JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Putting on a brisket tomorrow as well.
I inject with Butcher's Prime, use Oakridge rub, and pink paper.

Oh, and smoke rings are great but it literally doesn't matter in the end. Visually it's really cool to achieve that but dont stress it.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Smoking a 9 lb boston butt today for our neighborhood get together. Would have been nice to know I was supposed to do this yesterday or I would have got it ready last night. Damn wife and neighbor women.....

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
The thing that was a game changer for me was smoking brats. I’ve always been a beer boil + sear guy, but we’ve started straight up smoking them and love it. Going to put a tin full of beer on the bottom rack while smoking them later today.

Does the casing for you come out tough? I have smoked a brats a few times, and each time the brats come tough.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
For what it's worth to all you people doing brisket for the first time. While temp is a good indicator, with brisket texture is a better tell for when a brisket is done. Usually happens in the 200-205 range put when you probe the brisket the probe should slide in with the resistance of butter once you get through the bark.

I commend those trying it for the first time on such a big holiday. When I started doing brisket I did 2 trial runs with someone who's been doing it for years. A few years later and I have my own style down.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Smoking a 9 lb boston butt today for our neighborhood get together. Would have been nice to know I was supposed to do this yesterday or I would have got it ready last night. Damn wife and neighbor women.....

You mean it's not like you just pop it in the microwave for 10 minutes?

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I commend those trying it for the first time on such a big holiday. When I started doing brisket I did 2 trial runs with someone who's been doing it for years. A few years later and I have my own style down.

Meh. If I **** it up, I **** it up. It’s just my wife, kids, parents and inlaws. I’ve already disappointed them a million times, so I can’t do much more damage.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
You mean it's not like you just pop it in the microwave for 10 minutes?

Well when the wife told me I said sure whatever, I smoke stuff for my neighbors all the time. Oh and by the way we got a 9 lb pork butt this morning. FACEPALM.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Just took it out and wrapped in foil (don’t have butcher paper). Looks pretty good so far. Will have another update in about 3.5 hours. Plan on taking it out, and adding some honey, then putting in oven for about 30 mins at 225, then a towel wrap in a cooler for at least an hour. Thoughts?

tplumm

Mar 3, 2010
Ankeny
Son won a 22.5 Weber Smokey Mountain at his Christmas party and gifted it to me; this is just my 7th or 8th run with it so far; have done chicken breasts, pork ribs, pork loins, sausages and poor mans burnt ends. Plan to tackle a brisket some time in the near term now that I’ve kinda figured out how to get the best results.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Son won a 22.5 Weber Smokey Mountain at his Christmas party and gifted it to me; this is just my 7th or 8th run with it so far; have done chicken breasts, pork ribs, pork loins, sausages and poor mans burnt ends. Plan to tackle a brisket some time in the near term now that I’ve kinda figured out how to get the best results.
The WSM is a great smoker. Can maintain temps a long time.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Got the chucks on the top rack and the brat patties on the bottom. 225 for just over 90 minutes turned out well on the brats!

873977B2-565C-45A4-92AD-679F54C7BAC7.jpeg

Reactions: JP4CY

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Just took it out and wrapped in foil (don’t have butcher paper). Looks pretty good so far. Will have another update in about 3.5 hours. Plan on taking it out, and adding some honey, then putting in oven for about 30 mins at 225, then a towel wrap in a cooler for at least an hour. Thoughts?

Sounds perfect to me, I would go with 300 in the oven though.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Does the casing for you come out tough? I have smoked a brats a few times, and each time the brats come tough.

I don’t know about link brats or @Gonzo with his comparison to his own body parts, but skinless or in patty form, probably the best tasting I’ve had! Low and slow over hot and fast any day! They retain a lot of the fat when smoked as the hot and fast way it boils out due to the high temp they are cooked at.

Help Support Us

Become a patron