MLB: 2020 Chicago Cubs Season Thread

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Cubs almost have to go out and see if they can sign some kind of veteran starter from the free agent pool if they have any shot of competing in a 60 game season right? If this was a normal season or even a 100 game season I would be OK with trying out Mills or Rea for that spot but after Darvish and Hendricks you have to be concerned about the decline Lester showed last year and the inconsistency of Chatwood then to add to the mix another pitcher without much to show for as a starter in the big leagues you can't just give away games at the back end of your rotation like that when nearly every game is going to have a big impact on your playoff chances. Guys still out there looking for a team include Tyson Ross, Marco Estrada, Clay Buchholz, Jason Vargas, Matt Harvey, and Andrew Cashner all who have a lot of MLB experience starting games. I don't know what their asking prices are or for how many years but Q and Chatwood are free agents after this season and Lester has an option year too so even if you have to offer a 2 or 3 year deal to 1 of those guys there is a need for the rotation starting next season too.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Cubs almost have to go out and see if they can sign some kind of veteran starter from the free agent pool if they have any shot of competing in a 60 game season right? If this was a normal season or even a 100 game season I would be OK with trying out Mills or Rea for that spot but after Darvish and Hendricks you have to be concerned about the decline Lester showed last year and the inconsistency of Chatwood then to add to the mix another pitcher without much to show for as a starter in the big leagues you can't just give away games at the back end of your rotation like that when nearly every game is going to have a big impact on your playoff chances. Guys still out there looking for a team include Tyson Ross, Marco Estrada, Clay Buchholz, Jason Vargas, Matt Harvey, and Andrew Cashner all who have a lot of MLB experience starting games. I don't know what their asking prices are or for how many years but Q and Chatwood are free agents after this season and Lester has an option year too so even if you have to offer a 2 or 3 year deal to 1 of those guys there is a need for the rotation starting next season too.

It sounds like a good idea, but you'll hear Ricketts chirping before that happens.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
It sounds like a good idea, but you'll hear Ricketts chirping before that happens.

I know they'll use the money excuse and go with an internal pitcher but if you aren't developing pitchers through the minor leagues this is hand you have to play with and that means spending some money on a rotation if you can't bring a good cheap option up through the minors like so many other organizations do. The rotation is going to be a huge problem next season when you have 2 or 3 spots needing to be filled and very little in the minors that are ready to fill those spots immediately so going to have to pay up 1 way or another. If you can land a decent veteran guy on a 2 or 3 year deal now you could probably pay less over the length of the contract in this current market than you might after this season is over.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Well, Quintana cutting his hand doing dishes all but guarantees that Eloy is going to hit 40 homers this year. What a bad trade.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I know they'll use the money excuse and go with an internal pitcher but if you aren't developing pitchers through the minor leagues this is hand you have to play with and that means spending some money on a rotation if you can't bring a good cheap option up through the minors like so many other organizations do. The rotation is going to be a huge problem next season when you have 2 or 3 spots needing to be filled and very little in the minors that are ready to fill those spots immediately so going to have to pay up 1 way or another. If you can land a decent veteran guy on a 2 or 3 year deal now you could probably pay less over the length of the contract in this current market than you might after this season is over.

Oh, you're right. Heck, that's how Theo sold the plan in the first place.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
2021 Schedule already released:

Ecf_q82X0AEB9Vh

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
The 5th going to be the **** the bed inning this year?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Ian Happ made an awful play on that hit.

Sox have a salty lineup.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
That cotton kid should not see the field for awhile

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
2019 me: Jfc Edwards Jr., just throw a ******* strike and let them put the ******* thing in play.

2020 me: Jfc Cotton, just don't throw the ******* thing belt high and over the heart of the plate