NO FANS AT CYCLONE GAMES?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The President of Purdue was on CNBC this morning. Said every single student will have to be tested before being allowed on campus and then I believe he stated everyone must be tested once per week. This was for all students.

Having a push for something like this may go a long ways to being able to maybe function.

This is part of the 'We want to open schools, and this is how we can possibly do it' instead of 'You must open your schools!!' that we're seeing currently.

https://www.cuimc.columbia.edu/news/one-two-three-spit-covid-19-test-born-columbia-fertility-clinic

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
There won't be any college basketball games this year either most likely.

People might as well wake up to the facts of this thing. Just hoping and being optimistic about it isn't going to change anything.... news alert..... the virus doesn't care if you like sports or not?

And it also doesn't know where one state ends and another begins either by the way.

This is the part that's kinda crazy for people that just want football to happen no matter what.

'Yeah but Iowa's numbers!' doesn't work on a national level.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Why it's really fun to get on a high horse and chastise all of the commoners

Not "the commoners", whatever that means, just the dumbasses that have dismissed this since the beginning, tried to push us to follow ideas that have (predictably) showed failure, and refused to comply with the simplest things such as masks.

the reality is that (1) K-12 children will be in school in some form soon

If we are lucky

and (2) a portion of the nation will be playing college football this fall.
doubtful at this point

The US clearly has adopted the Swedish approach.

Which is, quite possibly, the dumbest approach

All the economic damage everyone else got, but lots more deaths.

You're going to have to deal with it because that die has been cast.

In the short run, we are locked in to some consequences, but there is still plenty we can do to make things better over the medium and long run. The only thing that will lock in consequences over the long run will be people who adopt the 'you just need to deal with it' mantra now

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
"“Sweden’s light-touch lockdown has been the subject of much debate and its effectiveness in terms of tackling the spread of the virus is unlikely to become clear for many months, if not years,” Shearing said. “But, so far at least, it does seem that its economy has suffered less as a result.”

Sweden's peak to trough was 8%. UK was 25%:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ds-out-as-crisis-reveals-striking-differences

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
leaving Spain, Italy and the UK out was an oversight, right?

Or they simply compared it to most-like nations, the ones next door, along with the country in which the article was written

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Or they simply compared it to most-like nations, the ones next door, along with the country in which the article was written

Gotcha. Significantly smaller, less dense counties.

Regardless of the merits we are moving forward with our approach. Hopefully US numbers continue to plateau and we can settle in on our new normal.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
"“Sweden’s light-touch lockdown has been the subject of much debate and its effectiveness in terms of tackling the spread of the virus is unlikely to become clear for many months, if not years,” Shearing said. “But, so far at least, it does seem that its economy has suffered less as a result.”

Sweden's peak to trough was 8%. UK was 25%:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ds-out-as-crisis-reveals-striking-differences

Sweden didn’t impose a lockdown, but its economy is just as bad as its neighbors

On the health front, Sweden has paid a heavy price. According to Johns Hopkins University data, Sweden has suffered 50.7 deaths per 100,000 people. That isn’t the worst in the world — Belgium and the U.K. are higher, for example — but far above the 10.4 deaths per 100,000 in Denmark, the 5.9 deaths in Finland and 4.7 deaths in Norway.

But there is also an economic question. Did Sweden benefit economically from avoiding the lockdown?

The economic data doesn’t suggest that.
Dhaval Joshi, chief European investment strategist at BCA Research, pitted Sweden against Denmark, noting they speak near-identical languages and share a broadly similar culture and demographic, yet Denmark imposed one of the most aggressive lockdowns globally.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/s...st-as-bad-as-its-neighbors-who-did-2020-06-25

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
The funny thing about science and statistics is that it is’t a simple it solves everything or nothing... there can be a meaningful and scientifically proven 50-60% decrease in the likelihood of catching/spreading COVID with a simple mask. That can make a difference in millions of infections over a year’s time.

Oh yeah, so you want to prove a 50% decrease. It won't make a big difference over time. This is contagious enough that most are going to get the thing. At best you just offer a delay.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
There won't be any college basketball games this year either most likely.

People might as well wake up to the facts of this thing. Just hoping and being optimistic about it isn't going to change anything.... news alert..... the virus doesn't care if you like sports or not?

And it also doesn't know where one state ends and another begins either by the way.

It absolutely does. Perhaps not the virus but the people's response and dictates as to what they want to do Absolutely start or stop and these arbitrary political borders.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Gotcha. Significantly smaller, less dense counties.

Regardless of the merits we are moving forward with our approach. Hopefully US numbers continue to plateau and we can settle in on our new normal.

1- The numbers aren't plateauing, they are growing
2- Even if they were, no, you can't just accept a plateau at levels as high as they are. That is insanity. We need to get this down to levels that we can live with, like most other developed countries. This 'we need to live with it' insanity you're parroting is more of the same garbage that got us where we are right now in the first place.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
It's also incredibly easy to wear a mask in indoor public spaces. I mean, like wearing a hat easy.
I just don't get how everyone is not fully onboard with masks at this point. So easy and fairly effective at stopping the spread. I wear one on days I go into the office for 8 hours. Even that isn't that bad. There are so many styles. For quick trips into stores I will wear the behind the ears. Those hurt my ears if I wear them for a long time so when I go to the office I have a couple that go around the back of my head a little harder to get on than the ear ones but I barely notice it during the day.

Reactions: isutrevman

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It's also incredibly easy to wear a mask in indoor public spaces. I mean, like wearing a hat easy.

Yeah but wearing one might mean caring about other people outside of yourself and that's really inconvenient.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Why it's really fun to get on a high horse and chastise all of the commoners or to be a general anarchist, the reality is that (1) K-12 children will be in school in some form soon and (2) a portion of the nation will be playing college football this fall.

The US clearly has adopted the Swedish approach. While it may not minimize spread of Covid-19, it provides a bit more leeway in how we live day to day. You're going to have to deal with it because that die has been cast.

And whoever agrees with this post above must not give a s**t about all the frontline workers that are already being overwhelmed in the hospitals.