Bolton on why he left Penn State

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cycub51

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2009
Somewhere Iowa
I wonder if he reached out in person or just the statement. If it’s just a statement then it counts for nothing and is just a PR stunt.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Many out there will come out with the 'yeah well coaches used to say this type of stuff all of the time back in my day' schtick, like it was OK ever.

My daddy whupped me and I'm just fine.... *drinks 12th Busch Light of the day*

I would hope that if we had a coach doing this we would all drive to his/her home and help them pack.

(Assuming the allegations are true)

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I will never understand being a coach and working with young kids, being around other races of kids, especially African Americans and not being sensitive to racial issues. It blows my mind.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Chambers is a dickasaurus rex.

He is only doing this because he got caught and doesn't want to get fired.

But he is apologizing -- heartfelt or not.

* * *​

By the way, we are really lucky to have Rasir. Not only is he a great player about to flower into a star (and I hope he has the chance to do that and take over the leadership of the team from Tyrese this year), but that letter was some "I will" level eloquence.
And yet, the TOE football coach can't even do that. And he is dealing with 50+ speaking out...not one like the case here.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
This is something I've thought about recently and really appreciate about Prohm and Campbell. There seems to be a notion that coaches can give "tough love". Since it falls under the ambit of "coaching", it's acceptable to act in ways that would not be acceptable in an other adult setting. If you tried doing that to your employees, you'd be fired. But because it's "coaching", and hell we are trying to teach these kids some life lessons!

Maybe a good place to start in teaching life lessons is how to effectively communicate with other adults without losing your mind.

You beat me to it...was going to share the same. Still LOTS of folks that fall into the "when I was in high school....." and "it made me tougher" and fail to realize that things can and should change. There are reasons why "running someone till they puke" is not a good idea, etc.

I've also heard recently folks defend these types of comments "can't you take a joke" or stuff like that and don't realize that you shouldn't joke about this.

Somewhat related, but that story of the young man in Charles City that "fans" shouted racially insensitive comments.....I literally saw folks in comments sections saying "show me the video evidence" (even after both schools and witnesses said it happened). We (all sides of issues) always want to justify our beliefs or find ways to not believe those counter "what happened before the video" etc.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I don't love Chambers apology but its better than we've seen from some. He at least acknowledges that he did something and needs to improve. Probably a lot of lip service but I respect that more than doubling down, denying and attacking Rasir. Stevens's post is intriguing, makes it seem like its something the team had addressed in the past it'll be interesting how this all unfolds.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Well, the "thugs" comment is just part of systemic racism, not like that will stop anytime soon especially on anonymous boards. Hell, the stuff people post publicly on FB is even worse since it's not moderated. Surprised at some of the stuff people will post under there real names. Some FB groups at least police themselves as FB won't. Saw a bunch of posts last month deleted by admins of my local city civics page.

I've also been thinking if this will be the year both national and local sports commentators will get burnt when they make comments about teams "whiteness" or receivers that are white...meaning, it seems that those things are perpetuated a lot ins subtle ways...same with things like "they come from a good family" coded language or the implied belief that black students may leave for a draft early as their family has nothing, etc.

Showtimeljs

Jul 2, 2015
Huxley
No clue how Penn State can go on with Chambers.

Yeah, pretty sure it wasn't just poor wording if a guy feels like he needs to get his parents and administrators involved. Who talks about nooses in everyday conversations? This is either coming from a place of stupidity or hateful racist stupidity-neither one is something you want to see in your basketball coach.

The timing of this story coming out could put on the kind of pressure it takes to fire Chambers, but Penn State doesn't have a great history of dealing with bad actors...so he probably stays?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
You beat me to it...was going to share the same. Still LOTS of folks that fall into the "when I was in high school....." and "it made me tougher" and fail to realize that things can and should change. There are reasons why "running someone till they puke" is not a good idea, etc.

I've also heard recently folks defend these types of comments "can't you take a joke" or stuff like that and don't realize that you shouldn't joke about this.

Somewhat related, but that story of the young man in Charles City that "fans" shouted racially insensitive comments.....I literally saw folks in comments sections saying "show me the video evidence" (even after both schools and witnesses said it happened). We (all sides of issues) always want to justify our beliefs or find ways to not believe those counter "what happened before the video" etc.

The fact that no one did anything when it was happening really pisses me off.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Yeah, pretty sure it wasn't just poor wording if a guy feels like he needs to get his parents and administrators involved. Who talks about nooses in everyday conversations? This is either coming from a place of stupidity or hateful racist stupidity-neither one is something you want to see in your basketball coach.

The timing of this story coming out could put on the kind of pressure it takes to fire Chambers, but Penn State doesn't have a great history of dealing with bad actors...so he probably stays?
The in action of Penn State after it happened is alarming

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
The "I'm sorry if I offended anybody,...." cop-out.

The apology if you're not really sorry.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Ugh, I read about that.

I'll leave it at that the location of that particular incident, while not a fitting indication of the entire community, didn't surprise me one bit.

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
This is completely ridiculous. Why not just come out and say "I'm sorry I got caught." These bogus insensitive apologies are why stuff like this keeps happening. Hey look he apologized lets move on......B freaking S. If he was sorry he would have came out the day Rasir announced his transfer and said

"a few months ago I said something absolutely horrible and unacceptable and sadly offended Rasir and his family. Rasir transferred because my poor action is unforgivable and Rasir held me accountable for it. I deserve this. Again, while I apologized to Rasir and his family already, I want to apologize publicly for it to not only Rasir but the entire Penn State community. I will not comment any further."

Granted I am a mere high school coach. Some years I am above average, some years I am below. I mess up often and I'm am the 1st one to admit my actions, 90% of the time the kid didnt even realize it, but I did and it wrenched me until I pulled them aside to say I crossed the line. But I get so flipping tired of these high paid coaches only apologizing for guilt when they get caught. Our job, our oath, 1st and foremost is to groom young adults into adults in a competitive environment. Winning and losing is 2nd. Start doing your job.