My plan to save #CFB

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Why would you want to start fball later? Earlier the better imo.. it would be far better to be done in November than January.

1% of population has had Covid...Wait 2-3 months when its 10% and completely out of control.

Here’s my idea to save sports and lives:

starting August 1st entire United States of America’s will commence a MANDATORY 30 day lockdown.
You will have from now until July 31st to stock up on food and rations.
Only services open will be healthcare.
Nobody can leave their home for 30 days and will be arrested immediately unless you are driving to the ER.

Do this and the virus burns out and completely in the US...After the 30 day lockdown no traveling to the US unless you have either had Covid or agree to a mandatory 14 day quarantine upon arrival monitored by the Military...This will last Until a vaccine is available.

End of Pandemic here.

How you stopping people coming across borders in this scenario? Also you better add to the police force by 100 fold to enforce.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
It ain't happening. People are going to have to suffer a bit off the stupid decisions of the last two months.

Isn't in ironic that we treat people like adults and expect them to do the right thing and they don't. Even people who portray or say certain things regarding staying at home for only "essential" activities or mask wearing then do something that goes against what they had been saying or portraying all along. They just can't help but post everything on Facebook.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Plan: use a time machine to go back three months and beat some sense into the weak minded idiots who raged against wearing a mask in public. Then we'd be pretty much fine like every other developed country.

cyfan4

May 21, 2014
Ankeny, Iowa
I don’t understand how starting early to allow for cancellations work. Where do we draw the line on rescheduling versus the players with covid quarantined and not playing that game?
If Justin Fields gets covid before the Michigan game, are they gonna reschedule it? What if it’s all the qbs?

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014
There will be players with COVID. There will be player-to-player transmission during games. Infected players should be isolated from the team.

Start early. Cancel non-conference games. Every-other week is a bye week across all teams. Test players/coaches every week. Have cohorts so you can field 30 players. Use the entire sideline/endzone. Keep your backup QB in bunker.

Edit:
The idea is to find infections before they have a chance to infect the entire team. Hopefully those infected in week 1 are virus free for week 3 (4 weeks later)

Last edited:

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The WHO was awful with their communication on it...it's been airborne as long as it's been around.

There's no way it's been spreading like this just by touch.

That is only your opinion, there is no data to suggest that it was airborne until recently. Put a large group of people in a bar or any crowded room, and they are all touching the same space over a given period of time. You have no clue who was at the bar ordering a drink 10 minutes before you did, you go to order one, and the virus is on the counter, now you get the virus when you put your hands on the counter.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The WHO was awful with their communication on it...it's been airborne as long as it's been around.

There's no way it's been spreading like this just by touch.

Differwnt things I think between “airborne” and able to be spread via droplets/aerosols. It’s probably a technical distinction.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That is only your opinion, there is no data to suggest that it was airborne until recently. Put a large group of people in a bar or any crowded room, and they are all touching the same space over a given period of time. You have no clue who was at the bar ordering a drink 10 minutes before you did, you go to order one, and the virus is on the counter, now you get the virus when you put your hands on the counter.

So just to be clear, you don't think this has been airborne this whole time.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Differwnt things I think between “airborne” and able to be spread via droplets/aerosols. It’s probably a technical distinction.

There are but they were already doing studies several months ago about how sitting in a certain position 'down wind' or ventilation system in a restaurant was higher risk even if people 'up wind' were not sneezing or coughing.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Has anyone asked the players what they want to do?

I imagine they would want to play. I don't see how football brings any more risk of them getting covid vs the rest of their lives. Unless classes cancel/go all on-line and we outlaw parties, shut down bars/restaurants, etc in addition to cancelling football.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
So just to be clear, you don't think this has been airborne this whole time.

I have no clue, the people that are suppose to know, the doctors and scientists, say it has not been airborne until recently, so I will go with what they say.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
Every single person in the country who wants life to return to "normal" as soon as possible should be wearing a mask in public.

Hindsight is 20/20, but if we had done this early and/or were doing this now, this would be a completely different situation. If you haven't worn a mask yet, whatever.....but learn from what is happening in other places and evolve. Wear one now anytime you are around people. Start taking this seriously, for the sake of others and for the sake of our economy.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
There are but they were already doing studies several months ago about how sitting in a certain position 'down wind' or ventilation system in a restaurant was higher risk even if people 'up wind' were not sneezing or coughing.

Right but those things were driving the droplets to stay in the air, the way I see the difference is that someone could just be breathing in a spot, leave that area, you walk through it 10 minutes later and you can get it, that’s what makes it “airborne”. Previously it was thought that those droplets expelled by breathing/coughing/talking/etc would fall to the floor/ground.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
I have no clue, the people that are suppose to know, the doctors and scientists, say it has not been airborne until recently, so I will go with what they say.

Respiratory droplets and airbourne transmission aren't exactly the same thing, from a disease transmission standpoint. Has to do with the size of the particles and how long they can stay in the air.

https://www.who.int/news-room/comme...plications-for-ipc-precaution-recommendations

"Respiratory infections can be transmitted through droplets of different sizes: when the droplet particles are >5-10 μm in diameter they are referred to as respiratory droplets, and when then are <5μm in diameter, they are referred to as droplet nuclei.1 According to current evidence, COVID-19 virus is primarily transmitted between people through respiratory droplets and contact routes.2-7 In an analysis of 75,465 COVID-19 cases in China, airborne transmission was not reported.7

Droplet transmission occurs when a person is in in close contact (within 1 m) with someone who has respiratory symptoms (e.g., coughing or sneezing) and is therefore at risk of having his/her mucosae (mouth and nose) or conjunctiva (eyes) exposed to potentially infective respiratory droplets. Transmission may also occur through fomites in the immediate environment around the infected person.8 Therefore, transmission of the COVID-19 virus can occur by direct contact with infected people and indirect contact with surfaces in the immediate environment or with objects used on the infected person (e.g., stethoscope or thermometer).

Airborne transmission is different from droplet transmission as it refers to the presence of microbes within droplet nuclei, which are generally considered to be particles <5μm in diameter, can remain in the air for long periods of time and be transmitted to others over distances greater than 1 m.

In the context of COVID-19, airborne transmission may be possible in specific circumstances and settings in which procedures or support treatments that generate aerosols are performed; i.e., endotracheal intubation, bronchoscopy, open suctioning, administration of nebulized treatment, manual ventilation before intubation, turning the patient to the prone position, disconnecting the patient from the ventilator, non-invasive positive-pressure ventilation, tracheostomy, and cardiopulmonary resuscitation."

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I imagine they would want to play. I don't see how football brings any more risk of them getting covid vs the rest of their lives. Unless classes cancel/go all on-line and we outlaw parties, shut down bars/restaurants, etc in addition to cancelling football.

You imagine. Look at what @ChrisMWilliams is going through. He’s on 3 1/2 weeks since infection and his respiratory capacity is still terrible per the latest Summer Series podcast. Like he can’t walk to get the garbage can without being short of breath I think was the story.

CW: feel free to correct me if I wasn’t comprehending you correctly on that topic.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You imagine. Look at what @ChrisMWilliams is going through. He’s on 3 1/2 weeks since infection and his respiratory capacity is still terrible per the latest Summer Series podcast. Like he can’t walk to get the garbage can without being short of breath I think was the story.

CW: feel free to correct me if I wasn’t comprehending you correctly on that topic.

I've noticed the last several days my chest discomfort is sort of back and it's been since March that I was presumed had it vs. my positive serology results and that was one of my symptoms.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

I think that is different than being spread through coughs and breathing when you are sitting close to someone, which they have been saying all along is the biggest concern for transmission.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

This is true. Bars are spreading it faster than anything in colleges, and dorms and apartments will too when class is in session. I think the risk of football season is moreso the large gatherings of fans.... I think football will likely end up making the same decision as pro sports and playing without fans, or we have reduced fan attendance plus masks.