Marcus Fizer Jr.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Meh, pump the breaks on him. This is one Iowa State could enter late in the game and still be in the running for. I'm sure Marcus and Prohm are in communication but for CSP to offer just because he is a legacy and his dad was a stud fan favorite sounds a lot like the Murray Twins that Fran drools over. We love to laugh at that if you recall. I'm sure the Hawks would see it the same way.

If we really are itching to fill an assistant coach spot with a former player I'd rather sign Bryan Petersen. He's now up to the South Dakota State ranks and is flippin brilliant. He would be awesome for Prohm as an X's and O's guy.........plus you just know his kids if and when they play basketball will be about as fundamentally sound and smart as they come.

While it never made a lick of sense for Brian to play ahead of scholarship players for a coach claiming he was building a program, I’m glad he’s has had success in the coaching ranks Mrs Petersen.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Fizer dunk over Chris Mihm...Why?...because it NEVER gets old watching!

THIS ALL DAY

I think this will be my favorite ISU Men BBall play of all time.

I don't know if everyone remembers but Mihm was a bit of an ego and of course, anything Texas was hyped beyond belief. Fizer owned him that entire game.

I am entirely in favor of his son coming here and repeating the Fizer era.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Meh, pump the breaks on him. This is one Iowa State could enter late in the game and still be in the running for. I'm sure Marcus and Prohm are in communication but for CSP to offer just because he is a legacy and his dad was a stud fan favorite sounds a lot like the Murray Twins that Fran drools over. We love to laugh at that if you recall. I'm sure the Hawks would see it the same way.

If we really are itching to fill an assistant coach spot with a former player I'd rather sign Bryan Petersen. He's now up to the South Dakota State ranks and is flippin brilliant. He would be awesome for Prohm as an X's and O's guy.........plus you just know his kids if and when they play basketball will be about as fundamentally sound and smart as they come.
The kid is in 8th or 9th grade. Time is on everyone's side.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Well this is an interesting comment, assuming he develops ISU is in good position here.

"PI: Do you have a dream school?
MF: I guess I would say Iowa State, but I think second would be Kentucky or Duke. As long as I’m playing that’s good, if I get to that next level that’s fine by me."
I like all those choices besides Kentucky or duke :D

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
People that never really saw him play when he was at Iowa State have no idea.

his senior year he averaged 25 and 9.4 as a 6’4 forward. I was there the day he had 24 rebounds against US International, That’s a crazy number. He also had 32 points that day.

He was also on the all defensive team all four years.

Same could be said fo Don Smith (aka Zaid Abdul-Aziz). Freshman were not eligible when he played and you had to win your league to dance, so he only had 25 games a season. He averaged over 24 ppg each of his last two seasons for a career 22.3. He averaged over 13 rebounds each of his three years including 14.6 as a senior.

He was Big 12 POY, but only consensus third team AA, thanks to the likes of Lew Alcindor, Bob Lanier, Elvin Hayes, and Wes Unsld sucking up most of the big man votes. Marcus deserved to be first team, but you look at the AA's in 2000, they were not exactly future NBA Hall of Famers.

And like Fizer and Grayer, Abdul-Aziz still thinks fondly of his time at ISU.

Last edited:
Reactions: t-noah and Peter

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Samr could be said fo Don Smith (aka Zaid Abdul-Aziz). Freshman were not eligible when he played and you had to win your league to dance, so he only had 25 games a season. He averaged over 24 ppg each of his last two seasons for a career 22.3. He averaged over 13 rebounds each of his three years including 14.6 as a senior.

He was Big 12 POY, but only consensus third team AA, thanks to the likes of Lew Alcindor, Bob Lanier, Elvin Hayes, and Wes Unsld sucking up most of the big man votes.

I agree, him I’ve heard stories of, as he played before I was born.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
Samr could be said fo Don Smith (aka Zaid Abdul-Aziz). Freshman were not eligible when he played and you had to win your league to dance, so he only had 25 games a season. He averaged over 24 ppg each of his last two seasons for a career 22.3. He averaged over 13 rebounds each of his three years including 14.6 as a senior.

He was Big 12 POY, but only consensus third team AA, thanks to the likes of Lew Alcindor, Bob Lanier, Elvin Hayes, and Wes Unsld sucking up most of the big man votes. Marcus deserved to be first team, but you look at the AA's in 2000, they were not exactly future NBA Hall of Famers.

Also Abdul-Aziz's scoring didn't have a boost from the three-point shot and I'm not sure of the status of the dunk shot. The dunk shot was illegal when I was in high school but became permissible sometime during my late college years or later.

Reactions: Royalclone

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Also Abdul-Aziz's scoring didn't have a boost from the three-point shot and I'm not sure of the status of the dunk shot. The dunk shot was illegal when I was in high school but became permissible sometime during my late college years or later.

I always heard it was the Lew Alcindor rule, but in his book Abdul-Aziz believes Henry Iba pushed for it because of him.

• Informative
Reactions: t-noah

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City

https://media.giphy.com/media/VIuIZek5adjh5EJBeV/giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

Gotta love Naz, NAZARETH MITROU-LONG ! And his love for ISU. He would definitely make a good coaching candidate if he chooses that route, some day.

Interestingly, ELIJAH MITROU-LONG , Naz' brother (like who other could possibly have the same last name, ha) finished his final (senior) year under TJ Otz at UNLV, last year.

Reactions: Cycl0nepower

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Same could be said fo Don Smith (aka Zaid Abdul-Aziz). Freshman were not eligible when he played and you had to win your league to dance, so he only had 25 games a season. He averaged over 24 ppg each of his last two seasons for a career 22.3. He averaged over 13 rebounds each of his three years including 14.6 as a senior.

Oh boy, some rarified air here. Don Smith (Abdul-Aziz), Jeff Grayer, Marcus Fizer!!! To me 3 of the top 6 to ever play at ISU. One could make an argument that these 3 were the top 3 ever!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron