ESPN Radio Shakeup

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/mike-greenberg-returns-to-radio-dan-le-batard-golic-and-wingo.html

So it sounds like there's another complete shakeup in the ESPN radio lineup. I can't see this going well for ESPN.

Hopefully there's more podcasts to make up for the lack of good content on the actual air.

Yeah Mike and Mike was decent but when they split up and tried to force chemistry among other people it just didn't work.

Podcasts are the way to go anymore.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
Do people listen to ESPN radio?

Seriously though, the whole sports radio era has been over for years and loud obnoxious hosts like Mike Golic Jr and Stephen A. Smith aren’t going to bring it back.

Reactions: aauummm

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I hate sports talk shock radio guys like Colin Cowhert. IT seems they come up with dumb opinions just to rile everyone up. I don't get it at all.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

Seriously though, the whole sports radio era has been over for years and loud obnoxious hosts like Mike Golic Jr and Stephen A. Smith aren’t going to bring it back.

See, I guess I preferred the whole loud and obnoxious hosts. I can't stand Greenberg and company that refuse to take a risk and say something that may make someone uncomfortable.

Reactions: Halincandenza

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Who listens to live radio in 2020? Podcasts are 10000x better with the ability to choose the content you are hearing and fast forward through commercial slots
Radio is basically dead if you're under 40. Why would you listen to the crappy radio playlists so you can hear Nickelback three times in an hour with ads? Get Google play and unlimited data and welcome to freedom.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Who listens to live radio in 2020? Podcasts are 10000x better with the ability to choose the content you are hearing and fast forward through commercial slots

But many of ESPNs podcasts are recordings of their radio shows or at least feature hosts of radio shows. If the radio lineup is garbage, their podcasts are going to be as well.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Mike Greenberg makes $6.5 million per year? That's about $6 million more than what he's worth.

• Winner
Reactions: Neptune78

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
See, I guess I preferred the whole loud and obnoxious hosts. I can't stand Greenberg and company that refuse to take a risk and say something that may make someone uncomfortable.
They both suck.
End thread.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Clay Travis is getting rich off of the demise of ESPN radio shows the past couple years.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I thought that they'd take Le Batard off the air completely, but at least they didn't do that. Sports are a luxury of a functioning society, though, and we don't have that right now...

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Yeah, Greenberg annoys me. I can't listen to him.

I like guys who will put themselves out there with an opinion like Cowherd. I don't always agree with him but Cowherd will also admit when he was wrong on something.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
I hate sports talk shock radio guys like Colin Cowhert. IT seems they come up with dumb opinions just to rile everyone up. I don't get it at all.

Cowherd is different than most as he actually admits to playing "defense attorney" for Fox Sports. He says all the time he is paid to take a position and spew hot takes for 3 hours a day; I respect his honesty.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Collin can be tolerable in small chunks, at best.

DP is the only person I would listen to on live radio. Even there, he gets old.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

I don’t think this is quite accurate. Yes, I do think the generic national “let’s spend all our time talking about only the teams and topics we think are important” talk shows - the epitome of ESPN and Fox Sports - is dying. Local shows, on the other hand, especially in major markets, are doing fine, especially during drive times. I think people get tired of listening to national media talking most of the time about the Patriots or the Yankees or the Lakers, and those that do want to listen to them all the time would rather listen to local guys more knowledgeable about the teams talk about them as well. I know I’d rather listen to Detroit guys talking Detroit sports rather than ESPN, who most of the time don’t know what they’re talking about.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron