• Yes but Moved to Part Time

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • I never stopped working during COVID

Votes: 196 74.0%

• Total voters

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Been working as usual except when I got the flu 2 weeks ago and got tested. That was a minimum 10 days away. Tested neg so I started back up on Monday.

That flu bug has been making the rounds and hitting people hard. Wonder how many people have had it and assumed it was Covid without getting tested?

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Have been WFH since 3/12 with no impacts to productivity. Sounds like I won't be going back for another 6 months and even then there will likely be relaxed policies on being in the office.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Permanently retired before Covid-19 existed.

Lucky you. My parents and in laws are all retired, and each of them all say that really the only big changes for them have been wearing a mask for errands/grocery runs and not going out for dinner anymore. Other than that it's mostly just been business as usual.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Lucky you. My parents and in laws are all retired, and each of them all say that really the only big changes for them have been wearing a mask for errands/grocery runs and not going out for dinner anymore. Other than that it's mostly just been business as usual.

I bet that 2-4pm window at Wendy’s has been depressing for their books.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I have been working remotely (when I can) since late March. I have been in to my actual office 3-4 times total since I started working remotely and in addition I have to go in to the job site about once every week or two. I haven't missed any work but expect to be furloughed one day a week starting in August through the end of the year due to COVID havoc on our budget. I fully expect the furlough to extend into next year, but don't know what the frequency will be.

Mrs. Velo was laid off late March and I don't know if she will ever be called back.

I guess I should feel lucky to still have a job.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I guess I should feel lucky to still have a job.

Good perspective. I have a few coworkers who had complained bitterly when our company announced a temporary freeze on salary raises. I can understand their frustration and I'm not thrilled about it either, but given what's happening in other industries and fields we should be grateful to have avoided layoffs or furloughs.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Good perspective. I have a few coworkers who had complained bitterly when our company announced a temporary freeze on salary raises. I can understand their frustration and I'm not thrilled about it either, but given what's happening in other industries and fields we should be grateful to have avoided layoffs or furloughs.
The worst part about one day a week furloughs is that it drops you from 40 hours of compensation to 32 hours of compensation a week. That is the threshhold for qualifying for unemployment. They carefully crafted it so that there would be no unemployment liability (or compensation).

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I've been working from home full time since the middle of March. It sounds like we will be work from home until February (for the most part).

I have a few friends and family that have had to take pay cuts over the last few months. But one of them is back to full time right now.

My dad works in a factory and he has been furloughed for 3 months. But he's old and retirement age, so the furlough was actually probably a good thing since he is high risk due to his age (71). He's scheduled to go back in August sometime, I think.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Worked from home 100% through may. Have been about 50% since. Had employees on WFH for what ever they can do from home and have a rotation to give people windows to go in and do what they have to. Keeps traffic to a few people at a time when it normally would be 25-30. Will maintain some regular WFH for those that want it moving forward.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Been working from the office this whole time mostly because my role I can't do 100% from home. I could do some things from home if I wanted but almost every day I am receiving IT hardware shipments or having to setup or help out someone still in the office. I have my own room I work out of so I've always been pretty socially distanced before this.

Right now they keep moving the goal posts on when they will allow more people back into the office and with the way things currently are trending I don't see it happening any time soon since we have offices all over the country so they make a company wide decision on these things. They people they do have in the office right now are spaced every other desk/cubicle so if they go that route when they start bringing people back at some point it will only be 50% capacity or less for awhile.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I was lucky. I actually took a new job recently. It's 100% remote until at least November, and will be reexamined after that. Even when we go back, there's talk of it being on a flexible basis. Onboarding from home has been a little different, and it's harder to get to know co-workers, but it's not impossible.
My previous job was about 50% remote, so it's been better for me from a distancing standpoint.

I was surprised that companies were hiring, but some places are doing very well in spite of the pandemic.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Basically the whole business went remote when it hit.

The very rich Boomer who makes these kinds of decisions even speculated on an "all-hands" call about if we should walk away from office space when the leases are up. It's expensive, and we're not proving to really need it after the past few months.

I would not want to have much for holdings in commercial real estate right now.
the smart strategy is to downsize the building and just have a place to hand out equipment on the first day and remote everyday after. Saves money for the company.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Still employed but workload increased dramatically. Taking on new clients and markets while continuing to work for all the previous ones for whenever they come back online.

Work increase doesn't mean profit increase as I'm sure others here are seeing.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
That flu bug has been making the rounds and hitting people hard. Wonder how many people have had it and assumed it was Covid without getting tested?

It kicked my butt, after day 3 the wife made me get tested. Came back Neg, and I had a stomach bug.

egunzy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 16, 2008
Humeston, IA
Essential public safety worker here, 911 dispatcher. Been going in like normal throughout all off this. Sidenote - the calls from the Covid Karens have been dropping off. During shut down it was ridiculous.

Last edited:

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Been working from home for 4 months. Supposed to go back in next week, but they're being fairly flexible about that

We are WFH for at least the rest of 2020. Also an optional program if you want to request permanent WFH. Most new hires going forward will be WFH.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
Poll really needs a 'for now' option because we're busy right now on stuff booked pre-COVID but there's nothing new coming in and the current work starts drying up quick starting in Q4, plus the PPP money goes away soon as well. But I've been 95% work from home other than a couple weeks of furlough in May. Management has told us WFH will continue at least to the end of the year. I think long term working from home half time would be great but I feel like the importance of being face to face in meetings and being able to chat with people in hallways or at the water cooler is becoming more and more apparent (same reason I don't think Zoom is going to replace a lot of business travel post COVID, there's value in being there)

Im going to have to figure out the tax benefits I can get from being required to have my own home office.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Been working from home since March, had to furlough and eliminate roles on my team in the past few weeks, likely to see more by year end. The reverberation of COVID-19 will snap hard for many I’m afraid.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron