Grinnell cancels fall sports

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
This is funny because I read the first page of the COVID thread in the cave and I think you had to correct some math in that thread as well.

I wonder if CW is open to starting a tutoring forum

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
So those who have had the symptoms prior can confirm they probably already had it??

I'm not going to do the work for you. That stunts learning.

I did get you this video. Give it a watch and solve your equation. If you're still struggling after that, I'll go step by step to solve.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
your right so far it's a bit more then 99.5% considering there are 2.68 million confirmed cases and less then 130k confirmed deaths so far and who knows how far the death rate will drop once more are antibody tested...... pretty sure I had it back late February early March along with my co-workers at the same time... damn cough lasted almost a month and felt tired/weak as **** that whole time as well.... flu and strep came back negative, and I had most if not all of the symptoms. I hardly if ever get sick to begin with...

That would be a mortality rate of almost 5%. If you were pretty sure you had Covid19, did you completely quarantine and isolate yourself so you did not infect others more vulnerable than yourself? Or did you run around infecting others? And WHY didn’t you get tested for Covid19 if you were pretty sure you had it?

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
And WHY didn’t you get tested for Covid19 if you were pretty sure you had it?
If you recall, testing was not readily available in late Feb/early March. I have three children in health care that had numerous patients exhibiting symptoms like those described.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
If you recall, testing was not readily available in late Feb/early March. I have three children in health care that had numerous patients exhibiting symptoms like those described.

Testing is still way behind. Remember that Covid19 deaths are only attributed to those who have been tested. There are likely many more deaths attributed to pneumonia that might have been Covid19 deaths. So assuming Covid19 cases are under reported, then deaths due to Covid19 are under reported as well.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Oh great, glad to see the turn this post took.

Cancelled football due to having 28 players? ****, playing offense, defense and special teams was great. But seriously, that sucks they couldn't get more players last year.

That's big numbers back in 90s style Class A ball that I played, haha.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
replied in that thread currently the only ones really doing that are the red cross during blood drives, yet there are currently none near by that will be easy to make... and local docs aren't going to just test because I think I had it with out a good reasoning...

I've yet to hear of anyone getting denied an antibody test.

If that's the case, wherever you live is way behind the times on those.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
anyone else getting tired of this +99.5% survival rate...

I feel you but I also know it does kill some people and severely hurt others. At some point economic disasters and other unintended consequences could kill even more people. It just plain sucks as no matter how you look at it we lose.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I feel you but I also know it does kill some people and severely hurt others. At some point economic disasters and other unintended consequences could kill even more people. It just plain sucks as no matter how you look at it we lose.

link? Haven’t heard much about an insane rise in suicides, murders, etc.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Grinnell should cancel all sports forever. Nothing to do with Covid. They just really suck at sports.
Not sure if serious. Also depends upon what your operational definition is of "sucks." All the following will be based upon 7+ years of data. Football - you are absolutely correct: they are really bad. Women's basketball has been below .500 & are not very good. Men's Baseball & Soccer teams have consistently been in the .500 range (with some very GOOD years) in the past 7-8 years. Women's Softball used to suck - but now they have had about a .500 season the past 3 years. Women's soccer also .500. Men's Basketball 139-77 in the past 9 seasons & only ONE losing season. Men's XC - Conference champs or 2nd place finishes year after year. Men's Tennis - a perennial power in the conference (usually champs or runners-up year in and year out). Women's Golf - Conference Champs the past 7 years. Women's XC - Conference Champs 3 of the last 7 years (never finishing lower than 3rd). Women's Tennis - Have had over a .600 record the past 8 seasons and were 12-0 last season until the Co-Vid cancellation of the season.

So, do you stand by your claim and discredit these amazing student athletes who compete at a high level and also have to compete in an incredibly rigorous and demanding educational setting?!

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Not sure if serious. Also depends upon what your operational definition is of "sucks." All the following will be based upon 7+ years of data. Football - you are absolutely correct: they are really bad. Women's basketball has been below .500 & are not very good. Men's Baseball & Soccer teams have consistently been in the .500 range (with some very GOOD years) in the past 7-8 years. Women's Softball used to suck - but now they have had about a .500 season the past 3 years. Women's soccer also .500. Men's Basketball 139-77 in the past 9 seasons & only ONE losing season. Men's XC - Conference champs or 2nd place finishes year after year. Men's Tennis - a perennial power in the conference (usually champs or runners-up year in and year out). Women's Golf - Conference Champs the past 7 years. Women's XC - Conference Champs 3 of the last 7 years (never finishing lower than 3rd). Women's Tennis - Have had over a .600 record the past 8 seasons and were 12-0 last season until the Co-Vid cancellation of the season.

So, do you stand by your claim and discredit these amazing student athletes who compete at a high level and also have to compete in an incredibly rigorous and demanding educational setting?!

They are amazing students playing glorified intramurals. They are a low level Div III. Grinnell's high school teams could probably beat them.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
link? Haven’t heard much about an insane rise in suicides, murders, etc.
No link. But the insane rich are likely doing 1 of the following:
1. Laying off employees to drive the bottom line (company I work for is taking this route)
2. Profiting off of tests that don't work https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...d449a4-8311-11ea-a3eb-e9fc93160703_story.html
3. Profiting off of fewer supplies coming in from other countries, see the lumber industry
4. Buying a ton of stock knowing they can weather the storm and wait for the economy to come back

Those who face the consequences:
1. People who are laid off
2. Taxpayers whose money was essentially embezzled
3. Homeowners paying 50% markups on lumber for projects
4. The poor and middle class as the rich widen the gap

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
They are amazing students playing glorified intramurals. They are a low level Div III. Grinnell's high school teams could probably beat them.
Okay - so D-III sports suck. With that operational definition, I guess you are correct.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron