Hawk fan you gouged, thank you for your service

Nope. I don't like Hok fans enough to gouge them for tickets to a game at Jack Trice Stadium and I don't want them sitting anywhere near me.

Reactions: clone4life82

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
Nope. I don't like Hok fans enough to gouge them for tickets to a game at Jack Trice Stadium and I don't want them sitting anywhere near me.

About five years ago my brother passed away due to a brain aneurysm, which also coincides around the same time "**** Iowa" became en vogue on CF. That phrase and the creative ways it was used in this thread sure did brighten up, at for least a moment, a pretty crappy time in my life dealing with his death.

And as always, **** Iowa.

Reactions: Cycsk

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
So sorry for your loss, You and your wife embodied love of life and the Cyclone Spirit. God’s guidance.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
In a COVID-19 world, we are doing things very differently.

Here is the link to the virtual Celebration of Life service for my dear wife to be held on Saturday, July 25th 10am US Central Time:

And a link to her Caring Bridge journal: https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/judykemp/journal

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Ah, damn, Steve. I just now saw this thread. You have always spoken so highly and so lovingly of Judy that I feel like I know her, even tho she was rarely able to attend the recent events where our paths crossed.

Blessings to you and yours - may your memories of her bring a smile to your lips and peace to your soul.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
It's not easy to write that and put yourself out there. I'm sorry for your loss.

My sister managed to live 4 years with Stage 4 cancer and about 2.5 of them were good quality of life. I hope I can be positive like the two of them if I face something similar.

Best wishes to you and all affected by her departure.