No Iowa State Fair this year

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yes I am serious

mPxq1u9.jpg

3fHazHC.jpg
Chocolate chips, mini chocolate chips and chocolate chunks all in the same chocolate cookie? No wonder you won.

JusHappy2BeHere

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, TX
Texas too.... Texas State Fair cancelled for the first time since WWII

but they are still planning on having 30 kids in a classroom with a 60 year old teacher 5 days a week.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Texas too.... Texas State Fair cancelled for the first time since WWII

but they are still planning on having 30 kids in a classroom with a 60 year old teacher 5 days a week.

Yeah at this point a mainly outdoor event like a State Fair seems much less risky than schools.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Yeah at this point a mainly outdoor event like a State Fair seems much less risky than schools.
I am not a state fair regular, but my math suggests a mean weight of 322 and consumption of 1.3 packs of heaters per day among state fair attendees. So I’d say it would be a high risk event.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Have you been to a state fair?

Yes.

There's still a risk and I'm not going to go to a huge crowd inside or out.

But so far as far as I know the lockdown protests, BLM protests, and huge gatherings like over Memorial Day in the Ozarks didn't have huge spikes associated with them, while indoor activities like bars, restaurants, packed workplaces, etc. have.

I'd think an indoor classroom with 20-30 germ magnets/spreaders is very high risk for an older teacher compared to an outdoor event. And really when I was at the Iowa State Fair it was very hot, and staying a good distance from people/crowds was pretty natural and easy.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I am not a state fair regular, but my math suggests a mean weight of 322 and consumption of 1.3 packs of heaters per day among state fair attendees. So I’d say it would be a high risk event.

Well yeah...I didn't get the feeling there was a lot of care for one's own health to begin with with a lot of folks.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Yes.

There's still a risk and I'm not going to go to a huge crowd inside or out.

But so far as far as I know the lockdown protests, BLM protests, and huge gatherings like over Memorial Day in the Ozarks didn't have huge spikes associated with them, while indoor activities like bars, restaurants, packed workplaces, etc. have.

I'd think an indoor classroom with 20-30 germ magnets/spreaders is very high risk for an older teacher compared to an outdoor event. And really when I was at the Iowa State Fair it was very hot, and staying a good distance from people/crowds was pretty natural and easy.

Our neighbor behind us was a nuclear engineer for many many years. He is pretty convinced that much like radiation, the amount of contagion, as well as time spent in an environment with contagion is playing a factor in how seriously ill a person gets from COVID (among other factors). Schools seem like a Rona Chernobyl.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Our neighbor behind us was a nuclear engineer for many many years. He is pretty convinced that much like radiation, the amount of contagion, as well as time spent in an environment with contagion is playing a factor in how seriously ill a person gets from COVID (among other factors). Schools seem like a Rona Chernobyl.

zwqiqN1.gif

Reactions: Doc

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

And I'm not saying a State Fair should happen. They likely shoudn't. It's just interesting that schools are opening as normal while events that allow for more movement and are outside are cut out.

JusHappy2BeHere

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, TX
Have you been to a state fair?

There are few places better for gems than a school. It's like a petri dish. Every kid looks most, drippy, germy, snotty... pretty much every Dwarf that didn't make the cut for Snow White...

Close 30 off them in a classroom for an hour with one old fart teaching them, and then repeat with new kids 4 more times, 5 days a week, 36 weeks a year.

Add to all that, any exposure mandates a 14 day Quarantine, and teachers only get 10 sick days a year.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
There are few places better for gems than a school. It's like a petri dish. Every kid looks most, drippy, germy, snotty... pretty much every Dwarf that didn't make the cut for Snow White...

Close 30 off them in a classroom for an hour with one old fart teaching them, and then repeat with new kids 4 more times, 5 days a week, 36 weeks a year.

Add to all that, any exposure mandates a 14 day Quarantine, and teachers only get 10 sick days a year.

My wife is a teacher and says they're working on adjusting this for Covid. Obviously they can't expect you to teach part or full time in a classroom and only give you 10 days. That would seem like Russian Roulette to me.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
And I'm not saying a State Fair should happen. They likely shoudn't. It's just interesting that schools are opening as normal while events that allow for more movement and are outside are cut out.

It’s a total economic play which is terrible.

JusHappy2BeHere

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, TX
My wife is a teacher and says they're working on adjusting this for Covid. Obviously they can't expect you to teach part or full time in a classroom and only give you 10 days. That would seem like Russian Roulette to me.
my problem is that I've not heard anyone even address it. Not NEA, TEA, Federal, State, County, or School District....

Katy Turr at 4:40pm Central Time today was the first TV person or Politician I have heard even mention that it's more than kids in schools.... there are teacher's who are at much greater risk....

also, Teachers are not "Essential Employees" so no Hazard Pay.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Schools are planning to open, but they may not actually open. Things are not looking as good as most of us hoped they would a few months ago.

I think it is smart to plan for multiple contingencies.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
my problem is that I've not heard anyone even address it. Not NEA, TEA, Federal, State, County, or School District....

Katy Turr at 4:40pm Central Time today was the first TV person or Politician I have heard even mention that it's more than kids in schools.... there are teacher's who are at much greater risk....

Teachers should strike if they aren't offered hazard pay.

cycub51

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2009
Somewhere Iowa
Schools not opening or having in person is going to be horrible for racial/socioeconomic disparity. I think it was in 10,000 hours by Malcolm gladwell where he talked about how every summer the gap between rich/poor and white/minority grew. He’s an advocate of year round school which makes sense if you want a more even playing field. I think there needs to be every effort to open as usual. It may not work but it needs to be plan #1.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kv...lans/269-62e3e5eb-4968-4f9b-97e9-aa5271a451be

Lengthy article, but plans are in place from TEA.

*Masks required in buildings, PPE provided

*Parents have option to choose remote or in-person learning

*Teacher training provided

On Monday, Austin ISD superintendent Dr. Paul Cruz said families have a choice of taking classes 100% online or 100% in-school, but teachers said it doesn't seem like they have a choice.

"We can't talk about student safety unless you're talking about educators' safety," said Noel Candelaria, the Texas State Teachers Association president. "Teachers and educators right now are just fearful of all the unknowns at this moment."

Last edited: