What's Your Most Prized Cyclone Possession?

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I have an ISU basketball signed by the entire '06-'07 ISU MBB team.

I think I also have a couple items signed by some football players from a fan day or a Spring Game or something from the mid-late 2000's.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
The card that Johnny Orr unexpected mailed to me.

I was so pumped after the double overtime win against EIU in January of 1984 (I got tickets for myself and two brothers for that game for Christmas).

I found a greeting card that said, "Thank You, you made my day." I crossed out "day" and hand wrote in "year." Then mailed it off to Johnny Orr c/o ISU Basketball the Monday after the game. I'm pretty sure I added a bit about how nice it was over here in Eastern Iowa now.

And completely unexpectedly I received in my mailbox about 5 days later an envelope from the ISU Basketball office. Inside was his handwritten note, "Hey Mean Dean, I know what it's like dealing with those Hawks. Give 'em hell!" And was signed "Johnny Orr"

I have several ISU items scattered around my places both in IA and FL but that's the one. I still kind of don't believe he took the time to respond to a random fan's card at all, let alone during basketball season.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I am probably NOT going to send in my story of stealing a Mankato State warmup jersey when we played them at the Armory in 1969. Back in the days when students sat within arms reach of the opponents bench. :rolleyes:

I need to find where I have that boxed away and mail it the Minnesota State (aka Mankato State) peeps.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Jake Sullivan was my favorite Cyclone while I was in school and I have a signed ball from him as I worked with his Aunt in Omaha. I also have all the classics like a few Hoibergs, and the team with Niang/Morris/etc.

My favorite though are these two posters my wife got me for my birthday one year. She looked for a couple years for something signed by Johnny Orr and she found these. I found them pretty funny. Also signed by Walden.

Shni3c4.jpg

ng4ipcs.jpg

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Correct. And there are commemorative Pepsi bottles for both years. The 77's are much more common. The 78's are more scarce. BTW, ISU won 31-0 in 78. The ONLY ISU/Iowa game I've ever been at and seen the good guys win. Versus about 6 that went the other way.
I have/had one of those sitting at the farm. Will need to check if it’s still there. 31-0 score was on it.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Used to have a basketball signed by Jacy Halloway, but probably a cyclone letterman ring that was my grandfathers. He was a professor and served on the athletic council.

Reactions: TheCampanile

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
A basketball autographed by the 2008/2009 women's basketball team that Coach Bill Fennelly presented to me when I retired. It is one of 4 signed basketballs I have..

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Signed Hoiberg game jersey from the year he wore 40 in honor of Chris Street. Son now has it in his room.

Johnny gave me his hat after playing a round of golf with him when I was 14. Sharing a cart with him for 18 holes was quite the learning experience!!

Jdk

Feb 27, 2019
Number 1 Iowa state semi tractor and trailer of 250 made in 1999.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron