SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Glad you enjoyed it. Going to discuss gap, zone, and man blocking schemes, line skill composition, and then apply it to reviews of ISU lineman and positional candidates.

I know the Oline position For Iowa HSs was completely changed in the late 80s when they allowed use of hands for blocking. It really gave Olinemen a fighting chance and opened up pass protection.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I know the Oline position For Iowa HSs was completely changed in the late 80s when they allowed use of hands for blocking. It really gave Olinemen a fighting chance and opened up pass protection.

And by the mid-late 90s even small town schools were running high volume passing/spread offenses. Never considered the changing rules into that equation.

Iirc QB mechanics also evolved in that time frame.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
And by the mid-late 90s even small town schools were running high volume passing/spread offenses. Never considered the changing rules into that equation.

Pretty much. I was at my first HS at the time, a class A school and us running a single back or an I and putting the fullback in motion was seen as kinda crazy at the time. We even went with a 4-3 defense that really caught people off guard because the thought was you had to have 8 guys blasting in at all times. We ran a boatload of screens and ate that thought to pieces.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011

In contrast when 8 man was started in Iowa in the early 2000s the power run game was king in Southern Iowa. Coaches had not figured out how to run to much of an offense with only 8 player formations.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
One minor thing that bugs me offensively is giving up on a play. I hate to see a ball carrier run out bounds before the marker to avoid a hit, an unsustained block, a ball carrier held up by a defender with a nearby blocker unwilling to move the pile forward, or a QB that throws the ball out of bounds on third down without pressure. To me, a punt is a type of turnover, and should be fiercely avoided, even if that means 4th down plays. MC might not agree because he has so much confidence in the defense to get the ball back.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Glad you enjoyed it. Going to discuss gap, zone, and man blocking schemes, line skill composition, and then apply it to reviews of ISU lineman and positional candidates.
Well, don’t hold back and wait a while on the next segment on my account. :rolleyes:

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
One minor thing that bugs me offensively is giving up on a play. I hate to see a ball carrier run out bounds before the marker to avoid a hit, an unsustained block, a ball carrier held up by a defender with a nearby blocker unwilling to move the pile forward, or a QB that throws the ball out of bounds on third down without pressure. To me, a punt is a type of turnover, and should be fiercely avoided, even if that means 4th down plays. MC might not agree because he has so much confidence in the defense to get the ball back.

What bugs me is seeing a RB like Montgomery have to make a bunch of moves in the backfield to get back to the LOS. Or, churn out a tough 4-5 yard run and then when he's tackled, there's 3 OLs standing around to help him up. ISU has NOT been good at sustaining blocks and that needs to get better.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron