Bolton on why he left Penn State

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Chambers is an easy guy to not like, that explains why his waiver process was so quiet. IT sucks that he had to roll with the punches until he could safely get away and be granted eligibility. Much respect for speaking up, it's never easy and there will always be people who doubt him. Prohm has gotten a lot of flack the last year, some deserving but I'm really glad he's our coach during this transformational time in our country.

Yep I would be absolutely shocked if CSP had something like this come out.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
According to Rasir, Chambers didn't apologize. It's one (stupid) thing to pretend like you don't know about what a noose represents. It's a whole other thing not to apologize.

He could have gone with the phony apology politicians and sports figures use "I am so sorry that YOU found what I said offensive."

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I can't get past this part - it's the part where 'systemic' comes into play - where he was sent to a psychologist to be taught "how to deal with the Coach's personality type"

that is so insidious and harmful

I think the systemic part is pretty much all inclusive since this is big time college sports. This case is racist as all get out but they probably would have sent a white guy to see the sports psychologist for something similar. You know, to make sure he was mentally fit and "tough" enough to play for Coach Dickhead. Hell, look at the talk here every time someone quits, especially if it is during the season or just before the season. Fans are all on boards calling them pussies and quitters without knowing a damn thing about what's going on behind the scenes. And not talking about guys just butting heads with coaches over playing time or game planning stuff.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
According to Rasir, Chambers didn't apologize. It's one (stupid) thing to pretend like you don't know about what a noose represents. It's a whole other thing not to apologize.

That's what gets me about this whole situation. What kind of toxic hubris do you have to have to not just own up to it and say you made a mistake.

It couldn't be that hard to just say" it's a phrase I used without thinking of the racial tone of it, but now that you've called it to my attention you are completely right and I won't use it again." That's likely the end of the story.

Reactions: jmeeksISU

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That's what gets me about this whole situation. What kind of toxic hubris do you have to have to not just own up to it and say you made a mistake.

It couldn't be that hard to just say" it's a phrase I used without thinking of the racial tone of it, but now that you've called it to my attention you are completely right and I won't use it again." That's likely the end of the story.

And there's nothing 'woke' about doing that. It starts the communication about where things are, and what can be done to get a better place.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Hearing chamber's is interviewing for Chris Doyle's open position.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Hopefully TOE trolls think of this next time before they make the usual stupid comments about transfers all being bad kids. Or evenly uglier and worse when they call them "thugs".

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Hopefully TOE trolls think of this next time before they make the usual stupid comments about transfers all being bad kids. Or evenly uglier and worse when they call them "thugs".

Well, the "thugs" comment is just part of systemic racism, not like that will stop anytime soon especially on anonymous boards. Hell, the stuff people post publicly on FB is even worse since it's not moderated. Surprised at some of the stuff people will post under there real names. Some FB groups at least police themselves as FB won't. Saw a bunch of posts last month deleted by admins of my local city civics page.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It's been referenced in other posts in this thread and in some of the articles that have been written, but what this boils down to for me is how Bolton had to see a psychologist to teach him how to deal with the coach's personality and the coach had to do none of that. What a complete sham. Even if you take the coach at his word and he didn't know the connotation of the word he used prior to saying it to Bolton, it was up to the player to conform? The coach doesn't get any instruction on it? That's so backwards.

Reactions: diaclone

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Couple thoughts.

Really happy that Rasir is able to speak out while a current player here. He seems like a really solid kid and I’m sure he talked with CSP about going public. Really proud of both Rasir and coach and the AD.

pat’s shoving Rasir out of the team was payback and really make his apology now hollow.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
It's been referenced in other posts in this thread and in some of the articles that have been written, but what this boils down to for me is how Bolton had to see a psychologist to teach him how to deal with the coach's personality and the coach had to do none of that. What a complete sham. Even if you take the coach at his word and he didn't know the connotation of the word he used prior to saying it to Bolton, it was up to the player to conform? The coach doesn't get any instruction on it? That's so backwards.
I agree, and he turned the team against him apparently. Disgusting.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Just read a long article on the Undefeated about Rasir, Chambers and coaching culture, looks like PSU was aware that Rasir was going to tell his story and trying to get some of his side out right away.

"Later in the conversation, I informed him, probably for the first time, that he insulted the Bolton family by saying Ray and Chalonda were “organized” and “well-spoken.”

“I don’t recall that,” Chambers said. “I’ve been in this world almost my entire life. I’ve been playing basketball since I was in second, third grade. I’ve grown up in this world.”

He stopped talking. There was silence.
Yet here we were, I said, talking about a noose and insults to Black parents. “How could you, of all people, be in this position?”

I was trying to get Chambers to explain how he could grow up in “this world” and still make this mistake. To reflect on how he could be entrusted with so many young Black lives, but had never taken the time to learn what nooses mean to Black America. I wanted him to think about how he could say he loves us — which I believe he truly means — and still disrespect us.

It didn’t work. “Again, the word I chose is unfortunate,” Chambers said."
https://theundefeated.com/features/...sketball-coach-points-to-larger-ncaa-problem/

Reactions: CapnCy

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Is it just me or did he still not apologize?

"I can't apologize enough" isn't actually an apology

Chambers is a dickasaurus rex.

He is only doing this because he got caught and doesn't want to get fired.

But he is apologizing -- heartfelt or not.

* * *​

By the way, we are really lucky to have Rasir. Not only is he a great player about to flower into a star (and I hope he has the chance to do that and take over the leadership of the team from Tyrese this year), but that letter was some "I will" level eloquence.

Reactions: aobie

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron