MLB: MLB to Start Back Up on July 1?

20eyes

May 15, 2020
I can’t imagine this goes well
Just one man's opinion but I can see this experiment getting shut down after about two weeks if there are enough covid cases among players, and there certainly will be cases. It's just a question of how many is the threshold for the players to say, "Nah, we'll wait till March 2021..."

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Just one man's opinion but I can see this experiment getting shut down after about two weeks if there are enough covid cases among players, and there certainly will be cases. It's just a question of how many is the threshold for the players to say, "Nah, we'll wait till March 2021..."

It's going to be a joke of a season. Schedules are luck of the draw for regional play and unbalanced as heck with some teams in weak divisions and some in stronger ones. A couple injuries that you'd weather over 162 will kill you over 60 games. Bad luck on Covid positives and you have stars out for crucial series or playoffs or your entire lineup. Luck on injuries is always a factor but this mini-season it's going to be even more so.

Saw this in NY Time this morning:
"After 60 games last season, the Washington Nationals were 27-33 — two games worse at that point than the Pittsburgh Pirates. The Nationals surged up the standings and won the World Series."

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Will the teams that overplay the loud music between every pitch to build false drama still do that in a stadium devoid of fans? It was something I started to take note of more the last couple of years as I watched more games via MLB. Some teams still had a more reserved traditional approach and others were blasting music between every pitch during late inning critical situations. It was a little annoying.

Reactions: matclone

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
It's going to be a joke of a season. Schedules are luck of the draw for regional play and unbalanced as heck with some teams in weak divisions and some in stronger ones. A couple injuries that you'd weather over 162 will kill you over 60 games. Bad luck on Covid positives and you have stars out for crucial series or playoffs or your entire lineup. Luck on injuries is always a factor but this mini-season it's going to be even more so.

Saw this in NY Time this morning:
"After 60 games last season, the Washington Nationals were 27-33 — two games worse at that point than the Pittsburgh Pirates. The Nationals surged up the standings and won the World Series."

Just saw this on Reddit. Even though it's slightly misleading because with fewer games, of course the better teams will have less of a chance to separate, giving the bad teams an increased chance of a run. I still thought it was interesting.

h91fwlmgiv651.png

CloneJD

May 14, 2020

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Well, ****. Guessing the Yankee injury curse will be alive and well in this abbreviated joke of a season. :(

Better video. Damn. I imagine Stanton was just sick about as he had his jaw broken after getting hit in head by a fastball a few years back.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Channel flipped into FS1's broadcast of the Dave Righetti’s 1983 Fourth of July No-Hitter. Best response ever to getting snubbed for the All-Star game.

Fun seeing all of those names, some I had forgotten. Totally forgot that Bert Campaneris played for the Yanks.

Lot's of Twins connections with Roy Smalley, Butch Wynegar, Don Baylor and Dave Winfield all suited up for the Yankees and Billy Martin managing. Two ex-Twins, two future Twins and one ex-manager.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
David Price and Felix Hernandez opting out is interesting. Would be a bigger story if this was four years ago when they were both aces or top of the rotation guys.

How much money is Price opting out of?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Wow. I guess Price doesn't need the $1 million for each game he would have pitched in.

Actually he probably doesn't. He's made $120M over the last four years. Remainder of contract after this year will pay in him another $64M.

Not sure how the reduced salary would have worked between Dodgers/Boston this year but Boston is still on the hook for half his salary each year under the yuge contract they signed him for.

Last edited:

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Sorry if this has been addressed nut I don't want to read through previous posts.

I see the Yankees are being replaced with the Cardinals to play the White Sox at the Field of Dreams on August 13th. Seems to me like they should try everything in their power to post pone this game to next season. Especially if there will be no fans allowed. No fans at this game would be a huge bummer.