NO FANS AT CYCLONE GAMES?

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
So one university is going to use 1.5 million tests on just students (that's not counting faculty and staff) during this school year? If this becomes wide spread, where are all of these tests coming from?

I guess so. Maybe the school is making them themselves? I am not sure where they are getting them.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
I believe Iowa State is literally making them. At the Vet Med.

Hope we can source locally within the state. I am guessing public schools might need some or local areas near schools so kids can be easily tested.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
As of latest CDC data there have been 39M tests administered in the US since the start of the pandemic. 39M tests would barely get the Power 5 conferences to winter break if they weekly tested just students - no faculty, no staff. That wouldn't include any mid-majors, low-majors, FCS, Div II, Div III, NAIA, etc.

Oh yeah, there are also all those people who don't go to school or work at a college to think about.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Ivy League doesn’t impact P5 directly, but it’s one step in a path that will lead to no sports. It starts to give cover to others to start making announcements.

Regardless of if you think there SHOULD be sports this fall, I highly doubt there WILL be sports this fall, winter, or spring.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It isn't fear, it just isn't realistic that testing every student every week is going to be possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
The President of Purdue was on CNBC this morning. Said every single student will have to be tested before being allowed on campus and then I believe he stated everyone must be tested once per week. This was for all students.
seems impractical

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
The saddest part of the whole sports discussion is very few people think about the players, coaches, cheerleaders, etc and only about what they personally feel they have a right to watch.

You don’t have a right to insist others put their lives or their families in jeopardy just so you can watch entertainment.

I would pay a lot to watch football on tv this fall, but I’m going to respect the decisions of those that don’t participate (in the remote chance there is a season) and hope everybody else does too.

I expect there are a lot of livelihoods dependent on sports happening and many that would give or risk everything to partake, but those that don’t should be supported too.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
The saddest part of the whole sports discussion is very few people think about the players, coaches, cheerleaders, etc and only about what they personally feel they have a right to watch.

You don’t have a right to insist others put their lives or their families in jeopardy just so you can watch entertainment.

I would pay a lot to watch football on tv this fall, but I’m going to respect the decisions of those that don’t participate (in the remote chance there is a season) and hope everybody else does too.

I expect there are a lot of livelihoods dependent on sports happening and many that would give or risk everything to partake, but those that don’t should be supported too.

All I can say is it has to be voluntary. And thinking back to being 19 or 20, I'd be all in for playing. I'd play every day if I could when I was that young. I loved playing the sport. I was immortal at age 19 or 20. At least my brain told me that and I would have surely signed on to go.

College life is distant now, but dang it was demanding and fun.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I wouldn’t be surprised if UNI ends up canceling this season. Black Hawk county has the 3rd most cases in the state and that’s without students on campus. I’m sure they’re doing their best to make sure that the Iowa game happens so they can get the payout.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

giphy.gif

Reactions: BoxsterCy

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

I liken it to Iowa week my senior year. 9/11/2001 hit Tuesday morning by the time we reported to practice that afternoon all the upcoming weekends games had been canceled. I was extremely disappointed that my senior year game against Iowa in Jack Trice may be cancelled. To say I was heart broken would be a massive understatement. Luckily we were able to reschedule it and it ended up being my last game in Jack Trice, a win and on Sr. day (honestly it couldn't have been any better).

My point is I feel bad for the athletes who may have to miss out on their final season of whatever sport. Like me, many of them won't go on to play after college and to not get one final go round is heart breaking when you think of all the years they put into their respective sports (for example I started organized football in 5th grade and also ran track in order to help me with my football aspirations).

I really hope things get manageable, not so I can watch sports, but because those athletes have worked to hard to miss out on one final go round playing the sport they love and dedicated so much time too.

I know it's not the same but it is the only thing in recent memory I can compare it to, so I think it is similar but very different at the same time.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I really hope things get manageable, not so I can watch sports, but because those athletes have worked to hard to miss out on one final go round playing the sport they love and dedicated so much time too.

Ive felt this way about a lot of the kids who got their graduations cancelled. In high school, that and the graduation parties are the ending of many years, and often the last time you see a lot of those people. And for them, all of a sudden it was just over. And then in college, its probably a bit less of a big deal, but still an accomplishment, especially those coming from families where they may be the first college graduate or something.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Even if that's the case, the time gained gives the medical community more time to develop better treatments which can save lives.
Are you saying given the same amount of time, less observed cases would lead to faster and more effective therapeutic treatments? That's an interesting take.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron