Who do we Replace Iowa WIth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
If another game is needed/allowed/smart, I think UNI is likely at the top of the list. A MAC school that lost a game against Big 10 school would be another possibility. The Summer Series podcast referenced SEC could become a partner, which would be interesting.

That being said, I expect all non-cons to be removed from the schedule of all power 5. They'll try playing conference only and if there are some outbreaks in the first couple games, everything will fold up for the year.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I was just gonna quote this for later but COVID related threads have a habit of disappearing because some people can't limit the discussion to just the virus itself so while I don't think either of us have posted anything caveworthy, I'm sure someone else will. So instead I screenshotted it to have for later posting.

414udRp.png

Anyway, to respond though, I think sports are a huge motivating factor. Remember that the NBA shutting down happened and then a day later Hoiberg collapsed while courtside and that more than anything else is why we shut down in March. Conference only games with no fans isn't the worst case scenario. Conference only games with no fans is the best case scenario.

Hoiberg didn't collapse and had the flu. They verified that about 20 minutes after he left the game.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Tell me how it works to protect vulnerable staff.

And you can't say 'They just need to stay home and get a substitute. Their choice.'

That's not how it works.

Also the plan to protect vulnerable coaches.

Same way we protect vulnerable members of our communities in grocery stores, hospitals, and the like.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Tell me how it works to protect vulnerable staff.

And you can't say 'They just need to stay home and get a substitute. Their choice.'

That's not how it works.

Also the plan to protect vulnerable coaches.

Every teacher is vulnerable? Every one we talked to at the kids' school wanted to be back at the end of May. Let's see who is in and who is out before we just try pulling the plug. I would just tell the school sorry but our kids are basically gonna be at home learning nothing because mom and dad have to work to pay bills. I have been going to work through this all and will keep right on going until I do eventually get it and then take the two weeks out. World has to keep moving on. For 0 to 60 with no preexisting conditions the death rate is flu level, nothing more. So yeah if you have a preexisting condition then sit it out.

And I must ask, so you are so concerned you must be getting an annual flu shot right? To protect those other people you come in contact with???????

Reactions: ArgentCy

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Every teacher is vulnerable? Every one we talked to at the kids' school wanted to be back at the end of May. Let's see who is in and who is out before we just try pulling the plug. I would just tell the school sorry but our kids are basically gonna be at home learning nothing because mom and dad have to work to pay bills. I have been going to work through this all and will keep right on going until I do eventually get it and then take the two weeks out. World has to keep moving on. For 0 to 60 with no preexisting conditions the death rate is flu level, nothing more. So yeah if you have a preexisting condition then sit it out.

And I must ask, so you are so concerned you must be getting an annual flu shot right? To protect those other people you come in contact with???????

Every day, sometimes multiple times a day, I have to check my calendar and make sure it’s not March.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Every teacher is vulnerable? Every one we talked to at the kids' school wanted to be back at the end of May.

just because teachers want to be back doesn't mean they want to be back before it is safe-and that includes what is safe for the community as a whole. We all want things to be back to normal. But they aren't. And wont be until we get serious about knocking this down.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
just because teachers want to be back doesn't mean they want to be back before it is safe-and that includes what is safe for the community as a whole. We all want things to be back to normal. But they aren't. And wont be until we get serious about knocking this down.

Masks and social distancing work, right?????

And you have gone to no restaurants and bars since March, is this correct? Essential activities only.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

And you have gone to no restaurants and bars since March, is this correct? Essential activities only.
Masks help, but it may not be enough with community spread as high as it is already. Nothing exists in a vacuum. Unfortunately we do have to consider the fact that spending several hours in relative close quarters indoors is a high spread activity.

And actually no I have not gone out to eat at all or to bars. I've grabbed take out a few times, but I have mostly shifted to making a lot more food at home than I used to. But nice attempt to make some sort of ad hominem hypocrisy argument.

Reactions: Joe4Cy

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

I haven’t been inside a restaurant or bar. I haven’t even gone inside a grocery store and I may never do so again because online order and pickup is slick as hell.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Yes, I do get a flu shot. For that exact same reason. Most people I am around do for the same reason. Giving a **** about others' isn't that difficult...is it?

All indications are I had Covid at some point this spring and yep, still taking precautions with sanitizer, wiping things down, mask in a store, etc.

What do you do for those people that 'sit it out'? Are they that disposable to you?

And did I say every teacher? I can think of several people that I work with that would fit into the vulnerable category. I've seen nothing so far for the protocol to help protect them outside of 'just have kids sit at least 6 feet apart' by the people that don't dare step foot into a public school to begin with. PPE is at a shortage in several hospitals right now--we think there's going to be enough for schools? Was there ever any sort of pre-emptive action taken on any level of officials to prepare for this, with everything that went down in the spring?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Every day, sometimes multiple times a day, I have to check my calendar and make sure it’s not March.

This past week I've seen car collisions, flu, AIDS (wtf!?) thrown out there.

We are literally back where we started.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
I'd bet the Big 12 goes conference only as well. Really sucks...
Yeah, I see that the Pac & ACC are expected to announce conference only soon. If so, I can see the only holdout being the SEC. But not for long.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Masks help, but it may not be enough with community spread as high as it is already. Nothing exists in a vacuum. Unfortunately we do have to consider the fact that spending several hours in relative close quarters indoors is a high spread activity.

And actually no I have not gone out to eat at all or to bars. I've grabbed take out a few times, but I have mostly shifted to making a lot more food at home than I used to. But nice attempt to make some sort of ad hominem hypocrisy argument.

I haven't been to a restaurant or bar either, my wife is cutting my hair, I honestly don't see why any of this is hard. Although I'm going to be getting some BBQ take out from the new place owned by DeAndre Jackson and Brent Curvey this weekend, they do take out just on the weekends I think.

https://www.weareiowa.com/article/s...rant/524-20a283f3-5c51-4b6d-8622-7b6b522756d0

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Thats one thing that doesn’t come through very well in our circle here. The vast vast majority don’t give a flying **** about sports in general. Wittle that down even further to college sports and there’s even less, take that down another notch to one specific college sport and the outrage and outcry when they cancel the season won’t be nearly as big as people think.

The real issue coming up is K-12 school in the fall. Absolute minefield.

We finish our walk through the minefield tomorrow with graduation of our youngest. I'm really glad we finished. The last four months really has been a minefield!!

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
What do you mean replace Iowa with? I’d be shocked if all P5 conferences don’t make the same move.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I haven’t read this thread so it might have been covered. Say we do play non-con, that means we beat Iowa by forfeit right? And get an extra bye week.

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
FWIW, a different angle - I think Texas will have big influence on what the Big 12 does.
Until the SEC shuts down in some part, Texas isn't going to want to led TAM play football while they sit and watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.