Black bear living near the Quad Cities

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I thought most grain barges had covers on them. Not sure how the bear would a) get onboard except via gangway, b) get inside the hopper without anybody seeing them, and c) get back out of the hopper?

If true, how would you like to be the deckhand that discovered that stowaway? Making rounds at night checking lashings and nav lights and see this big 250 lb shape with glowing eyes staring back out at you? While out in the middle of the open water?

I've had a few encounters including one that came up a trail toward me when backpacking roughly 2 miles from my car and with no one else around. It ran off when I yelled at it but if it were in a different mood...that's a pretty helpless feeling.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
She looks more like a grizzly (shape of head, slight hump on neck). They're much more aggressive.
Black bears are more reclusive, but you still don't want to bug the mamas with babies.

Or just put any of them in a place where they're feeling threatened. Not much different than we see with dogs or cats or raccoons or whatever but their abilities vs. those other animals are reason for lessening risk.

Issue is as we keep getting closer or enticing them to come around (leaving garbage around or exposed) we only heighten the risk of it becoming dangerous, and they're the ones who get taken out.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Or just put any of them in a place where they're feeling threatened. Not much different than we see with dogs or cats or raccoons or whatever but their abilities vs. those other animals are reason for lessening risk.

Issue is as we keep getting closer or enticing them to come around (leaving garbage around or exposed) we only heighten the risk of it becoming dangerous, and they're the ones who get taken out.
Exactly.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I've seen some of your posts regarding cats and it takes me back to my childhood when I'd attempt to befriend kittens on my farm.

Many times, they weren't having it, and it was terrifying, haha.
We live on three acres of woods...all kinds of critters. I love watching them and photographing them - the baby coons are absolutely adorable. But I have a VERY healthy respect for the fact that they are WILD, and I want them to stay that way.

I'm a supporter of Appalachian Bear Rescue in Tennessee. If you have Facebook, look them up. They are chartered to care for orphaned cubs & yearlings...and they are very careful about educating people on how to live in bear country. They post pictures and videos of the cubs (there are 10 right now, plus one yearling), and the writeups for the daily posts are extremely entertaining.
From my back deck:
1040167_10201599698333593_265721503_o.jpg

1008346_10201567989660896_640016404_o.jpg

Reactions: madguy30

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
****ing humans. Although I suppose tranquilizing him is better than having to put him down if someone agitated him and it went wrong.

Maybe he really was from Missouri...I had guessed Minny.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
****ing humans. Although I suppose tranquilizing him is better than having to put him down if someone agitated him and it went wrong.

I don't know though- if I'm ever seen wandering around Missouri I'd hope someone would tranquilize me and get me the hell out of there too.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
It was not put down but the DNR did tranquilize it last night to relocate back up north. They didn't state whether it would be WI or MN but it was out of state. They stated 3 to 3-1/2 hours away.
As I have noted before the most dangerous wild animal is the freaking killer deer. Get rid of (relocate all) those som-bit-chies.