Where are they now: Tonya Burns

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I overlapped with her time at ISU by a couple years. In the off-season, I was playing pick-up with some friends and Tonya and other members of the women's team (which, to be frank, was not very competitive at the time) challenged us to some games. I remember pulling up at the FT line on a fast break for a jumper and Tonya ran up alongside me and slapped that shot so that it rolled onto the next court :)

She was a good ballplayer and handled herself very well during seasons that the WBB team maybe won fewer than 5 games.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
For those who don't know, Burns is one of the few names hanging from the rafters in Hilton Coliseum for women's basketball and the only one from the pre-Fennelly era. She literally wrote the records books when there wasn't much else to consistently write about on the program level. Great story to shed some light on who she was and is.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
It was before my time, but I think I have a sports card of her from a late 80s set.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Tonya Burns rankings in ISU stat categories (source: cyclones.com)

Single game
Rebounds: T-1st (23, with Angie Welle)
Field goals made: T-1st (18, with Lindsey Wilson)

Single season
Scoring average: 7th
Field goals made: 4th
Field goal%: 8th

Career
Scoring average: T-4th (currently with Ashley Joens)
Field goals made: 2nd (3rd in FG att)
FG%: 10th
Rebounds: 5th
Rebound average: 5th
Blocked shots: T-9th (with Anna Prins)

Reactions: BoxsterCy

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
She was great when the program was not. Nice story on her, and happy to see she has been successful.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Same team in today's collegiate climate, you wonder if she would have transferred after her soph year. Kudos to her and Abdul-Aziz who both stuck with ISU when they could have moved on to far better coaches and programs.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron