Joey Peterson Commits to the Cyclones

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Jun 16, 2020
www.isucyclonesports.com
Joey Peterson has committed to Iowa State. The class of 2021 wide defensive end is ranked by 247 Sports as the 22nd ranked player in Iowa. The in state prospect, who is brothers with Iowa State star DE Zach Peterson, was offered on an unofficial visit to Ames on November 16, 2019. 247 Sports only rates Peterson as a 2 star and does not fall within the top 1500 players in the country for his class, but we all know the success Campbell and staff has with lower rated recruits. More on Peterson:https://www.isucyclonesports.com/blog/joey-peterson-commits-to-the-cyclones

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Strange that his brother has proven himself, someone said he is supposed to be better than brother, however not ranked high in our own state

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
I’ll be honest, this is the first recruit of this class that I feel is a big yikes. I personally don’t like this take. I’d heard they had SIGNIFICANTLY cooled on him and his offer wasn’t really on the table anymore. Taking him means we aren’t getting JayDen Gray or Townley. I really wanted townley

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I’ll be honest, this is the first recruit of this class that I feel is a big yikes. I personally don’t like this take. I’d heard they had SIGNIFICANTLY cooled on him and his offer wasn’t really on the table anymore. Taking him means we aren’t getting JayDen Gray or Townley. I really wanted townley

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Free advice: If you want to be taken seriously as a blogger/reporter/whatever you're trying to be here, spell the kid's name correctly at least one time.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

We don't know that it's a full immediate offer. It could very well be a greyshirt that has a chance to turn into a regular offer if someone doesn't make grades or backs out late. The thing about Zach Peterson...he had a long time greyshirt offer. Then he grew a couple of inches and put on 30 lbs over his last year of HS. All of a sudden, he had a bunch of P5 offers and ISU was forced to offer him a regular scholarship. I don't think that Joey has Zach's frame and I doubt it happens, but if he shoots up like Zach did, we have a major player, because I'd take 10 Zach Petersons on the team.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I like this get. We already know his pedigree and his frame is definitely not something I would question. I wouldn't be surprised to see him bulk up a bit and fill out his frame like his brother did.

North Scott (Petersen's team) played Clear Creek-Amana (Boller's team) last year. Petersen played some LT during the game against Bollers and held his own. He doesn't have great technique as a OL (who cares?), but his strength and tenacity matched with Bollers.

We aren't getting a polished, finished product with him; We are getting raw material. We'll mold him. If he's a take for the staff, he's a take for me.

Reactions: chadly82 and CTTB78

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I like this get. We already know his pedigree and his frame is definitely not something I would question. I wouldn't be surprised to see him bulk up a bit and fill out his frame like his brother did.

North Scott (Petersen's team) played Clear Creek-Amana (Boller's team) last year. Petersen played some LT during the game against Bollers and held his own. He doesn't have great technique as a OL (who cares?), but his strength and tenacity matched with Bollers.

We aren't getting a polished, finished product with him; We are getting raw material. We'll mold him. If he's a take for the staff, he's a take for me.

Don’t you like every get though? ;)