Bolton on why he left Penn State

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I'm not assuming anything - just naturally would listen to those who know Bolton personally (like ex-teammates). Unlike any of us...

You’re listening to Bolton’s ex teammates story of the situation instead of Bolton’s story himself?... Got it.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
A slip of the tongue or a stain on his soul?
Rasir wasn't calling for Coach Chambers to be fired. He was simply giving his account of the situation. You can call it whatever you want, but it was a harmful thing to say.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Good lord Rasir's post is absolutely exploding.. over 6,000 retweets and 20,000 likes.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I would say Lamar Stevens knows Rasir Bolton a lot better than any of us message board posters...
As does Tyrese Haliburton, who supported Bolton on twitter today.

Both things can be true: Stevens had a good experience with their coaches, and Bolton did not. Bolton didn't call for him to be fired, he's just pointing out his experiences as a young player. I'm positive there are others out there at schools all over the country that have experienced the same or worse that have not spoken up yet.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
As does Tyrese Haliburton, who supported Bolton on twitter today.

Both things can be true: Stevens had a good experience with their coaches, and Bolton did not. Bolton didn't call for him to be fired, he's just pointing out his experiences as a young player. I'm positive there are others out there at schools all over the country that have experienced the same or worse that have not spoken up yet.

And Bolton should be allowed to discuss why he left. He obviously knew there would probably be problems in telling the truth and that is why he didn't last spring. I'm glad he's speaking out now.

PantherCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2017
Just read a long article on the Undefeated about Rasir, Chambers and coaching culture, looks like PSU was aware that Rasir was going to tell his story and trying to get some of his side out right away.

"Later in the conversation, I informed him, probably for the first time, that he insulted the Bolton family by saying Ray and Chalonda were “organized” and “well-spoken.”

“I don’t recall that,” Chambers said. “I’ve been in this world almost my entire life. I’ve been playing basketball since I was in second, third grade. I’ve grown up in this world.”

He stopped talking. There was silence.
Yet here we were, I said, talking about a noose and insults to Black parents. “How could you, of all people, be in this position?”

I was trying to get Chambers to explain how he could grow up in “this world” and still make this mistake. To reflect on how he could be entrusted with so many young Black lives, but had never taken the time to learn what nooses mean to Black America. I wanted him to think about how he could say he loves us — which I believe he truly means — and still disrespect us.

It didn’t work. “Again, the word I chose is unfortunate,” Chambers said."
https://theundefeated.com/features/...sketball-coach-points-to-larger-ncaa-problem/

Another thing that hits me is that he still didn't seem to acknowledge that what he said is terribly inappropriate, but rather how his words made someone feel. In this article, he says, “I didn’t realize that word would hurt him, and I am truly, truly sorry for that.”

HIS ACTIONS are what need apologized for, NOT ONLY the way it made someone feel.

When I tell my wife, "I am sorry you feel that way," we all know it is not a real apology...

Last edited:

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I would say Lamar Stevens knows Rasir Bolton a lot better than any of us message board posters...

I would say none of us message board posters know Lamar Stevens.

Rasir transferred for a reason. He wanted to share the reason he transferred given the current social climate. I think he handled it very professionally. I’m sure Lamar does not know all the details of Rasir experience.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
It's been referenced in other posts in this thread and in some of the articles that have been written, but what this boils down to for me is how Bolton had to see a psychologist to teach him how to deal with the coach's personality and the coach had to do none of that. What a complete sham. Even if you take the coach at his word and he didn't know the connotation of the word he used prior to saying it to Bolton, it was up to the player to conform? The coach doesn't get any instruction on it? That's so backwards.
Sending Rasir to a psychologist to be able to learn "how to deal with the coach is nothing but (1) a flavor of victim blaming and (2) white male privilege. I agree - how PSU handed this was just terrible. What was PSU thinking? Wanting Rasir to tolerate the coach's racially insensitive remarks?

Rasir showed a helluva lot of courage to confront the coach.

The coach clearly has some issues. First he uses "noose" then compliments Rasir and his mom for being "organized and well-spoken." What did he'd think they'd be when the came to see him?

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Rasir brings down a program by asserting racism.

Meanwhile at eiu,..........racism is being worked on.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Rasir brings down a program by asserting racism.

Meanwhile at eiu,..........racism is being worked on.

[QUOTE="CloneGuy8, post: 7370149, member: 37437"

[/QUOTE]

Asserting makes it sound like he wasn’t telling the truth.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron