NO FANS AT CYCLONE GAMES?

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
John Hopkins data is based on Iowa data and is the metric outlets like CNN use to determine which states are in decline and which states are increasing. Obviously they are using a bit different time scales.
Iowa is increasing in cases, hospitalizations and ICU patients.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
The saddest part of the whole sports discussion is very few people think about the players, coaches, cheerleaders, etc and only about what they personally feel they have a right to watch.

You don’t have a right to insist others put their lives or their families in jeopardy just so you can watch entertainment.

I would pay a lot to watch football on tv this fall, but I’m going to respect the decisions of those that don’t participate (in the remote chance there is a season) and hope everybody else does too.

I expect there are a lot of livelihoods dependent on sports happening and many that would give or risk everything to partake, but those that don’t should be supported too.

Nobody is forcing them to play. The "student athletes" are one thing but I gaurantee you 99.9% of coaches want no part of not playing this year.

If NO college sports happen all year. Oh my. You have no idea the permanent damage done not just to athletics but the entire university system. And seeing what they have become, that may be for the best.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
An overwhelmed healthcare system has little time to ponder different approaches and try different things. One that is smoothly operating well below capacity does.

They've already had 4 months. If they haven't figured it out by now they aren't ever going to change.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
If there is no college football this fall, nothing below the P5 will exist other than your wealthier D3s.

Using UNI as an example, there's $650k (FBS guarantee) that's already probably gone. If you lose ticket revenue from football, that's another $2M+. Say the economy and lack of benefits cost you (conservatively) 50% of your donation pool, there's another $900k.

That's $3.55M of a $14.5M budget (24.5%) and we haven't even gotten into the reduced NCAA payouts because of losing the NCAA Tournament last spring, the loss of sponsorship dollars and the cost of still having to provide testing to athletes even if they aren't playing games with other schools.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
If there is no college football this fall, nothing below the P5 will exist other than your wealthier D3s.

Using UNI as an example, there's $650k (FBS guarantee) that's already probably gone. If you lose ticket revenue from football, that's another $2M+. Say the economy and lack of benefits cost you (conservatively) 50% of your donation pool, there's another $900k.

That's $3.55M of a $14.5M budget (24.5%) and we haven't even gotten into the reduced NCAA payouts because of losing the NCAA Tournament last spring, the loss of sponsorship dollars and the cost of still having to provide testing to athletes even if they aren't playing games with other schools.

Last year, UNI's entire football revenue projection was $1.3 million. Its athletics department carried an overall budget of $14.5 million last year but nearly 46 percent of it ($6.6 million) came from student fees or general funds. Cut some coaching salaries and they'll be fine.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I'm no expert but don't we want those numbers to go in the other direction?

The good news is it's just 15 guys from China and it'll be down to 0 soon. It will magically disappear and it'll be beautiful. I swear, I heard it directly from the President so it has to be true.

Reactions: Macloney

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
upload_2020-7-9_12-40-18.png

A bit rudimentary but it shows how different Texas is right now. I might but this together for some other conferences.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Last year, UNI's entire football revenue projection was $1.3 million. Its athletics department carried an overall budget of $14.5 million last year but nearly 46 percent of it ($6.6 million) came from student fees or general funds. Cut some coaching salaries and they'll be fine.

I understand there will be impacts for all schools if there is no football, but I don't think it's the end of college athletics as we know it.

Unfortunately, there will be some that lose jobs, some programs or ancillary sports may get cut, and there will be impacts felt for several years. That is almost without question and unavoidable. Each school will feel it differently both in overall impact and when that impact hits and lasts to.

BUT, most FBS schools can absorb a lot of it with reduced capital expenditures over the next decade (I think long overdue anyways) and a universal reduction in the crazy salaries and budgets. They may even be forced to remember they are there secondarily to support an education.... WHAT? That last part will never happen.

Longer term, the net result could be more responsible Athletic Departments in general and more sustainable programs of every size - spending more within their means rather than putting everything on the line each year financially. And this is coming from a Democrat:)

The whole sports industry is so financially bloated top to bottom that it's insane. From TV contracts to AD budgets, it's as out of hand as NFL/MLB/NBA salaries. While the short-term will be painful, the long-term may be better with a reset.

This is a lot like the Airline industry that was decimated, bailed out, came back stronger than ever but spent all their profits over the past few years on stock buybacks and are now in dire straits again. At some point, they either need to learn to budget and contingency plan or they need new leaders that can.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Who pays the debt service for these Athletic Departments? Taxpayers? What about private schools?

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
An overwhelmed healthcare system has little time to ponder different approaches and try different things. One that is smoothly operating well below capacity does.
I honestly have no idea what this has to do with the topic.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Perhaps over the longer term... It's not easy to change "best practices"... They need to ditch the vents but that is unlikely to change.

Yet we still haven’t figured out if convalescent plasma therapy is effective.

Medical care for very ill COVID-19 patients is getting better

Potential therapies being tested, experts said, fall into four major categories that are best used at different times:

• Antivirals that slow or block the virus’s expansion in the body will be most effective early in infection, before the virus is fully established.
  • Convalescent plasma and antibodies that provide immune weapons to attack the virus once it’s established could help control infections and avoid the need for hospitalization.
  • Immune system modulators, most that tamp down an overreacting immune system, will be particularly useful later in the course of disease, when the immune response rather than the virus drives the patient’s condition.
  • Anti-coagulants that stop or slow blood clots that can cause organ damage or stroke are likely to be most useful in patients having a serious reaction to the virus.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ilizumab-other-drugs-being-tested/5383726002/

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Does CycloneFanatic survive in its current state and staff with no cyclone sports for the 2020/2021 season?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I honestly have no idea what this has to do with the topic.
I was responding to this post of yours:
Are you saying given the same amount of time, less observed cases would lead to faster and more effective therapeutic treatments? That's an interesting take.

Seeing fewer cases with time spend more time on each would more likely result in brain storming and trying experimental therapies over seeing more cases but being overwhelmed just trying to keep up with them.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron