SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Me RN IRL --

Panic!!!

tenor.gif

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I don't think anyone will "bail" these athletic departments out. What will happen in the worst case scenarios is that the bond holders won't get paid. Many of the not so bad bonds will may just renegotiate but it's the bond holders who should be really nervous. Well, that and the employees of course.

jl112481

Jul 25, 2007
Franklin, WI
While listening to this podcast I thought of an idea that I can't decide if it is a good idea or not. This is in regards to the $50,000,000 deficit and how ISU could raise that amount of money if a Football season did not happen this fall. To explain my thinking I'll start with a couple quick math problems.

1. $50MM divided by 50K (typical number of season ticket holders) = $1000/holder
2. 5% of $1000 is $50.

My thought is that ISU asks fans to donate $1000 to be "paid back" over a period of time, let's say 3 years. In return the $1000 will go to credit their season tickets at the end of those 3 years. In the meantime fans that donate will receive a "bonus" equal to approx. 5% or $50. For instance, free priority parking for two or three seasons. In reality this would equal a value of more like $100-$150, but you get the point. Parking seems like something the athletic department can give away that doesn't really have a cost, other than the amount lost by fans not paying for it.

It seems easy, but this is why I feel like it may not work or there is something that I'm missing. Hopefully in three years there will be TV revenue to offset the season ticket sales that they would "lose" due to all the credits.

Thoughts? I would be interested to hear others' opinions.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
While listening to this podcast I thought of an idea that I can't decide if it is a good idea or not. This is in regards to the $50,000,000 deficit and how ISU could raise that amount of money if a Football season did not happen this fall. To explain my thinking I'll start with a couple quick math problems.

1. $50MM divided by 50K (typical number of season ticket holders) = $1000/holder
2. 5% of $1000 is $50.

My thought is that ISU asks fans to donate $1000 to be "paid back" over a period of time, let's say 3 years. In return the $1000 will go to credit their season tickets at the end of those 3 years. In the meantime fans that donate will receive a "bonus" equal to approx. 5% or $50. For instance, free priority parking for two or three seasons. In reality this would equal a value of more like $100-$150, but you get the point. Parking seems like something the athletic department can give away that doesn't really have a cost, other than the amount lost by fans not paying for it.

It seems easy, but this is why I feel like it may not work or there is something that I'm missing. Hopefully in three years there will be TV revenue to offset the season ticket sales that they would "lose" due to all the credits.

I’m not sure about this specific plan but I definitely agree there should be some creative fundraising initiatives activated. Tack on a free t shirt to anything and people will bite.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I’m not sure about this specific plan but I definitely agree there should be some creative fundraising initiatives activated. Tack on a free t shirt to anything and people will bite.

What do season tix cost?

Surely if people were willing to pay for them, they're comfortable enough financially to chip in to a cause...you'd think.

CycloneVet917

Jul 9, 2020
We will have a football season, it may be broken up, or in the spring. There is too much $ lost by not playing. The Power 5 teams will do anything in their power to find a way to play.

jl112481

Jul 25, 2007
Franklin, WI
ISU has already filled 30K season tix for 2020. I just don’t know how much money that amounts to. One issue with what I posted is that families would pay $1000 per seat, which is a lot more that the price of most tickets/donations.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
ISU has already filled 30K season tix for 2020. I just don’t know how much money that amounts to. One issue with what I posted is that families would pay $1000 per seat, which is a lot more that the price of most tickets/donations.

Are you talking donations per person that would be attending games (looks like it) or the general fanbase overall?

What is an estimate of how many ISU fans or alumni total that are spread throughout the country or world that could contribute between $50-500 or more by their choice?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

2. 5% of $1000 is $50.

Asking people to donate 1,000 dollars right now when a lot of people are unsure about the economy isn't easy. That's incredibly difficult.

sfisher

Nov 11, 2009
Ankeny
The Big 10 went to a Conference season only due to "serve their best interest", as Blum mentioned. Yes, part of this could be due to protecting their teams and try to control pandemic events within the conference but I believe the biggest is to eliminate unnecessary expenses due to loss of ticket sales and tightened budgets. I wonder what the easiest budget cuts would be...maybe, DON't PAY random MAC/Non-Power 5 teams to come play at your house, i.e. Iowa paying 1 million to buy a win.
Ultimately, I fear for the loss of most non-power 5 athletics. I think the total number of D-1 FB teams in 2-3 years will drop to around 100 (from ~128 currently and complete guess). Stanford already used this pandemic to cut 11 programs, granted non-profit generating. Football's and the corresponding Title IX scholarships will be way too large to support with the projected cutting of non-conference games/current events.

ISUMojoMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 2, 2010
The very sad thought I had while listening to this podcast was there is a very real scenario where Brock Purdy never plays another snap for us. Such a sad situation. I don’t think that will happen and if we miss football for a year we will come back strong. The other thought is the money is so big they will find a way to play.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
We will have a football season, it may be broken up, or in the spring. There is too much $ lost by not playing. The Power 5 teams will do anything in their power to find a way to play.
I was in this boat until recently. What happens if the season moves forward and kids start getting sick? What happens if some of them die or have permanent damage? The lawsuits could very well outweigh lost money from NOT playing. I think, at best, we see a conference only spring. That's assuming Americans change their behaviors.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The very sad thought I had while listening to this podcast was there is a very real scenario where Brock Purdy never plays another snap for us. Such a sad situation. I don’t think that will happen and if we miss football for a year we will come back strong. The other thought is the money is so big they will find a way to play.

I really don't think Brock will be gone after this season if there aren't any games.

I think he still had quite a bit to prove this year to the scouts. At times he's shown he has the game, but has also shown too much inconsistency IMO.

But who knows? I've seen some really strange draft picks every year, so you never know.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I was in this boat until recently. What happens if the season moves forward and kids start getting sick? What happens if some of them die or have permanent damage? The lawsuits could very well outweigh lost money from NOT playing. I think, at best, we see a conference only spring. That's assuming Americans change their behaviors.

I appreciate you having faith in that at this point, haha.

You have to have a conscience to change a behavior.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I heard someone say.... "Sports are the rewards for functioning societies".

I thought that was so true, and brilliant. And it explains why there will be no college, or HS football this fall at all I'm afraid.

The U.S. right now is FAR from a "functioning society".

Reactions: 3GenClone

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I've little faith at this point. It's not a good feeling.

We need to start a white feather society like in England during WW1. Pretty ladies would go around pinning white feathers on men that weren’t volunteering or they thought were sidestepping the draft. But in this iteration people that aren’t wearing masks get black flower or something.