Tire recommendation needed

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
IMO: FWD with winter tires > AWD with all season tires. AWD with winter tires would be boss!
just bought a set of Toyo Celsius CUV all weather tires this past December. they do great in snow and you don't have to worry about swapping them out for the change of seasons.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Had bridgestone duelers go 80,000 miles and still probably had 5k left on them until they would have been light on tread. Put the same thing back on and have 40k and there are no thoughts of needing new ones. Were about 900 for the set to be put on.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Cooper or Hankook on my commuter. I get massive highway miles on both.

Michelin on my real car. Recently went away from a lower profile and the ride is so much better that it is crazy. I also really don't even notice the difference in looks much at all.

I used to use Firestone's when I drove a truck, the A/T's used to be excellent tires.

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
Thoughts on Hankook?

Last three sets of tires on my various vehicles have all been Hankook. I have no complaints, and the cost is right in between the low ends and the Michelins of the world. Handling in the snow has always been acceptable. I also like my Nokians before that -- probably a bit better in snow, although they wore a little quicker than I was hoping (I'm not a religious rotator or pressure checker, FWIW).

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
just bought a set of Toyo Celsius CUV all weather tires this past December. they do great in snow and you don't have to worry about swapping them out for the change of seasons.

Those are one I am looking for our edge. How do you like them?

BanjoCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2012
Fleet Farm has the buy 3 get 1 deal thru this weekend on coopers, plus a ~$70 mail in rebate. Just bought some new AT3 4S for my truck. I had the same tires on my last pickup for about a year or so before trading it in. 3 peak snowflake rated, did really well in the snow on my last truck.

Service guy said the deal ends this weekend, but will be back on the 10th FYI. They also have the SRX and a passenger touring tire on the same deal for cars/SUVs.

Reactions: CTTB78

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Thoughts on Hankook?
I forgot to mention Hankook. Put them in the category of hit or miss. I had a set that were OEM on a new car and they were crap. Fine in perfect conditions, but if it rained or snowed, forget about it. Replaced them with only 15k miles on them. Their higher-end tires review well, however.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
My brother owns a tire shop. He used to be heavy on Hankook sales but has gone to Falken for light trucks if that means anything to you. I'm running the Falken MT right now. It's a good tire but it's not a Duratrac which is the only Goodyear tire I'd run.
I forgot to mention Falken. Just put a set on my daughter's Corolla and so far they are awesome and a great value as well.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Those are one I am looking for our edge. How do you like them?
so far I like them a lot. maybe a bit of an increase in road noise from the factory Bridgestone Dueler HP sport A/S tires, but other wise just as advertised so far. They do well in all conditions, took a bit of a hit on fuel mileage which was expected over the stock tires. will see how they wear as we only have just over 7,000 miles on them though.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I have had great luck with Michelin tires on my vehicles. Had lots of sets on cars. Have had 2 sets of LTX M/S tires on SUVs and great tires. I have had Hankook Dynapro ATM on trucks but ended up trading the trucks shortly after (not anything with tires). I loved the look and handling and look of them, but can't speak to durability. Had really good reviews on Consumer Reports.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
Michelin's are more expensive, but it is worth it to me. Being stranded on the road even once is worth a few extra bucks in my book. I feel it is one of those you get what you pay for things. I don't skimp on tires and batteries.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Michelin's are more expensive, but it is worth it to me. Being stranded on the road even once is worth a few extra bucks in my book. I feel it is one of those you get what you pay for things. I don't skimp on tires and batteries.

I don't see how micheilins reduce the "being stranded on the side of the road" compared to the other main brands. Also, Michelin tires have been suffering from weathering and premature sidewall cracking the last few years. I haven't been impressed with the last 2 sets and switched brands. Tires are like cars, everyone has their own experience and preferences - glad to hear Michelin are working well for you.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
$460 set of AT cheapos on the work beater.. it's only been driven 3,000 miles in the 8 months that I have owned it though anyway...
I don't see how micheilins reduce the "being stranded on the side of the road" compared to the other main brands. Also, Michelin tires have been suffering from weathering and premature sidewall cracking the last few years. I haven't been impressed with the last 2 sets and switched brands. Tires are like cars, everyone has their own experience and preferences - glad to hear Michelin are working well for you.
yep the set of tires that were on the work beater originally were Michelins that had weather cracked all over.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
General Altimax RT43’s are fantastic mid-range tires. Had 4 sets on 3 different vehicles and have not yet had a bad experience.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Got a subaru before last winter, not sure how anything can be better than that in the winter.
Got an Impreza 2 years ago with low-profile tires. The first winter was not good. Got taller, skinnier winter tires and now it's a beast in the snow.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
General Altimax RT43’s are fantastic mid-range tires. Had 4 sets on 3 different vehicles and have not yet had a bad experience.
almost went with those was a close choice between them and the Falken Ziex ze001 and then the Toyos I ultimately went with. a co-worker has the Falkens on his company car a Subaru Forester likes them as well for what he does.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Really great tire. I was set to put those on my daughter's Corolla but Discount Tire had the Falkens in stock and had just sold out of the RT43s.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Decided to go w/ a set of Coopers. Consumer reports seems to like them. Looks like fleet farm is having a buy 3 get 1 free sale this weekend, in case anyone else is interested.

Reactions: CTTB78

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
For a truck I’m a firm believer in running BFG All-Terrains. As long as you keep them rotated you’ll get 70k miles out of them on a 1/2 ton truck for most people. I’ve tried other ones but keep coming back to them.

Old87

Sep 30, 2012
I am not impressed with Falken tires. They came as the OEM tires on my wife’s and my 2019 Nissan Rogues. We had SIX flat tires In less than 18 months between the two cars. Each car was driven less than 10K miles. They have been replaced with Goodyear Max Life tires. Much better.