Friday OT #2 - Oops, Then I Did It Again

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
One time recently, my husband wondered what it would be like to brine chicken in pickle juice before smoking it - and the answer is ******* amazing, so now he does it almost every time. I've done the same thing with artsy-craftsy pieces - tried to fix something or dropped something in paint, and liked the accidental end result better than the original intent.

What are some things you either discovered accidentally or on a whim, and found out was magical?

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I created a dish with bowtie pasta, home-made pesto (sans nuts), pico de gallo, and a sandwich meat of your choice (we use deli ham or turkey). Delicious!

Reactions: Angie

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Don't hate me.

I like to add a bit of BBQ sauce to the top of my spaghetti. Not a lot. But something about adding the smokey sweetness to the spicy tang of marinara seems magical to me.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Don't hate me.

I like to add a bit of BBQ sauce to the top of my spaghetti. Not a lot. But something about adding the smokey sweetness to the spicy tang of marinara seems magical to me.

Not going to lie, that sounds bizarre - but I think that a touch of BBQ sauce on top of a salad with ranch can be good. I don't generally love Hickory Park, but they have a salad w/smoked chicken on it that pairs the two, and it was far better than I ever expected.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
One day I went out to mow my lawn and my mower was outta gas. I decided to edge first and then run to the store for gas for the mower later.

I'll never mow first again.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
This isnt something that I discovered but was rather discovered by americas test kitchen when trying to find the best way to make baked whole chicken.

During one of their tests the power went out. Instead of scrapping the test they rode it out and ended up with chicken that had a crispy skin but perfectly juicy interior. So they tweaked what happened to get the best results. Slightly higher temp at the start then turn the oven off.
Tried the method and will never bake whole chickens the same way again.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Like many others it's probably cooking mishaps. Either screwing something up, or freestyling when you don't have the right ingredients. The sad thing though is I always tell myself I will remember what I did to repeat it and don't write it down, then forget it 100% of the time.

Drunk kitchen ideas are always good ones too, when they actually turn out good sober. One time I really wanted ice cream so I just mixed chocolate milk with root beer to create a semi-root beer float, I ended up loving it. My wife, not so much.

Help Support Us

Become a patron