Bolton on why he left Penn State

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
But PSU players are already disputing Bolton's assertion that Chambers did not apologize promptly...

Again, this is premised on the idea that everyone had the same experience. Stevens felt the apologize sufficed, that's great for him. But Rasir had a different experience, which apparently included the phony psychiatrist, having his coach turn his teammates against him, etc.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
But PSU players are already disputing Bolton's assertion that Chambers did not apologize promptly...
That little tid bit doesn't necessarily hurt nor help either party's case in this. Something racially insensitive was said, and Bolton spoke out about it today.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

it couldn’t be that the players don’t want to piss off their coach since they saw what happened with Bolton, could it?

maybe, just maybe we could believe what Bolton says. Why wouldn’t we?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Hard to say he came out "quickly" as we are more than a year removed from the incident.

Simply put, he doesn't feel bad. You know he doesn't. He got caught and the school is making him manufacture an apology. Sounds like Penn State Basketball and Iowa Football have the same PR crisis response team.
Oh yes for sure he only came out quickly today because he was called out. I was saying that Chambers never denied it and quickly apologized today. I was using that as evidence to show that the instance did in fact happen. Chambers would've 100% denied it if it happened some other way imo.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
That little tid bit doesn't necessarily hurt nor help either party's case in this. Something racially insensitive was said, and Bolton spoke out about it today.

Well, Jamari Wheeler is basically saying Bolton is lying about not getting an apology...

EcQzsfyWkAcJMh-

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Well, Jamari Wheeler is basically saying Bolton is lying about not getting an apology...

EcQzsfyWkAcJMh-
Lying that he apologized, not that the comment about the noose ever happened, which is literally all that matters. Also, maybe Rasir was never apologized to individually, rather Chambers did it with the whole team which felt like a slight to Rasir? I don't know that, you don't know that, but what we do know is that Chambers is an a** of a coach who has been suspended for shoving his own player, and now is not even denying he used a racially insensitive analogy towards a former player. I'm not really going to get too riled up about whether he apologized right away or not.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

EcQzsfyWkAcJMh-

its very weird that you don’t believe Bolton. Do you have a reason to assume he’s lying?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Another Chris Doyle type. Blows my mind some of these coaches are "mentors" to young men who are predominately black, yet take zero interest in learning about their lives and the unique challenges they face as minorities, and instead have no problem saying extremely racially insensitive things like this.

Let's be honest here - many, many coaches are addicted to competition and winning and don't give a crap about anything else.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Reviewing both sides of a story is not victim blaming
Trying to diminish Rasir's account by saying "Actually Chambers apologized for saying the racist comment" is the problem here.

jmclone

Aug 29, 2017
Trying to diminish Rasir's account by saying "Actually Chambers apologized for saying the racist comment" is the problem here.

Not sure if you're referring to some folks a whole, but I'm not defending the apology. It was clearly a reaction to the situation to cover his ass. Maybe some folks, myself included, just want to see what other players' experiences are with this coach.

Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Not sure if you're referring to some folks a whole, but I'm not defending the apology. It was clearly a reaction to the situation to cover his ass. Maybe some folks, myself included, just want to see what other players' experiences are with this coach.
Yeah I respect that. I've been following a lot of these player's statements and they all have backed Pat. They also all have said that the incident did happen but there was an apology to the team. Since this was said directly to Rasir, I think we can all assume he might've reacted differently to both the apology as well as the incident as a whole.

Reactions: jmclone

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
its very weird that you don’t believe Bolton. Do you have a reason to assume he’s lying?

It's his MO. He always does this.

We don't know the context of the apology either. Was it a "sorry I said something that bothered you" in a way that relayed that he really didn't think he did anything wrong? Did he say "Sorry you feel this way, why don't you go see a psychologist to figure out how to deal with me"? Because those are both non-apology apologies. Again, we don't know the whole story here.

Ra is our guy and I'm going to support him. Period, end of story, and while there might have been a breakdown in communication here, the responsibility to close that breakdown lies with the multi-million dollar paid head coach and adult in the room, not the college freshman.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm not assuming anything - just naturally would listen to those who know Bolton personally (like ex-teammates). Unlike any of us...

This is so dumb. No one here is claiming to know what happened. But Bolton himself has told us what happened, and it would appear others acknowledge it happening. So frankly, I don't give a **** what his teammates remember because it's completely irrelevant to how Rasir felt about the situation.

If the story was "Chambers racist towards entire Penn State basketball team" then you'd be on to it. But the story is about his behavior towards Rasir, and only Rasir knows what was said and how it made him feel.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Johnny Orr could not be a coach at ISU if we were alive today based on the things he said. Should his statue remain?
What does a Johnny Orr statue have to do with Penn State’s current coach?