Campustown Redevelopment

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Yeah, the stretch between Duff and Grand is not the city's best look.

Lincoln Way from Duff to Grand has never had a very good look. Clearing some of these old buildings gives me hope that the nice new project will actually be built.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY and Pat

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Lincoln Way from Duff to Grand has never had a very good look. Clearing some of these old buildings gives me hope that the nice new project will actually be built.
A zillion old posts with signs, crappy buildings, crappy gas stations.
Yep

cyclone87

Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Fire Station No. 2, located at 132 Welch Ave. in the heart of Campustown, potentially could move about a mile southwest to the corner of State Avenue and Arbor Street.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.amestrib.com/news/20200123/community-open-house-addresses-questions-about-potential-new-fire-station?template=ampart

This would be great, that was never a good location for a fire station with all the ped traffic and drunk kids on the weekends. The new potential location could free that space up for something unique and would be a much better location for the station. Also, would make it easier to develop a plaza/pedestrain space either on Welch or Chamberlin

Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx
Fire Station No. 2, located at 132 Welch Ave. in the heart of Campustown, potentially could move about a mile southwest to the corner of State Avenue and Arbor Street.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.amestrib.com/news/20200123/community-open-house-addresses-questions-about-potential-new-fire-station?template=ampart

Anybody have any updates on the possible Campustown fire station re-locating?

Also, any updates on the Campus town Lincoln Way buildings that got torn down? Last I heard the Randall idea got shot down and the empty lots where sitting there. Anything new or planned?

Thanks.

Cypow

Apr 27, 2020
Anybody have any updates on the possible Campustown fire station re-locating?

Also, any updates on the Campus town Lincoln Way buildings that got torn down? Last I heard the Randall idea got shot down and the empty lots where sitting there. Anything new or planned?

Thanks.

Hopefully soon. It sounds like talks on a "Campustown Plaza" will continue once the fire station moves.

https://www.amestrib.com/news/20190...r-campustown-plaza-design-and-parking-options

I'm also curious if there's been any more talk on the Kum & Go moving across the street (and replacing the building(s) south of Ben's new sports bar) and taking on a more urban design. Kum & Go really is a blight on Campustown but it's obvious that that's prime real estate for them. Hopefully they can adapt to something that adds to the neighborhood rather than detracts from it.

As far as the Randall plots, did I hear that someone else bought the land?

Reactions: Jammin’

Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx
Thanks for the updates. Sounds like they’re still looking for a solid place / plan for a Fire Station relocation site.

The possible idea of closing Chamberlain to vehicles seems interesting.

I forgot how much prime land Kum&Go owns around Welch. They’ve been talking about doing something since like 2010 it seems. Sort of unfortunate for such prime land/lots that close to Camustown/Campus to not be optimized in some capacity.

Cypow

Apr 27, 2020
Doing a quick search of the company at that address it seems they own some Brothers Bar and Grill locations. If so hopefully Covid doesn’t screw that up for them.
Hopefully they build something 3-5 storeys, similar the original Randall plan. It would be a shame to see a single storey restaurant not utilizing the plot to its full extent.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Hopefully they build something 3-5 storeys, similar the original Randall plan. It would be a shame to see a single storey restaurant not utilizing the plot to its full extent.

There’s not a ton of easily available info, but it seems like the owners have a “hospitality group” (restaurants), and also own some apartments in Ames. I’d guess they’re going for retail on the first floor with residential above.

Reactions: Cypow

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Speaking of car wash ^^^ anyone been to Varsity car wash next to the west Ames McDs? Just went for the first time and I highly recommend it. I didn’t even know it existed until I drove past it today.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Speaking of car wash ^^^ anyone been to Varsity car wash next to the west Ames McDs? Just went for the first time and I highly recommend it. I didn’t even know it existed until I drove past it today.

Speaking of the new car wash, I know it says free vacuums on the side. Do you have to get a wash to use them or free without a wash?

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Speaking of the new car wash, I know it says free vacuums on the side. Do you have to get a wash to use them or free without a wash?
I think they’re free to all. I didn’t vacuum because I had too much crap inside but I plan on going back.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Since this thread has become a bit of a catch-all for development in Ames...

The former Carlos O'Kelly's/Other Place building (631 Lincoln Way) has a new tenant.

Reactions: Acylum and Cytown12

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Since this thread has become a bit of a catch-all for development in Ames...

The former Carlos O'Kelly's/Other Place building (631 Lincoln Way) has a new tenant.

Hopefully they make it. Otherwise I'll assume that place is jinxed.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Good luck to them, but that building is just in a terrible location, off the roadway and behind other structures.

Not the best location, but if you know it's there it's not that hard to get to. Ultimately if they have good food and service people will go no matter what.

• Agree
Reactions: Cytown12