ESPN Radio Shakeup

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I used to hate Lebatard but then it just clicked one day and it's one of the only shows I listen to along with Dan Patrick. I used to listen to them every day but not so much after all the sports have gone away. Haven't watched much ESPN either.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Except for the last two years his show has been about 15 minutes of hot takes and 2:45 talking about Dak Prescott and the Cowboys. Never in my life has a national show spent so much time talking about a pretty good QB on a mediocre team in a terrible division.

I mean, they're pretty desperate for content to fill 3 hours with no sports for months. That part is clear.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Except for the last two years his show has been about 15 minutes of hot takes and 2:45 talking about Dak Prescott and the Cowboys. Never in my life has a national show spent so much time talking about a pretty good QB on a mediocre team in a terrible division.

Are you talking about Cowherd or Will Cain?

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Give me sports talk radio without being hammered with political takes from either side of the aisle and I’ll be willing to give it a listen.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Give me sports talk radio without being hammered with political takes from either side of the aisle and I’ll be willing to give it a listen.
I'm not sure that exists anymore. Like it or not, politics and sports are intertwined. "Stick to sports" isn't really realistic. Football is literally a "political football." In this day and age, to cover sports is to cover the political nature of sports. If you don't, you're not telling the whole story. And that cat doesn't easily go back into the bag.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I'm not sure that exists anymore. Like it or not, politics and sports are intertwined. "Stick to sports" isn't really realistic. Football is literally a "political football." In this day and age, to cover sports is to cover the political nature of sports. If you don't, you're not telling the whole story. And that cat doesn't easily go back into the bag.
Which is why it’s failing.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Are you talking about Cowherd or Will Cain?
Cowherd. Granted it could’ve been bad luck. I would only catch a few bits while in the car a few times a week but I swear he was talking about Dak 90% of the time.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Which is why it’s failing.
I wasn't just talking about ESPN. I was talking about sports media in general. Go watch ESPN's competitors. You'll find the same thing. Fox sports radio? They're talking about politics. NBC sports? Mike Freeman loves to talk about politics. CBS sports is the same way.

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I enjoyed listening to Mark “Stink” Schlereth and Joel Klatt when they were in the radio in Denver. Joel’s college football analysis and overall sports knowledge were great. Stink was good for telling it how it was.

Sports radio is simply going extinct.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
I guess I don’t like sports radio because it’s all reactive, Monday morning quarterback stuff. Nothing new, no interesting stories, and all the hosts are guys who never played a sport and are the type of people I hate talking to at a bar or poker table.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I wasn't just talking about ESPN. I was talking about sports media in general. Go watch ESPN's competitors. You'll find the same thing. Fox sports radio? They're talking about politics. NBC sports? Mike Freeman loves to talk about politics. CBS sports is the same way.
It's like you're making my point for me.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It's like you're making my point for me.
I guess? You say you don't like sports talk radio without politics. I point out that they're intertwined pretty much everywhere. Is your point that you don't like sports talk radio?

One other note. Sports talk radio isn't failing, btw. Espn's radio programing, for example saw 8% increased ratings last year. It might not be your cup of tea, but clearly people are listening.
http://www.insideradio.com/free/fal...cle_7c48c680-35d2-11ea-bfed-5b4042c82a5d.html

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I guess? You say you don't like sports talk radio without politics.
I'm saying the exact opposite actually. I want sports talk radio to be a respite from all the political talk that dominates so much of our "connected" lives otherwise. I understand you feel that's not possible- that doesn't mean I have to like it.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I enjoyed listening to Mark “Stink” Schlereth and Joel Klatt when they were in the radio in Denver. Joel’s college football analysis and overall sports knowledge were great. Stink was good for telling it how it was.

Sports radio is simply going extinct.
Schlereth was solid but I couldn’t handle how often he unnecessarily said “football.”

He’s an instinctive football player that has a nose for the football and makes plays all over the football field. He will make your football team better and win you some football games.

Reactions: CascadeClone

WoodCy

Feb 28, 2014
Atkins, IA
It is funny how we all have different tastes in shows. I listen to sports shows all day. Before 9am I do whatever, podcast, music, sometimes nothing at all. At 9am I listen to Pat McAfee on YouTube. At Noon I listen to McAfee and Hawk on YouTube. When they are done I go to the Iheartradio app and listen to what's left of Colin Cowherd and then I role into Murph and Andy. After Murph and Andy I then close out the work day by listening to CW and Ross Peterson or a podcast like Joe Rogan, Kifarucast, or a college baseball recruiting podcast, the name of which I cannot think of. If it is baseball season, all of the afternoon programs gets scratched for the Cubs on the TuneIn app.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Radio is basically dead if you're under 40. Why would you listen to the crappy radio playlists so you can hear Nickelback three times in an hour with ads? Get Google play and unlimited data and welcome to freedom.

Next you'll tell me cable TV and my landline phone are obsolete.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I wonder if this is all virus related or they are still feeling the sting from their politicization of sports...

Hard to say, but their most politicalized show (Lebotard) has the highest ratings.

To me, this just seems like more cost cutting attempts as their revenue streams are drying up on the TV sode and the cost of sports contracts are increasing. With Wingo and Golic Sr's contracts coming up, dropping them saves a lot of money.

NewClone09

Jan 7, 2009
Ames, IA
Aside from live events, I haven’t watched/listened to ESPN forever. The only recommendations I would have is to drop Will Cain completely and find a way to get more Jalen Rose, that guy is awesome.

Personally, I’m good with KXNO as far as radio goes and for the national/big market in general, I’m sure many will disagree, I’m an Undisputed with Skip and Shannon guy. Sharpe is hilarious and I know people hate Bayless but they work well together. I couldn’t handle Skip back in the ESPN days with Stephen A. My only complaint is the amount of coverage Dak/Cowboys gets but I guess that’s just about everywhere.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron