NFL: 2020 NFL Off-season Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Will be very interested to see the financial details
take this 100% with a "haha bs" approach but...

saw it could be linked to percentage of salary cap rather than a dollar amount.

So say he gets 22% of the salary cap every year for the next 10-12 years.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
take this 100% with a haha bs approach but...

saw it could be linked to percentage of salary cap rather than a dollar amount.

So say he gets 22% of the salary cap every year for the next 10-12 years.
If he gets his contract linked to the salary cap then consider me shocked and impressed. It would be almost impossible to overstate how big of a development that would be for the league.

On the other side, if this is a four year extension with 6 non guaranteed years at the end, then it will be pretty ho-hum. NFL contracts are all about the details.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
If he gets his contract linked to the salary cap then consider me shocked and impressed. It would be almost impossible to overstate how big of a development that would be for the league.

On the other side, if this is a four year extension with 6 non guaranteed years at the end, then it will be pretty ho-hum. NFL contracts are all about the details.
I listened to a podcast that said percentage based contracts could be the way of the future. Protects the players for future cap space rises, like the one the NFL should get in a couple years with a new TV deal.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I listened to a podcast that said percentage based contracts could be the way of the future. Protects the players for future cap space rises, like the one the NFL should get in a couple years with a new TV deal.
Absolutely agree. Someone is going to do it, one of these days, and once it happens, it's going to change a lot of things.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
This has to make a guy like Dak Prescott very happy. The numbers are going to be gigantic, and while Dak shouldn't command the same salary, I guarantee it's going to increase his asking price.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Somewhere out there mitchell trubisky is weeping
He's not weeping. He's good. number two pick money then get on that Chase Daniel career path. He'll be fine.

Teams that passed on Mahomes (and Watson) should be weeping. Bengals took JOHN ROSS while Mahomes and Watson were available.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
At least we won't be hearing about Kirk Cousins salary anymore.
Good for Mahomes.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
So looking at the contact itself, this is a pretty team friendly deal. There's only 63 million guaranteed. His yearly salary doesn't get north of $30 million until the 2023 season. The signing bonus is only $10 million.
In 2023 his salary goes up to 40 million, which isn't going to be crazy by then. Before then his cap number is going to be 10 million in 2020, 22 million in 2021 and 29 million in 2022. That's a steal for a player of his caliber at his position.

Reactions: 2020cy

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
So looking at the contact itself, this is a pretty team friendly deal. There's only 63 million guaranteed. His yearly salary doesn't get north of $30 million until the 2023 season. The signing bonus is only $10 million.
In 2023 his salary goes up to 40 million, which isn't going to be crazy by then. Before then his cap number is going to be 10 million in 2020, 22 million in 2021 and 29 million in 2022. That's a steal for a player of his caliber at his position.

As a KC fan anything is worth it to lock him up for his career. I spent a lifetime watching bad to mediocre QB’s and talking myself into Elvis Grbac. QB has never been more important than it is right now. Spend all the money on OLine and receivers and try to score 50 per game. I’m good with it.

Reactions: cyfanatic